Sticky Ball Valve - How do I repair Ball Valve triggers?

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:17 am

For the Past month, my Lightning has developed the common and unfortunate tendency to keep firing after you let go of the trigger. I opened it up, and found that the problem was not the spring to pull the valve shut as I had expected, but that the ball valve was sticking horribly. I've opened it as far as I can, but there is some kind of glue that is stopping me from getting directly to the ball inside the valve. I've tried lubricating using W-D40 from as many different directions as I can find, but with no effect.

Is there a tried and true method for fixing this problem? Any Ideas would be appreciated.

I really wish that Hasbro would go back to the old triggers. I've got a CPS 1000 and its still working perfectly after who knows how-many years of use.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 am

Yeah, the new triggers are quite annoying, the old ones were much easier to use, often moved well, and good to use and do tap shots with.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:48 pm

Spray silicon spray down the largest nozzle. I found that WD-40 just makes the problem worse, but silicon spray makes it like new again. Good luck!

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:00 pm

Some help you are, that made absolutly no difference. Thanks for nothing, now I've wasted five bucks.

-B.D.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:04 pm

WaterWolf wrote:Some help you are, that made absolutly no difference. Thanks for nothing, now I've wasted five bucks.
Woah--do I sense hostility here? None of the suggested methods are guaranteed to work, they're just comments that helpful people made. I agree that losing the money can be unpleasant, but you don't need to respond so negatively. I'm sure you can use the silicon lubricant spray for pumps or whatever in the future--it truly is amazing stuff.

Seriously, though--such comments really aren't appreciated.

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:45 pm

Jeez, dude! Relax! It's five bucks. We're trying to help. Besides, it's not like you can't just buy another. If not now, probably next year.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Ya, sorry. I was feeling in a bad mood after working with my guns for several hours with no results. Sorry again, I'm cool now.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try using a hypodermic needle to squirt it into the ball-valve more directly. Damn these cheap new triggers. And once again, sorry sbell.

-B.D.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:53 am

Ya, sorry. I was feeling in a bad mood after working with my guns for several hours with no results. Sorry again, I'm cool now.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try using a hypodermic needle to squirt it into the ball-valve more directly. Damn these cheap new triggers. And once again, sorry sbell.

No worries. But I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work...I can't understand why though, as it worked perfectly for me. All I did was remove the nozzle selector, and with the valve closed, give a good spray down the main nozzle then open and close the trigger a few times.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:44 am

@ sbell25: Wait, did you do yours on a Flash Flood? In your first post you mentioned spraying the silicone lubricant down the largest nozzle, but now you say to remove the selector and use the main nozzle. Not too big a problem, but this might be a point for confusion.

At any rate, this explanation is a bit more detailed. I think it implies that the trigger valve must be a ball valve of some sort...or maybe not.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1155393876

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:46 pm

Put a rubberband over the spring that snaps the valve shut so it has more force to close it...

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:18 pm

The spring already seems very strong, but I'll try that.

I tried using that stuff on some of my other gun's pumps and trigger, It did help to lessen the stickiness on them. Maybe this gun has a different problem, or maybe its sticking problem is more severe.

-B.D.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:33 pm

@ sbell25: Wait, did you do yours on a Flash Flood? In your first post you mentioned spraying the silicone lubricant down the largest nozzle, but now you say to remove the selector and use the main nozzle. Not too big a problem, but this might be a point for confusion.

I did it to an '05 Piranha. I did actually take off the nozzle selector and spray down the main nozzle, however since the Piranha's biggest nozzle on the selector is the same size as the main nozzle, I thought it wouldn't make any difference when I explained it. Looking back on it though, removing the selector is the best option, as it allows you to spray closer to the ball valve.

Rook

Post by Rook » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 pm

My FF riot blast nozzle has been jamming a little, I sprayed some Silicon lubricant down it, it helped a little, but not too much.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55