noob first time gun

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Noahangel11

noob first time gun

Post by Noahangel11 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I am a noob who made a gun. I wanted a gun I could fill at a hydrant and not rely on carrying a tank. I also wanted optional nozzle sizes so I could try different ones. My design borrows from guns already made before. I decided on a bicycle pump to pressurize the water. I added a funnel to the fill end made of PVC. I have 2 water tanks on the top of the gun that are threaded in so I could change the size of the tanks as I experiment. I fill the gun by turning it upside down, opening both the fill ball valve and the discharge valve, and letting water run into the funnel past the water tanks. As the water drops into the tanks the air displaced easily comes out. I know the gun is full when the output stream becomes steady. I am getting about a 40' shot when I pressurize up to 100psi. The bike pump has a built in pressure gauge which is nice.
I need to improve the pump mount to the gun body as my tie wraps and plastic bracket did not hold up well in my first battle.

Anyways, I hope you all like it.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (732.66 KiB) Viewed 3056 times

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: noob first time gun

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:54 am

I applaud your efforts, it is a slightly unconventional design but effective. What nozzle size are you using? Because 40' at 100psi sounds low.

I would guess that a carefully drilled 3/8's could possible hit 55'
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:03 pm

That is an interesting design. I don't think I've ever seen another like it. So you fill it with water by holding it upside down, then pump air into it? It's basically a PR (pressurized reservoir) gun then. Cool. How does it perform in combat?

Welcome to the board, by the way!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Noahangel11

Post by Noahangel11 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:20 am

Thanks. Yes, it is a pressurized reservoir gun. It performed well in combat as far as range and accuracy. Also I got about 3 pressurizations out of the water in the reservoir before completely empty. The fill time is a little slower than I would like. I think that could be improved with larger diameter PVC for the main passages. Maybe 3/4 pipe. I need to improve the pump mount.

Noahangel11

Post by Noahangel11 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:22 am

I also thought about changing the design so that there is a ball valve on top of each reservoir to fill them by. Then I could eliminate the whole funnel and ball valve in the back, and filling would go much faster.

Noahangel11

Post by Noahangel11 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 am

I am unsure the nozzle size. I bought the smallest fitting I could find. It is designed to connect plastic hose with a clamp. My guess is it is slightly above 3/8"

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:07 am

Hose barbs aren't well know for creating great stream performance, I would gwt another end-cap and drill that out to 3/8's, If its a smooth hole range should go up
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:02 pm

I would have used a brass adaptor and another check valve so you could just connect the gun to a garden hose and fill it up rather than the funnel thingy. I can buy them from several places for 3-5 dollars and you can thread them into PEX or PVC pipe, which seems to withstand the water pressure well.

Oh, as for a nozzle for your gun, you can find a jet/cone nozzle from a scant few places. I have found plastic ones as well as brass but they aren't the easiest to find. They work pretty well though!
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:58 am

Try a tapered brass nozzle with that. Alternately you could make a multi nozzle laminator like the one on Super Soaker Central. Also, I have never heard of anyone designing a gun that can only be filled by fire hydrant :lol: very creative.

Got any shot pics?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.