Modifying a Blazer - us

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:20 pm

I was thinking about ways to modify a Blazer and had a thought. What if I could make the rubber sheet thicker? I went to work and found a site, and soon found what I think I am looking for here. http://www.rubbercal.com/Pure_Gum.html I requested a sample, and should get some sort of reply on Monday or a Tuesday. If this piece of rubber is like the rubber in a CPS soaker or the Blazer I'm getting off of Amazon.com, I will buy a three foot long, 1/16" by 36" sheet of this stuff (the bare minimum for that type).

More information on this material can be found here - http://www.rubbercal.com/files/Pure_Gum ... ations.pdf

In case any of you are wondering what sizes it comes in, look here - http://www.rubbercal.com/files/Pure_Gum_Price_List.pdf

I hope this stuff is what is seems like from the specifications sheet. Even then though, I will have to modify the Blazer to get it to hold more rubber. If the casing to the PC is screwed on though, I won't have to modify the Blazer at all, as I'm guessing it just clamps the rubber bladder in place. :cool:

Edited By Crashdummy on 1143321686

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:13 pm

I'll take a look at the PC's when I get around to opening my Blazer. That sounds like it should work. I think I might try latex, instead.

Check out part number 86085K12 on McMaster.com. I might order 2 of those for my Blazer!

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:09 pm

Sounds even better! I will buy some of that instead. It is the same stuff, but thicker. I was going to put two layers of the 1/16, but that is even better. :p That, and I know McMaster is a realiable name. My dad buys stuff from there all of the time. I'm getting a sheet of 6" by 6". One sheet of that should cover both of the Blazer's PC sheets easily.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:59 pm

This sounds interesting. I don't think there's been a successful power mod of a WW gun before. Will you actually be able to get into the PC casing? Well, tell us how it goes! :cool:
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:35 pm

I don't care about the looks of the internals :p so I will do just about whatever I have to do to get at it. I'm guessing there are screws going from the top down clamping the bladder in place. If so, this gun should be the easiest gun to modify to date, as long as you don't strip the screws. Well, I'm ordering my Blazer tomorrow. I would to that today, but my mom wants to buy a few books on Amazon too to save on shipping, but the computer is up some stairs and she is still recovering from a knee replacement. I hope shipping is fast. I'm most likely going to buy the rubber from McMaster's tomorrow too. :cool:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:40 pm

Whew. Shipping from Amazon is expensive, and "toys don't qualify for "free super saver shipping." It cost me like $10 PER PIRAHNA to get them shipped to my home, twice the cost of the actual product. And I ordered 3 Pirahnas. Ordering with other products will not save you a penny with toys.

Anyway, good luck with the mod! :cool:

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"

"snap!"

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Crap, you are right. Why must you be right? Whatever, I'm not paying for shipping, my mom is. :angry: I just buy the soaker.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:56 pm

Crashdummy wrote:Crap, you are right. Why must you be right? Whatever, I'm not paying for shipping, my mom is. :angry: I just buy the soaker.
Heh. I've had to pay a good amount for shipping on all my soakers. Better hope she doesn't know (or won't care) how much the shipping is on that soaker. :goofy:

Man, the Blazer there is only 15 bucks! Isn't the retail value $20? Tell me how much the shipping ends up being on it, I might just get one if it isn't like $20 for shipping. Oh and lucky you, only having to pay for the soaker and not shipping. :p

"snap!"

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:08 pm

I payed about $5 I think for the shipping on my Blazer. I don't think you'll beat $20, so you might as well get it from there.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:11 am

I pay for most of the shipping when it is really high, but on normal shipping prices ($10.00 and lower) she pays. Eh, if I were to pay, it still wouldn't cost a lot. I'm really happy with the Blazer's low price. Too bad Super Soaker jacks prices up now. I mean come on, $30 USD for an Overload? All it is is a tiny backpack (compared to others) with a pistol attached to it for crying out loud. :p

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:15 am

Crashdummy wrote:I pay for most of the shipping when it is really high, but on normal shipping prices ($10.00 and lower) she pays. Eh, if I were to pay, it still wouldn't cost a lot. I'm really happy with the Blazer's low price. Too bad Super Soaker jacks prices up now. I mean come on, $30 USD for an Overload? All it is is a tiny backpack (compared to others) with a pistol attached to it for crying out loud. :p
Exactly. They should charge $20 or less for it. But people will pay the $30, so they can charge it. I would prefer a Blazer over an Overload any day. I wonder if they improved it in the 2006 version, or if we'll have to wait for 2007 for improved range.

"snap!"

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:23 am

I hope so. It has a bigger nozzle and a fan spray style nozzle (or so I've heard), but nothing has been said about better range on the same sized nozzles... yet. My fingers are crossed. Either way, the box says it shoots 40 ft, which is definetly a good thing. Way better than the mid 30s we have been getting from the Super Soakers lately.

Edited By Crashdummy on 1143350707

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:00 am

I took ranges today, and the highest range was 39 ft. It does have a big nozzle and a fan blast. I'll post a review tomorrow or so.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:14 am

Well, individual soakers have a foot or two difference in range. They are not all alike. You could get a soaker that shoots a good 3ft further than normal, but it is all luck.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:15 am

It sounds good that there may be a reliable way of making the Blazer better, not that I'm going to mod it. I hope it works out for you.

About this shipping thing from Amazon, I've been really lucky on this. This is because the orders from Amazon's factory get shipped from PA, and guess where my Shop The States US address is located? Yep, PA, a perfect fit for me! So basically I can select Standard shipping which cost me about $7 on the Blazer and it came to the address the next day, and I should imagine the Piranha should arrive to my US address this Monday I'm guessing, and the shipping on that was about $6, more than the gun! So it seems that I've been quite lucky here!

One of the reasons why I'm buying WW guns now over Super Soaker is like you said just the low prices on the guns. The Piranha is $5.29 and the Blazer is $14.99, which is much better value than the Super Soakers. Just think you can get a Blazer that is $5 cheaper than a Flash Flood and $15 cheaper than an Overload. And for that price your getting a much better, and much more reliable gun. I could go on mentioning the Piranha but I think you already get the gist of it.

Anyway, roll on with the Blazer mod! :p