*PROPER* LRT expansion.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
TheSoaker

*PROPER* LRT expansion.

Post by TheSoaker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Ever since I got my CPS 2000 and installed some LRT in it, it works pretty good, But it could be better. I've noticed that almost ALL stock cylinderical bladders look like this:
cpsmechanism.jpg
cpsmechanism.jpg (7.89 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
See that bulbous section near the forward end? That section is thinner than the rest of the bladder so it expands first and then it begins to expand evenly rearward. However LRT does not have this so it expands from anywhere it wants to, pereferably the rear, resulting in kinking of the unexpanded LRT up front as it expands, due to the LRT expanding at the back, blocking the LRT from expanding any further. if you were to keep pumping, the LRT would remove itself from one of the tubing clamps holding it on and you wouldn't even be able to fire due to the LRT kinking and blocking the flow of water, not to mention the possible structural damage that may occur. This is why I have a theoretical solution to the problem by doing this: We colossus it. but instead of covering the entire length of LRT with the inner tubes, we leave a space uncovered about where this thinner section would normally be and in theory it should coax the LRT to expand just like a stock bladder.
Attachments
1w1jdvxfz6xw4s8c8ck.png
1w1jdvxfz6xw4s8c8ck.png (17.87 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: *PROPER* LRT expansion.

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:14 pm

There is only one way to find out of this works - trial and error!

Good pickup on how it's actually thinner in the little bulb. Any idea how these bladders are manufactured? It would be nice to get in on that game. But if not, well, possibly colossus would work. Go ahead and try.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:50 pm

marauder wrote:There is only one way to find out of this works - trial and error!

Good pickup on how it's actually thinner in the little bulb. Any idea how these bladders are manufactured? It would be nice to get in on that game. But if not, well, possibly colossus would work. Go ahead and try.
I believe they are made in a mold with an outer shell and a insert which the latex is poured or injected around. After it solidifies they would probably remove the bladder from the insert with compressed air.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 am

Bravo once again, TheSoaker. That's a great idea!

When are you going to try it? Do you have any existing homemades that you could modify & test?

VR,

Tim

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 am

Tim wrote:Bravo once again, TheSoaker. That's a great idea!

When are you going to try it? Do you have any existing homemades that you could modify & test?

VR,

Tim

oooh I was thinking of just trying it with my CPS 2000 but now I have an idea for a CPS bladder testbed!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:00 am

I'd worry this would push the bike tubes out of the way. You might do better to have fewer bike tubes in the front rather than none.

Here's what might be a better approach. Fill new LRT with a bit of water outside the gun a few times. You only need enough to get a small bulb at some point. The expansion weakens the LRT, so the spot that was filled in is now thinner and easier to fill. Put that spot in the front.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Sat May 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Last year I was running into this issue with homemade splashzookas; that's why the bubble is there!! I was using 10-18" worth of LRT, it would start wherever it wanted, and then kink itself, or sometimes pop if you didn't know what was happening (hence I started using clear plexiglass/plastic for the chamber so I could watch it).
Sometimes I would will up the whole piece of LRT and and see where it expanded first, then cut off before that point and orient the the piece so the end of the LRT that expanded first was near the nozzle.