Should I buy?

Selling, buying, shopping for and/or trading water blasters.
soakinader

Should I buy?

Post by soakinader » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 am

I often find myself asking, Should I really buy this?
This happens with all sorts of things, but on the topic of water guns there are only a few people out there with the... expertice.
I figure, I'll start by asking you people, and see what the collective mind of the internet has to say about it.
Also, if anyone else has a similar question, feel free to post.

1: Some guy posted an ad on Craigslist for a Hydroblitz with a 100oz/3L backpack, for 50$. "Open to offers". I think I have seen a similar post some time ago, same price.
He says he bought the Hydroblitz for 65$, and the backpack for 30$. Whoa! Were they really that expensive? That sounds like crazy to me.

2: About 50km away from me, is someone with a CPS 1-3-5 for 20$. If it was closer, I definitely would have bought it, but I would try to haggle it down to 10$.
Thing is, I'm not thrilled about travelling 100km round trip for such a low-value item. I definitely want, but I don't know how I will get it without paying too much. ($Gas$)

Should I?
Last edited by soakinader on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

DX

Re: Should I buy?

Post by DX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

There was a Hydroblitz on Ebay that sold for like $70. Not worth half that to me.

Would not drive 124 miles round trip for a 1-3-5. The gas would cost more than the soaker.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 pm

First you must ask, "What are my arsenal's needs?" and "Would these guns fulfill these needs?"
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Well, seeing as I have neither of these water blasters, clearly I need them. XD

But in all seriousness, I like the HBTZ, and I like the 1-3-5. "The Blitz" is just so unique in how it fires, and the 1-3-5 as well. Sure the CPS 1000 is arguably better than either of these, but I have (3) CPS 1000, and half a dozen things that perform like the CPS 1000 does. I have nothing that is like these two.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I dunno, I already have decided on a list that I am going to get first, and neither of those are on there, because I feel they aren't worth my cash. The 1-3-5 is good for modding though.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:43 pm

What's on your list? I would bet that I have some, maybe even most of the things that you have on that list. Not bragging here- my point is, I want different things, and these are two of them. And yeah, if you want some better blasters, your money is best spent elsewhere. I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for either of them; and I want to pay less if possible. I might just throw out 30$ for the HBlitz and the 3L backpack.
Also, I was under the impression that the 1-3-5 had a weak PC and was no good for modding...
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 pm

The 1-3-5 does have a weak PC. However, if you K-mod it a bit and single it, it does shoot in the low-40s with huge capacity. Replace the PC and you can get mid-40s.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I'm all for being unique. You'd be the only one in the community, as far as i know, who would be using a 1-3-5 or Hydroblitz as their primary.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 am

Whoa whoa whoa. I never said that I would use either of these as my primary. I just don't have them, and I want them. :/ Where did you get that idea?
In another thread I stated that I tend to use the more powerful soakers in my armory (CPS 1500, 2500, 3000, Monster, XXP 275 even) the most. That being said, that's mostly what I have anyways. XD
Of course, I imagine I could still dominate a local waterfight with a Hyrdroblitz. It comes with the strap too! :D
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:47 pm

OK, so I may have a deal going with a local seller. Here is what he has: (Note the insane ebay prices)

Mini CPS 1200 (silver) 15$
Mini CPS 2700 (silver) 15$
SS 50 -leaks 70$
XP 95 15$
XP 95 'pump' leak 15$
XP 105 pump leak 15$
XP 150 30$
XP 150 Classic 30$
XXP 275 repaired 50$ (externally; glued trigger handle, crack in the case) -strap
XXP 275 roughish 50$ -strap (MK2)
CPS 2500 -cps -leaks 100$ -strap
CPS 1200 -strap 30$\
CPS 1200 -strap 30$/ "No signifigant leaks" (1 is silver)

Apparently he has two more mini soakers, but he hasn't told me what they are yet. I have seen pictures of all else. I managed to talk him down to 140$ for:
1 CPS 1200
1 CPS 1200 (silver)
1 CPS 2500
2 XXP 275 (Different MK's; have different XXP stickers!)
2 Mini Soakers (not sure which, probably the silver ones I have seen)

Again, all of these are missing the straps, otherwise they are in decent condition except the damaged XXP 275 and the CPS 2500 which has a minor leak.
It will cost 25$ shipping for the 7 items listed above, although I am still negotiating with the seller for less. He was agreeable to 140$ but the shipping is still in the air and I want those mini soakers for some reason.
So what do y'all think? I was hoping for more like 100$ but I am willing to put up a little more for the shipping and the mini soakers (again, I don't know why. It's the collector talking.)
Although, the problem is, that we are trying to operate outside of ebay on this transaction. So how do I know, if I paypal him the money, that I will be getting what I want? Any advice on that?
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Tough one on the 2500: I'd avoid it since I'm pretty stingy on water guns overall, especially considering that it leaks. Definitely try to get at least one of the 1200's; they go from good to great with just 20 balloons; nice, solid blasters that can take on almost anything. (If you're really fast and strategic, you may be able to take on a 2000 with one.) If the 1200's were $20, it'd be worth grabbing both of them IMO if you don't have any already.

XP 150 is great too, but not up to snuff with the small CPS's. I didn't get to use mine much before the pull valve broke though. =\

Although in bulk, $140 for all that is not a bad deal at all. I'm counting $20 on the 1200's and 275's each and $10-$20 on both mini's, which leaves the 2500 to $40-$50; quite good. Of course, depends on whether you have the cash for it all.

That said, be VERY careful. eBay themselves do not recommend buying outside of them and that they do not cover any frauds that may occur. PayPal may also be the same; you should get this sorted out before throwing down any money. If the person requests to use Western Union or other wire transfer, that's basically a giveaway that it's a scam.

I wouldn't worry about the straps. If you need them, you can make them; there are lots of ways to do so and you can even make your own hooks. Personally, I used to insist on using straps in combat, but I've since adopted my fighting style not to due to the mobility and slight range advantages of not using them. I primarily use them for carrying now, so I still keep them on the blasters all the time.

As for making your own, should be able to do so with about $4 worth of parts from stores around. It's up to you what to use; I've used specialized hooks, keyrings, carabiners, and/or any combination of the above. You'll want to buy a length of strap material and use 2 adjusters to lock their loops that go to the hooks.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:43 am

Making your own straps is MUCH better than using stock straps. I have had a strap making article in the works for a while, it's going to be totally BEAST, but I don't have the resources here in Mississippi to finish it up. Straps are very useful even if you don't fight with them. My 3 point sling design allows you to carry the gun a number of ways, but most importantly it allows you to fight as if you're not wearing one while still wearing one. Very confusing, I know, I'll just have to show you.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Alright well CA99, I was thinking the exact same thing in my head about the prices (CPS 1200/XXP 275 = 20$ apiece, sure =) and now the trick is to get them.
The last time I talked to the seller he was out of town; I will try and contact him and see if I can arrange to make this happen. I either need to do this now or wait another month or two.
You know, I am a fairly trusting person, but maybe I will try and get him to do this through Ebay. That will probably up the price I'm paying though. IDK.
I wasn't worried about the straps; but where would I buy several "lengths of strap material" and all the other parts? A fabric or a craft store? Walmart??
I am looking forwards to your strap-making article; I know what a 3-point strap is like, but considering the majority of my warfare is against my nephews (and seldom) I just don't have the need.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.