nozzle drilling

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Dacca

Post by Dacca » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:19 pm

So I was going to attempt nozzle drilling my defender, but cause I've never done this before I don't exactly know how far down to go into the nozzle. also, would the FF benifit from a slightly wider nozzle to the main trigger? I would think so seeing how it is such a small nozzle. I plan on preforming a colossus and CVF later on so it wouldnt hurt to drill it now anyways. any suggestions on drill bit to use on the ff?
more reliable then a max-D trigger

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:49 pm

For the Defender, drill about 1/3 of the way into the nozzle. Then saw or sand carefully so the resulting cut is nice and smooth.

For the FF, definately widen the main nozzle. I don't know which size bit to use off the top of my head. Look at it, compare bits to the nozzle, and use common sense. If one is close to the size of the nozzle, then use it.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:27 am

For my Defender, I used a 3/32" bit(creates 2x stream) and if you have a steady enough hand you'll actually feel when you are past the nozzle getting close to the ball valve. Test this by using a small drill bit to measure the depth. As Duxburian will tell you, bigger bits(large stream vs shot time/distance?) can be used...I just didn't have to saw or sand. As for the FF, isoaker has some pics of the '05 I sold that haven't been put into the gallery yet(along with some others). Additional ideas are also there under dragon-class. My FF, Devestator, SC500, and SC600 have all been bored using a 1/8" drill bit turning the streams into 5x. Good luck, Brad

Edited By dragonclass on 1154535881
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:23 am

Be very careful with the Defender. If you don't do it correctly, the way that Duxburian and dragonclass explained, the result will be a wildly skewed stream. The reason being is that the Defender is air pressure, and compared to some CPS guns, quite weak. Therefore, any damage to the nozzle, and thus the path of the water will alter the performance of the stream more than if you messed up a nozzle drill on a CPS 2100 because there is less power to compensate for the alteration in stream paths caused by a jagged nozzle job.

In my case, I also found the plastic around the nozzle of the Defender to be really soft, and easily over-drilled.

Soak On
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks guys, I remember there was an earlier topic about the defender being driller but not the FF. I can't wait to get drilling.

dandoodatrite

Post by dandoodatrite » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:03 am

Well, your best bet is first of all, doing it by hand with a drill bit. If you do it with a drill, you have a massive chance of making a really bad hole.

Secondly, start with a small drill bit using the normal hole as a guide, then get bigger. Remember, too big and it will drain the water too quickly. I'd say around 4mm is big enough for an extra large hole.

Finally, before drilling, if the nozzle can be screwed off make sure you do that as you can accidentally drill the internals.

I've hand drilled a 1:4 ratio on my new Super Soaker XP 310.
Take a look at my thread :D
Think Different. Think Midget

MIDGETS OWN WATERFIGHTS
they are stealthy :D

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:34 pm

More pics of bored nozzles, including the defender and SI MI FF, have been sent. Stand by, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:38 pm

All right, everything is up in the gallery under my section "many modded soakers." The CPS1500 and 1000euro are just references, not bored. Enjoy, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:12 am

watch the double posts. anyways, i used a powerdrill and had no problem. everything went well and all the improvements were well, an improvement

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Dacca wrote:watch the double posts. anyways, i used a powerdrill and had no problem. everything went well and all the improvements were well, an improvement
Posting 1 day apart is not what I'd consider double-posting, especially when new information is being posted. Don't jump too fast at calling down a 'double-post'.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:00 pm

soory about that, i've been gone for a couple of days before that and didnt notice the timestamp. anyways, the biggest improvement was in the defender. I can't remember what i used, either the 3/32" or 1/16th". but the improvement in preformance is awsome. although the diffrence in nozzle size isnt that much to the naked eye, the ~2x stream is a lot more powerful and a better range all together. I recomend it to anyone with a defender.

dragonclass

Re: nozzle drilling

Post by dragonclass » Mon May 26, 2014 6:07 pm

And yes, I still can't keep my hands off things: my XL's 14x nozzles. Does pretty good, too short to put one of my laminators in.
Attachments
MXL bored small.jpg
MXL bored small.jpg (186.6 KiB) Viewed 7487 times
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)