Accessory Mods - Share your knowledge, or gain some...

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:29 am

I was hoping this thread would be a place for people to talk about the different kinds of mods they perform on their stock soakers, apart from power mods, like CVF, K-mod and Colossus. I'm thinking more along the lines of adding straps, handles, custom holsters, silencers(?), flashlights, etc. Please post any successful accesory modifications you have made on your soakers, and tell us how you went about doing them. Don't feel limited by the things I listed, they are just a few I thought of. ...Consider nozzle drilling and multi-nozzles as power mods. Let's hear `em!
:surprise:
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:24 pm

Attempting what amounts to frame changes on guns isn't usually attempted beyond adding duffelbag straps or string to the guns for straps - power mods offer more reward I think. Though I could be wrong.

I've added a few straps to guns that didn't have them before hand, though they've all come off by now.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:51 pm

I don't know if this an accessory, but I we have done camo paint jobs. If you look at our galery at SoakerMedia, you can see a 2500 painted with green and black stripes. There are also a bunch of 2100's we did this to. The areas we battle in are forested, so having bright colors can give away your possition. I've also added a strap to my 2100. I found 2 places where no internals were and drilled holes, putting on the strap is easy.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:56 pm

Just wanted to add also that you could say about mods you attempted to do that went wrong, in that the mod itself failed, or it broke an original part of the gun, or something like that. Tell what you did, what happened, and what you think went wrong. Also, post any ideas for mods you would like to see attmepted, we could discuss ways to perform them.

Sharing a small one of my own... I bought a Mag-Lite Solitaire over this weekend. It runs on a single AAA battery, and comes with an attachment designed for clipping to a keychain or a backpack, etc. (I lost this part in record time, I don't even know how I lost it so fast. I'm talking within hours out of the package...) Anyway, the flashlight itself is slightly bigger than a birthday candle, but gives off a surprisingly decent beam in the dark. It turns on and off by twisting, which is also the way you adjust the focus of the beam. It's size and shape make it perfect for electrical-taping onto a soaker. It is perfectly straight the entire length of it, the barrel is all one width. It cost me about $5 at Wal-Mart.
The drawbacks: it might not be enough light to be truly useful, but you can only expect so much from one AAA. Also, twisting the head is not the fastest way or most efficient way to turn on a flashlight on your blaster. A button would be nice, so that you wouldn't have to refocus the beam everytime you turned it on. The 2x AA version would fix the light problem, but is just the same as the Solitaire, and the head isn't the same size as the barrel, it flares out a bit. Which means that they are both constructed of shiny (can be colored) aluminum. I'm not sure if they are waterproof, though, does anyone know for certain one way or the other? I'm betting they can't be submerged, but I would tend to think they could survive water bouncing off and around it at speed... (if not, it was only $5 anyway...) The bigger flashlights have buttons, but who wants to strap a 4D mag-lite onto their soaker?? Can anyone suggest a flashlight that is definitely completely waterproof? (and still in the AAA and AA range of size?)
:soakon:
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:06 pm

I once used a piece of PVC pipe as a sight, but it wasn't very useful. It was somewhat similar to TPM's CPS 2500 on the Black Barracudas webpage.

Nearly everyone has tried attaching a flashlight or laser pointer to their water gun. I doubt either would have much use except in a fight where the setting is primarily dark such as at night or in a cave. You also don't really want to accidentally blind someone with a laser pointer - water fights are for fun, not pain.

Some have attached small WBLs to their water guns, but everyone who did was disappointed. Apparently a WBL of such a small size does not function very well.

Strap mods are also rather common and fairly obvious (given they already were mentioned). Camera straps and straps for large bags work best in my opinion. The hardest part is finding a way to permanently attach these straps, which isn't too hard with a drill and/or rope.

Ever since Racer invented the pump handle replacement modification it has gained popularity. I don't really know what's so great about it personally. The only time I would see myself using such a pump handle is if mine broke or was far too small (like in the 2005 Super Soakers).

Smaller water guns can receive a simple clip to attach to your pants or belt. I am sure there is a better way to do that modification than how is shown on SSCentral. I wouldn't doubt that you can buy an actual clip such as those used on many things.

Also, silencers on water guns would be pointless. Barely any noise is made. Add a device to silence the stream would likely also reduce performance considerably as well as make the water gun larger and heavier.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:39 pm

There is an article on sniping on XN's site. He used a scope which I thought was an interesting idea. I dont think you need one though. Super Soakers obviously don't have huge range.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:26 pm

I once tried to mount a scope on one of my 21Ks and it A: wouldn't stay on and B: wasn't very useful. So don't bother. Also there is no point in attaching a flashlight to a soaker. That would only give away your position in a night battle.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:40 pm

For a pistol clip, how about those carabiner keychains? (Based on a climbing device, clips ropes, harnesses, etc.) As a prank gift, I recieved a huge one, about the size of a real one, but not as heavy-duty, it looks like a keychain version put under the enlarging ray. Adrian, why did your straps break? If it's cause they wore through at the drilled holes, one solution to that might be dulling the edge created by the cut plastic, by coating the holes with a couple layers of tape. (what kind of tape does everyone recommend, btw, for using around water?) For quieting your soaker, what if you stuffed foam or something into open spaces in the casing, if you could identify a particularly loud mechanism. Just a (weak) thought. Finally, what are WBLs? Flashlights can be turned off, by the way. They are good for surprise, or confident search parties.

Edited By LtDan64 on 1113867691

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:50 pm

For a pistol clip, how about those carabiner keychains? (Based on a climbing device, clips ropes, harnesses, etc.) As a prank gift, I recieved a huge one, about the size of a real one, but not as heavy-duty, it looks like a keychain version put under the enlarging ray. Adrian, why did your straps break? If it's cause they wore through at the drilled holes, one solution to that might be dulling the edge created by the cut plastic, by coating the holes with a couple layers of tape. (what kind of tape does everyone recommend, btw, for using around water?) For quieting your soaker, what if you stuffed foam or something into open spaces in the casing, if you could identify a particularly loud mechanism. Just a (weak) thought. Finally, what are WBLs? Flashlights can be turned off, by the way. They are good for surprise, or confident search parties.

Electrical tape is the best for use around water; it is waterproof. Using foam would do little to nothing, you would have to completely cover your gun in order for any effect to be noticed. A WBL is a Water balloon launcher. Using flashlights during a night battle invites ambushes. And using the light as a surprise could backfire. An experienced fighter's reflex reaction to a bright light coming at them at night is to pull the trigger. :p Using the light in that way can incite attack instead of the desired confusion.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 pm

Ah, good call. Noted. And WBL was kind of obvious, I could have figured that out if I tried...
[Five minutes after processing this new information, Dan finally realizes the implications of "attached small WBLs to their water guns"] (!) Whoa, kind of like an assault rifle that is grenade launcher-equipped. Never thought of that one! That would be cool to have a portable water balloon launcher that is also attached to your main blaster. Shame that noone seems to have made one that works yet...
:(

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:06 pm

It doesn't hurt to have a flashlight though. Not on the gun. Just in your backpack or in your pocket. Using a flashlight is a pretty bad idea for a night battle. In a night battle you want to be as undetectable as possible.
Soaker Media

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:24 pm

I tried making a scope out of two plastic cups, and I will try it out as soon as I can.

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:25 pm

I looked back at the Your Armory thread, and I rediscovered Blue Mage's obscenely cool, over-the-top modified XP105. You should take a look, it's on pg. 2 of that thread. I emailed him with a couple questions about just this gun, I'm eager to hear back from him. His mods include: a stock, excellent camo paint job, rubber grips, a silencer, and he said at the time that he might add a scope too. I think I forgot to ask him if the silencer actually worked, or if it was just for looks. (it does look damn cool) btw, yes, I would consider different types of camoflauge color schemes to be accessory mods.
Anyone here ever play Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater?? That'll give you some ideas for camo patterns by environment...
:surprise:
btw, when you say a scope, you mean one that doesn't magnify, right? Explain what it will be some more.

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:44 pm

Duxburian wrote:

Electrical tape is the best for use around water; it is waterproof. Using foam would do little to nothing, you would have to completely cover your gun in order for any effect to be noticed. A WBL is a Water balloon launcher. Using flashlights during a night battle invites ambushes. And using the light as a surprise could backfire. An experienced fighter's reflex reaction to a bright light coming at them at night is to pull the trigger. :p Using the light in that way can incite attack instead of the desired confusion.
Actulaly Dux, I find Duct Tape to be the best kind of tape when using water, but electrical tape is also very good. I just find duct tape to be more expensive.

hunter

Post by hunter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:27 am

How 'bout my max-d trigger mod?
Stealth over speed. Accuracy over firepower. Coordination over chaos.

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

"I have the two greatest weapons: time and patience."

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:57 am

You can tape a Flashlight to your gun, or you could use an elastic strap around the gun too. You can also do the same thing with a water bottle.
ImageImage

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:14 pm

What is this trigger mod? Soakerman, are you saying one could use an elastic strap instead for attaching the flashlight? And what are you suggesting with the water bottle?

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:20 pm

The straps didn't exactly break, they were just a pain in the butt to use. One (made from about a yard of ribbing given to my by my mom when I asked if she had anything that'd work well for a gun strap) wouldn't stay tied. The other, a couple pieces of string braided together wasn't comfortable to use and didn't keep the weapon upright when slung.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:12 am

What is this trigger mod?

Here is a link
Trigger Modification

Soakerman, are you saying one could use an elastic strap instead for attaching the flashlight? And what are you suggesting with the water bottle?

I am suggesting, that rather than taping the flashlight to the gun you could attach it using a elastic strap around the gun with the flashlight inside, my strap has velcro, and about the water bottle, I was saying that you could put a bottle of water where the flashlight would be, making it easier to reach and refill on the go.
ImageImage

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:58 am

This trigger modification... sounds suspiciously like my mod to turn a Max-D trigger into a normal working trigger (on i_soaker I mentioned it (not in much detail over here) in the FF thread (page 4 I think))