Cloudburst CPS Prototype

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
wetmonkey442

Re: Cloudburst CPS Prototype

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:37 am

Drenchenator, I believe I've heard you say that a 3" PC is too small for optimal expansion of the LRT. However, it seems to me that the PC on a CPS 2000 is around that size or maybe even a little smaller. Do you think using a 3" PC would allow you to reach the same expansion and performance as a CPS 2000? In building my own CPH, I have found that using 4" pipe makes the gun way too big and cumbersome to be useful.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:30 am

3 inch pipe is most likely perfectly fine. I have not used it myself (my CPH used 4 inch pipe), but I can say what I do know. The CPS 2000 PC plastic tube is smaller likely because limiting the expansion increases the lifetime of the bladder. This may or may not be necessary for DIY water guns because you can replace the bladder easily. I'm not sure how quickly fully expanded bladders fatigue. If you get a 25% reduction in pressure after a few shots of fully expanded tubing, that'd be pretty bad. I don't know if it's that bad. There are tradeoffs here, however. The pressure will be reduced if you limit the expansion diameter. I don't know how much it is limited, but I don't think it's an issue if you layer tubes. The other tradeoff then is water volume. You might find that limiting the expansion of the tube reduces your PC volume too much, though I vaguely recall doing the math and I thought it worked out fine for my uses.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply Ben. I figured that volume might become a limitation, but I never considered the effect of repeated expansion on the health of the bladder.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!