Flattered yet illegal - Riping of my shot images

Selling, buying, shopping for and/or trading water blasters.
ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue May 10, 2005 8:52 pm

Alright. There are 2 auctions going on on ebay.
this one is mine:
My Ebay MXL auction

And this is some other guy's:
Some other dudes auction

Anyone notice something? Yes, that dude riped of my images and description. As flattering as it may be, I spend over an hour to come up with the resorces, while he just copy and pasted his way in a few minutes.
So if that dude happen to read this(which I doupt since that would require minimal research), listing non-stock retail images that ain't yours is illegal. Caution is recomended.

I'm not going to report him/her, since after all, I am flattered and can't blame him/her since my shot images are fairly one of a kind(yes, I am even being humble here).

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1115777250
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 11, 2005 6:43 am

Annoying, isn't it?

Well, as others have experienced as well, a lot of lazy people tend to copy and paste other's work online just because they can and it saves them time with little thought about how it affects the person or place they took the content from in the first place.

Unfortunately, by not reporting such events, these things will just continue. All depends on what particular content means to you. As an aside, if anyone finds content lifted from iSoaker.com used in ebay item descriptions, please push up a post. I'll fire a message to that offending individual depending on what was used.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed May 11, 2005 8:08 am

A lot of the soakers from the seller redthundercloud on eBay UK have had much pinched from iSoaker.com. He even took some of my content for one of his descriptions.
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Wed May 11, 2005 10:19 am

I noticed that too. But at least he didn't copy the pictures. But again I suppose its still bad though.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:43 pm

Things are getting more amusing to. I just got an email from an ebay member wanting to report me for taking my own pictures:
Dear babyblaubear,
>
>Your ebay auctions are just copies of auction DA put up, it is illegal on ebay to copy the info/pics from someone elses auction onto yours, this way no one can see actual pics of your guns,so we cant tell what quality they are. If your auction is not changed within 24 hours of the sending of this message i will report you to ebay, and you will probably loose a bunch of privilidges. Not to mention i will post bad feed back for you once i figure out how...

Whats wrong with ebay members nowdays?

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1115835724
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Wed May 11, 2005 1:34 pm

You should do something to make him look bad and teach him a lesson. It should be you writing that message to him. ???

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed May 11, 2005 2:02 pm

That was the funniest message! "I will post bad feedback once I figure out how..." What a moron!

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed May 11, 2005 2:20 pm

Adrian wrote:That was the funniest message! "I will post bad feedback once I figure out how..." What a moron!

Adrian
You do realise that you've probably just called someone on iScF or SSC a moron, don't you? Just because they failed to get their facts right doesn't mean you should insult them, despite their actions being admittedly very amusing.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Wed May 11, 2005 2:59 pm

You do realise that you've probably just called someone on iScF or SSC a moron, don't you? Just because they failed to get their facts right doesn't mean you should insult them, despite their actions being admittedly very amusing.

Yes, but if they are a member of either IScF or SSCF, ANNIHILATOR 2 posted this topic on both forums, I would expect them to at least read it first ???
ImageImage

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed May 11, 2005 3:07 pm

soakerman wrote:

Yes, but if they are a member of either IScF or SSCF, ANNIHILATOR 2 posted this topic on both forums, I would expect them to at least read it first ???
They probably did, but targeted the wrong auction seller. ???

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 11, 2005 3:33 pm

Spinner wrote:
Adrian wrote:That was the funniest message! "I will post bad feedback once I figure out how..." What a moron!

Adrian

Whether or not the writer of the message is a member of either SSC or here is irrelevant. Threatening someone without first verifying that you are blaming the right person is a rather moronic thing to do. There are much worse things to call people who are that presumptuous. That person has already insulted DA by accusing DA of ripping off images DA created. Perhaps insulting the accuser doesn't help matters, but I don't find it such an offensive statement either. If I had made such a mistake and another called me a moron for doing so, I'd understand.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed May 11, 2005 4:00 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Whether or not the writer of the message is a member of either SSC or here is irrelevant. Threatening someone without first verifying that you are blaming the right person is a rather moronic thing to do. There are much worse things to call people who are that presumptuous. That person has already insulted DA by accusing DA of ripping off images DA created.
Agreed. I suppose it's just that I often shy away from openly telling people they're morons, idiots, etc., preferring rather to condemn their actions as moronic, idiotic, etc. :cool:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 11, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, while saying actions are moronic as opposed to telling someone he/she is a moron directly may at first seem kinder, many will still take it as an insult regardless of whether direct or not. In this case, I don't consider the use of a direct insult so bad since it was done (from what I believe) more as a show of support for DA as opposed to trying simply to be mean towards another. I do, of course, prefer refering to actions as opposed to people.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed May 11, 2005 6:03 pm

Spinner wrote:

Adrian

Ah, sorry! Didn't know the poster was a member. My apologies. Didn't mean to insult a fellow soakerdom enthusiast, I just thought it was some random person...

Again, sorry.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 am

They probably did, but targeted the wrong auction seller.

I guess ??? , also whoever it was has an ebay account.

:soakon:

Edited By soakerman on 1115908614
ImageImage

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Wed May 18, 2005 4:37 pm

Well it is happening again, except it is not the pictures this time. but the description is obviously copied and pasted from Annihiliator2's Auction. edit- and another copied and pasted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ck=true
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....48&rd=1

Edited By Iceman on 1116452386
_

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed May 18, 2005 4:51 pm

I sent an email to eBay regarding such problems. This is part of what they replied back with:
We have found that many people are unaware that using images or text
that they have found on eBay or other sites on the Internet is against
eBay policy. Many of them will change their listings when contacted by
the owner of the material. Should this happen again in the future, in
addition to alerting eBay, please feel free to refer the other seller to
eBay's policy page at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/ ... mages.html

While there is no foolproof method to keep other members from
downloading your images and saving them, one way to discourage others
from using your images would be to use a graphic editing software to
create watermarks in your images.
For more information on our listing guidelines, please visit our policy
page at the following link:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/policies.html

For information on what can be listed on eBay, please be sure to check
our Prohibited, Questionable & Infringing Items pages:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/item_allowed.html

I intend on firing a re-worded version of that to any item I find using information from my site and I'd recommend others to do the same. Need to tell these people that lifting without even asking for permission or providing a form of acknowledgement isn't cool.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:01 pm

isoaker, perhaps there should be a little Thread with a sticky in the Marketplace forum where members can report and link to pirated descriptions/images on ebay. Something like a "Ebay Seller Wall of Plagerised Shame".

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Thu May 19, 2005 1:02 am

Well, if I was you, I would take some action, especially because the other one went for $80 more than yours... but thats just me. I hate people who do this kind of stuff, it used to happen all the time in English class...
ownage

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Thu May 19, 2005 3:36 am

I'm taking it easy because I personaly won't have any benefit from booting that guy out. Mine is already sold and shipped out. But I should have taken more shipping cost since I had to pay $60 CAN for shipping. Postal service rose without me knowing. Last year I only payed half for shipping. This year, my MXL soaker sale was less profitable.

On the other hand my CPS 3200 went up to $70.