Water Balloon Launcher Ammo Improvement. - How to build a WBL mortar shell.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 pm

If someone hit me with a yogurt filled baloon, I would get my entire team to hit them with yogurt filled balloons until they were so drenched with yogurt that passing dogs would lick them to oblivion. :laugh:
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

bb1

Post by bb1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:25 am

Water cannon yogurt? Well, for starters, if when you release the pressure and it doesn't blow into a giant yogurt balloon, popping all over your face; it Will muck out like a dribble or just blegh out... you can shoot a bullet into water but it will only dicintigrate...

Besides, getting water into balloons can be a pain, so imagine YOGURT! You'd have to attach the yogurt to a pump to get the balloon to expand...

If the yogurt balloon bounced off them and popped at their shoes,.... Eww :oo:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:35 am

Hay, I was joking about the yogurt.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:46 am

screw yogurt, just hit them with a cow. even better, a soaker full of milk. old milk would be better, its hard to get that smell off.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:27 am

Maybe we should start a new thread. "Most Disgusting Ammunition"

-B.D.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:55 am

This thread is good, but unfortunately is probably close to getting closed down. Isoaker has a thing about discussing waterfights involving substances other than water, and not doing so is one of the few hard and fast rules here. Let's get this back on track.

Back on topic: Is this indeed as sabot round, or not?

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:05 am

Shows what happens when I neglect a thread. :goofy:

At any rate, as a general rule on these forums, only clean, drinkable water should be discussed as the ammunition of choice for water warfare. I'm currently opting to leave the yogurt comments up as they were initially started off as a joke. However, should anyone start posting up actual use of non-water on here, they'll find their threads removed without notice.

It really boils down to a safety issue. Other liquids and semisolids can damage soakers and possibly inflict more injury on others. It's one thing if one gets accidentally hit in the eye with water; I'd hate to think of some other stuff being launched at stream speeds into another's face even if only by accident.

Hope you guys understand! Thanks!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:17 am

As I have answered before, It is more like a mortar shell. It uses suction to keep the balloon attached, this makes it more aerodynamic, slide out of the barrel more smoothly and catch more of the air being released. All three of these improvements make for a farther reaching and more accurate shot. Sort of a sniper bullet for WBLs. You can also load multiple shells into the barrel if you want more explosive power, but with somewhat less range. As the shots fly through the air, they spread out somewhat and tend to all hit the ground with overlapping blasts in a bigger area.

-B.D.

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:10 am

my question is how much would it hurt to get hit with the shell? i've never been hit with a wbl, but i would assume that the increased mass and speed would hurt more then just a waterballon.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 am

I'll try firing it at my self sometime, but right now my pump is being weird and I plan to pick up a new one today. So perhaps some time tomorrow or saturday. Its so light, that I dought you would notice the cup when you have a water filled balloon slamming into you.

-B.D.

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 am

Duxburian wrote:
I've never tried a pringles can, but looking at the two, I think the mortar shell desighn is more arodinamic and just plane looks cool.

You don't want a WBL sabot to be aerodynamic! You want it to stop flying ASAP or else it may fall into an undesirable area, such as in a brook or behind enemy lines. If the sabot causes a lot of friction in the air, it won't travel too far and you can retrieve it more easily.

We used to make a similiar-ish shell, but switched to Pringles cans for the better seal and because they function without doing any work.
I have to agree with Dux. Instead of pringles cans or anything else that can fly, I use large wads of toilet paper as wadding. It dosen't go anywhere after launch and really does a good job of aiding in the propulsion of WB's.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS 3000 (w/ MI:Overload Backpack)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:22 pm

It has not really been proven whether a shell or a sabot/wadding is better. My team uses can-based sabots because of the cheapness, the lack of any work involved, the perfect seal, and that you can get them back. Cans usually make a better seal than papers/cloths, unless you really pack a thick wad of it in there.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:14 am

but if you do have the time to prepair shells before battle wouldn't it be better to use them if you desired to hit a target at extreme range (ie. hit them in their base or just get them out of a fortified location)?

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:24 am

Ok, I finally got a new pump and did some tests so now I can answer the people who have asked what its like to get hit by the mortar rounds.

I was waring my standard water war cloths: Forest camouflaged Army pants and jacket that I was lucky enough to pick up at a yard sale last year, I also had a face mask on, though that was just for the test. I had my brother shoot a balloon loaded mortar round at me from about 12 feet away, with the pressure tank charged at seventy PSI. When it hit, it soaked me and stung, but only for a little while. I then had him shoot just the empty shell from six feet away, it didn't really hurt much, just enough to be noticed.

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:27 pm

but if you do have the time to prepair shells before battle wouldn't it be better to use them if you desired to hit a target at extreme range (ie. hit them in their base or just get them out of a fortified location)?

The effectiveness of ranges over 400ft depends on your local wars. In mine, ranges over 400ft are just about useless. Both teams have stopped using fortified positions and open hills entirely. The last time my team used such a position, we were handed a 3-and-out [when 3 people on your team are killed and gain no reciprocal kills. A 3-and-out is most embarressing, especially when your team's turnout for a war is 3 people].

Basically, our parks' terrain kills ranges over 400. A balloon will hit a tree, a branch, etc. At Waterbridge, the water of a balloon launched at a reeds position from far away will actually be absorbed by the thickness of the reeds. At the Goffle, there is no way a balloon could reach more than 300-400ft before hitting a tree branch. And in the open areas, such as the public right of way and the composting lot, the enemy will take the hint and melt away into somewhere you probably won't want to follow them into. :laugh:

What many people don't understand is that big and powerful isn't always better. We now have effective tactics for negating extreme ranges, whereas last year that was just an idea. Likewise, extreme output can be negated via tactics, whereas in the past you couldn't fight higher output very well. And there's that deadly counter for fighting a vast numbers advantage. Superiority in anything can be countered.

So to decide whether to use a shell or sabot, consider your battlefield, your rules, your tactics, and your enemy. Nothing works on every battlefield against every enemy in every gametype in every situation.

Edited By Duxburian on 1153780159
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:27 pm

I agree with you Dux. I'm going to try to pick up a Pringles Can soon and compare.

Even if my shell dosn't give them better range than your Pringles Can, I'm pretty sure that the fins on my mortar shell would give it better stability and thus, more accuracy.

Edited By WaterWolf on 1153856095

-B.D.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:47 pm

So, I finally got a can of Pringles. Now what do I do? You said something about Duct-Tape. Could you elaborate a bit on how to use it?

-B.D.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Snip the edge off, other wise it won't fit. Then put duct tape over the area you cut, because it will tear when fired. Place it in the barrel with the bottom of the can facing outward and then load the balloon.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

dandoodatrite

Post by dandoodatrite » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:17 pm

To be honest, how many yoghurt pots would you need>?????? I mean, you would loose them most of the time.

If your after aero-dynamics, try card or paper, then you have loads of ammo!

Can i make a wbl out of two pringles tubes, scissors and tape?
Cut line down the side of the tube, take metal off, make the tube just smaller enough to fit inside the other tube
cover where the metal was with card cut at the new size
put a hole in the card cap and then, put the tape on the card and pringle tube, then slide the smaller tube into the normal tube and pull back with balloon loaded, then push it forward a few times and it should launch??????????? will this work?
Think Different. Think Midget

MIDGETS OWN WATERFIGHTS
they are stealthy :D

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:19 pm

dandoodatrite wrote:Can i make a wbl out of two pringles tubes, scissors and tape?
Cut line down the side of the tube, take metal off, make the tube just smaller enough to fit inside the other tube
cover where the metal was with card cut at the new size
put a hole in the card cap and then, put the tape on the card and pringle tube, then slide the smaller tube into the normal tube and pull back with balloon loaded, then push it forward a few times and it should launch??????????? will this work?
Maybe. I havn't tried, but if you think you might be able to, then go for it and give us the results when you gets some.

To NiborDude: I tried your method several times and each time the balloon burst while firing. Are there any other tips you have on how to do this?

-B.D.