Possible source for electric water pumps for future electric homemade soakers

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
TheSoaker

Possible source for electric water pumps for future electric homemade soakers

Post by TheSoaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

For some weird reason I've been wanting to build an ELECTRIC homemade and I think I found a pump for the task. I was on youtube when I found these Brushless DC pumps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-Micro-Hot-W ... 5731.m3795 This one in particular runs on 24V and puts out 2400 Liters per hour. That converts to over 22 Oz/sec!

They are VERY powerful for their size shown in this video of a 12V variant which puts out 1000 liters per hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54DHlNqUTw

The only problem I see is that they are kinda expensive but nonetheless, they seem to have a lot of potential.
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

SSCBen

Re: Possible source for electric water pumps for future electric homemade soakers

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Nice find. This is cheaper than the electric pumps I recall when I looked into this about 10 years ago.

I don't know that much about pumps, but here's what I do know. The flow rate is the maximum. You probably won't get that in a real water gun. Also, judging by the maximum height given in the video title (8 m), this pump would produce a maximum pressure of 11.4 psi. It'll be hard to get particularly good performance from that, but it could be competitive if you take advantage of the unique characteristics of an electric pump water gun (no pumping time, no extra space needed for a pressure chamber). Also worth noting is that batteries have come a long way in the past decade, so I'm interested in seeing what could be done given that. I won't do the math right now, but I suspect you could go a long time without recharging now.

I am liking what I am seeing here, but I think we could do better. I'd be interesting to hear whether you find any other comparable or better pumps, or build an electric water gun.

TheSoaker

Re: Possible source for electric water pumps for future electric homemade soakers

Post by TheSoaker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:52 am

This one's got lots of pressure but not much output: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281366070408

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 am

Another good find. This gave me an idea. I think a hybrid design is worth considering. Get a slower but high pressure pump and replace the regular pump in a standard separate pressure chamber design with an electric pump. Now you can have high flow on demand, and might still charge faster than others.

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 am

YES that's exactly what I was thinking! We gotta put one in a CPS 2000! XD

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 am

That's awesome! If I can get my valve to work this Spring, I'm totally going to incorporate this into the "Next Gen CPS"...

VR,

Tim
Last edited by Tim on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 am

<bump>

The pump identified by TheSoaker appears to be made by Táizhōu Water Source Environmental Protection Equipment Technology Co., Ltd. To me, it looks like a generic version of the SeaFlo brand, which is made by Xiamen Huiliyuan Imp. & Exp. Co., Ltd. I like the SeaFlo version because the motor appears to be TENV (Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated), whereas the generic ones appear to have an ODP (Open Drip Proof) motor (in some eBay sellers' photos, you can see the motor windings). Even if the SeaFlo version is not actually TENV, it's certainly protected from water better than most copycats.

If you click on the SeaFlo link above, you'll notice model SFDP1-011-070-21 of this version comes with it's pressure switch set at 70 PSI, and it can be set as high as 80 PSI for "OEM/ODM service". The pressure switch looks like it's the same as the one on the next larger pump (Series 22). If that's true, it could be set at up to 120 PSI. I'm willing to bet the generic ones are the same as model SFDP1-011-070-21, but with the pressure switch set at 100 PSI. For intermittent service on a water blaster, we can probably get away with 100 PSI on the SeaFlo SFDP1-011-070-21, but I'll confirm with the manufacturer.

So far, I've only been in touch with SeaFlo's sales office in China. Communication is a bit shaky, but I was able to get them to send me a 3D model of the pump (screenshot below) to incorporate with my 3D assembly. Now, I have a contact for the US SeaFlo sales office and will seek further information through that channel.

VR,

Tim