I do have some pictures, but I am refraining from posting images until it's complete. Once I post a guide, I don't want to keep having to update the photos and bill of materials.
The blaster has been functional since last Monday, and yesterday I completed the trigger system. Now, I just want to try different laminar flow elements and nozzles. I will check the range with a 100-ft tape measure when I am happy with the stream cohesion or I exhaust my efforts.
I decided not to apply XTC-3D based on reviews from people who were looking for good surface quality without sanding. I don't want to sand whatever I apply because the nozzle exit will be difficult to sand, and overall I am afraid that I will end up with internal geometry that is not axially symmetrical.
I tried rubbing 95% pure formic acid on the inside of the nozzles to soften and dissolve the nylon to smooth it out. However, Shapeways' nylon must be more resistant to acids than regular Nylon 6. I also tried coating the inside of the nozzles with thin cyanoacrylate (super glue), but this still comes nowhere close to the smoothness of a machined or molded part.
The next phases of testing will take me away from the topic of this thread. I will test two additional diameters of straws in the pipe leading to the nozzle (I already have the straws). I will also be testing non-custom machined nozzles (should have the first one in by Saturday).
Last edited by Tim
on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.