Super Soaker Hydro Blitz Modification

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
dragonclass

Super Soaker Hydro Blitz Modification

Post by dragonclass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:26 am

Note: thread split. Originally from Internal Pics: Super Soaker Hydro Blitz

Hey isoaker, thanks for the pics. They helped me get at the blitz valve to repair the spring retainer. Found the weak spot I guess. No matter, I've decided to experiment since it was apart. The trigger will now control both valves, should be interesting. Just mod'ed the control rod to attach to the stream valve actuator. Along with this, I've decided to make a 2000-type laminator that fits in the blitz nozzle(cocktail straws/screen repair kit). If this works well, I'll retro it to my MX and 2700's drench nozzles. We had a church picnic last Sunday, and brought fourteen soakers. Upon watching the kids(and adults) use them, I wanted more out of them. More to come including pics. Later, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box

isoaker

Re: Internal Pics: Super Soaker Hydro Blitz

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:36 am

@Dragonclass: glad the pics helped, though I'm a little curious how you managed to make both nozzles operated from the trigger. I presume that you left the nozzle selector valve in place so only one nozzle would work at a time. However, the stream nozzle valve needs to open for water to get to the 'Blitz' PC and nozzle area (unless you're hoping for the main PC to push water straight out of the Blitz nozzle).

Pics and info on how successful your change is would be great when you get a chance!

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:50 pm

You're 100% on target. The only problem is that I really have no way of keeping water from the Blitz PC without major surgery, so the blast will suffer. Test with the laminator look promising except I need other screen material for durability. Here's the setup. More to come, Brad
Attachments
AS HB mod.JPG
AS HB mod.JPG (40.57 KiB) Viewed 9205 times
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Interesting and, frankly, I'm surprised that even works! What I wonder is the following: since you're just powering the Blitz nozzle now via the main PC and not making any real use of the secondary CPS-chamber, why not simply lock the Blitz nozzle open instead of having the trigger wire extending to the first MAx-D valve? The first valve controls flow no matter what and since the diverter selects which nozzle is in use, there's really no reason then to not just keep the Blitz nozzle open.

Just a thought, of course. Good luck with your mod!

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Probably a better idea since that actuator might break again. Good gel CA is being used, but that means nothing. It was an experiment to see if it would operate both. So, I'll go with option "B" for reliability sake. Time to put together a better laminator. Later, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:56 pm

The mods continue. Control rod gone, Blitz valve actuator CA'ed. Here's my latest laminator. Not too much longer until a full test.
Forgot to mention the complete materials list: gaint straw is from a huge pixie stick you can find at some stores(Thank-you to my wife Lori for that idea), cocktail straws and nylon screen repair roll you can find at most department stores. OK, thats it.
Attachments
laminator v2.JPG
laminator v2.JPG (39.06 KiB) Viewed 9181 times
AS HB mod V2.JPG
AS HB mod V2.JPG (39.98 KiB) Viewed 9179 times
Last edited by dragonclass on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Quite an interesting mod you've got going there! Thanks for sharing the pics and let us know how testing goes, particularly with your homemade laminator! I'm going to split this thread momentarily, though, as it has taken a new direction.

dragonclass

Re: Super Soaker Hydro Blitz Modification

Post by dragonclass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Sound goods. Almost ready to go....

BTW, the screens were switched to squares that are cut, folded and superglued(gel CA) around the cocktail straws to prevent them from moving. Later, Brad
Attachments
AS HB lam V2 nzl.JPG
AS HB lam V2 nzl.JPG (22.08 KiB) Viewed 9156 times
Last edited by dragonclass on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Test fire SAT. As expected, the blast speed/range is on the slow/short(17') side because of the intact Blitz PC. With that, it wasn't enough to overcome the front screen. After removing that, you can see the stream is quite focused. I'll have better photos later. I'm thinking for the rest of the drenching nozzles on the (2500?)2700, 4100, and MX, I'll just use the straws. Hope this helps other people. See ya, Brad
Attachments
AS HB lam V3 nzl.JPG
AS HB lam V3 nzl.JPG (22.83 KiB) Viewed 9143 times
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 2.JPG
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 2.JPG (14.15 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 1.JPG
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 1.JPG (14.52 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:52 am

Interesting mods and nice job w/ the straws. How's the range on the new stream? There weren't any pics showing how the stream goes for the rest of the shot.

Re-locating the main (more powerful) PC and placing it at the location of the 2nd PC, then re-connecting the valve would create better lamination, but at the cost of disabling the small stream. (and some epoxy putty to plug things up) Actually, the small stream could work with a little modification to the firing mode selector valve (diverter or whatever you want to call it), perhaps by drilling so that it becomes a 3-way which can be rotated to open up the small stream then closed to stop shooting it. However, I've never really handled a HydroBlitz and really can't speak for it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks C-A_99. The new stream is slow, and range seems to be around 17-20 feet. We'll get better measurements and pics today. I've thought about capping off/removing the Blitz bladder(can't move the main) to make it closer to a 2000's output, but decided for the sake of water conservation I'm going to pass. Its weird to think the HB has the same size PC as a 2000(30oz), until it hits you! It may take longer(2-4 seconds I think), but it still empties the entire chamber. More tests to come. Have fun, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Alright, here are the specs:
- 29.5oz in 3.07 sec(9x) @ 16.7 feet/45 degrees
- 29.9oz in 10.35 sec(3x) @ 32 feet/45 degrees

Here are some close ups:
Attachments
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 6.JPG
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 6.JPG (39.47 KiB) Viewed 9053 times
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 4.JPG
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 4.JPG (60.25 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 3.JPG
soaker test fire mod ed AS HB 3.JPG (45.43 KiB) Viewed 9050 times
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Mon May 26, 2014 3:03 pm

:cps2000: So, I'm back in the game and wanting to convert the Blitz into what it should have been: kin to the 2000 & 2500. I'm needing people's thoughts as to what kind of elbow or hose I should use as a replacement for the "T" and blitz PC. The other piece is to replace the main bladder with a McMaster-Carr high performance rubber tube like Wayne Schmidt did with his CPS2000. Later, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue May 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Yes, use the exact hose that Wayne Schmidt used. I put it in my 2000 and it has the same if not more power.
"The world is yours" - Nas

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue May 27, 2014 6:15 pm

I have seen photos of hydro-blitz internals before and what you did the first try and think I know why this failed to work for you. Because of the all deadspace in between the main PC and the only effective nozzle (In stock form) the water is moving at a snails pace before it reaches it. Super Soaker tried to fix this by giving you a second chamber much closer. it works by at the cost of sustained shot time, you need to re add a second chamber and test fire.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:52 pm

the oncoming storm wrote:Because of the all deadspace in between the main PC and the only effective nozzle (In stock form) the water is moving at a snails pace before it reaches it. Super Soaker tried to fix this by giving you a second chamber much closer. it works by at the cost of sustained shot time, you need to re add a second chamber and test fire.
Yep, explained all that when I posted the shot pics. And no, I haven't deleted the blitz pc yet. I believe one of the prototypes probably didn't have the second pc and acted much closer to the CPS2000, which to hasbro wasn't a good thing. But I think the walls of the Blitz's main pc are thicker even though they seem to have the same 30 oz volume. I'll find out sooner or later.
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)