Proper LRT and Case Length

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Proper LRT and Case Length

Post by Poseidon2000 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:18 pm

If I wanted 2 liters of PC volume, ho long would my Case and LRT have to be? I heard somewhere that 15.5 inches of LRT is good, Ben said. How about case? IDK.

T
H
A
N
K
S
!
:sucker:

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Proper LRT and Case Length

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:28 pm

This depends on the LRT's inner diameter. For standard 3/8 inch ID LRT, I'll assume that it expands 8 times in diameter and twice in length (these assumption may not be completely correct, but we'll still get an approximate and reasonable answer with them).

8 times 3/8 is 3 inches, which comes out to 7.069 square inches of internal area. 2 L is 122.047 cubic inches, so divide 122.047 by 7.069 to arrive at 16.040 inches in length when expanded. Assuming the LRT is only expanded 100% (twice the unexpanded LRT length), the unexpanded LRT would be at least 8 inches in length.

So, for standard 3/8 inch IDT LRT, to get a 2 L PC, you need a piece of LRT at least 8 inches in length, and a chamber at least 16 inches in length to contain it. Again, if you change the assumptions I listed at the top, you'll get a different answer, but this is at least in the ballpark.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:36 pm

hmm... Thanks! so I would have to follow that rule of 2L's cubic inches / the LRT's size?

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:34 pm

I thought LRT expanded three times in length. If it expands only twice in length, then I only need a 2 1/2 ft case on my CPH, not a 3 ft case. My LRT is 1 foot long, so I would get a 2/12 length case to make up for the length of tee, barbs, and endcap.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:23 pm

It could, but that would kill it's lifetime.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 am

Fishfan, you're right. LRT can expand up to 3 times in length, but I assumed 2 times for a slight safety factor. That doesn't mean that 3 times in unsafe, though. 3 times is fine too.

Poseidon2000, yes, you can just follow the same principle that I used. I calculated the area of a circle with the LRT's ID in square inches, and then I calculated the total volume of 2 L in cubic inches (if you don't want to do the conversion, but type "2L in cubic inches" into Google, and it will convert for you). I then divided the volume by the area to get the length. But remember: this is all approximate. These calculations assume that the LRT is a perfect cylinder, which obviously isn't the case. That's why I said at least 16 inches, since you have to account for tubing barb and other factors.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Wait, so what's the deal here? Let's say that, no matter what, you fill the chamber up to 2L. What is the difference between a 3 foot long chamber with X diameter and a 2 foot long chamber, which would prevent linear expansion, and force outwards expansion to Y diameter, which is wider? Does one variation give more power/ more life span? Also, is this based on CPS blaster tech? I think my CPS 3000 and Monster had around 3:2 expanded-unexpanded length.
Last edited by soakinader on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Neither case is wider. If you look at LRT as it expands, you see that it first expands in diameter, and then in length. The first few pumps into the chamber give a really bulbous, balloon-like figure. It expands mostly in diameter for those. After that, it starts to fill up the entire bladder and expand in length more and in diameter less. The expanded diameter of a standard 3/8 inch ID LRT tube is around 3.5 inches regardless of the length, though in theory a longer tube may taper off slightly (example).

A quick example. This chamber isn't completely full. But it's obviously expanded more in diameter than length. First diameter, then length.

I said I assumed 2 times in length for a safety factor. That's mostly to increase the life span. LRT has a limited number of full expansions, and 2 times will increase the life span somewhat. Neither 2 or 3 times expansion gives more power, but 3 times means 50% more water in the chamber. It's a trade-off. If you'd like more water, design with 3 in mind. If you'd like a longer life span, design with 2 in mind. I also like 2 times because it makes the gun smaller and helps you use less materials.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:06 pm

That information is very helpful, thanks. So the LRT fills up just like a long balloon....

I keep hearing people mention "life span". I certainly don't know how long the life span of your average CPH is, but how long has a/several 2X expansion/s lasted for you?

I really would like to make a homemade, but if the LRT only lasts for 100 full shots, it would dampen the practicality a bit, and I would be less enthusiastic about it! I mean, I have probably got close to 50 full shots using my trusty CPS 1500, and I can't imagine it breaking anytime soon.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Ben and I have had LRT last for years and hundreds of expansions. We've only had it burst twice: once from overuse, and a second time from twisting adding additional stress.

For the most part, I don't worry about the bladder's life span. It's really quite long. I don't have any data on how long the average LRT bladder lasts, but it's long enough to not matter too much. For a stock gun like a CPS 1500, I wouldn't be worried at all, since the bladder doesn't seem to expand all that much anyway.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Sweet. Now if only I had the time... I will stick with my current project for now, but later I would like to mess around with some designs. Has anyone ever tried making a homemade with multiple seperate chambers? Like a Power Pak except more linear, less restricting - maybe even with 2 chambers or 3 in a triangle?
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 pm

To add to what Drenchenator said, the common 3/8 inch ID latex tube used for water guns generally will not burst when not abused. This, however, is not true for all tubes. Generally, it seems the higher the pressure the tube, the lower its life. I've done tests with tubes that burst after a single use. I specifically suggest against using these tubes in the LRT guide on SSC for this reason.

However, full expansions of latex tubing can case the tube to degrade, slightly reducing its operating pressure with each shot. Water gun companies limit the expansion of their bladders to avoid this problem. You can directly feel the effect of the wear on the tube by feeling it until you reach a point that you never expanded. That point will be noticeably harder to squeeze. There's no data available on how quality a tube will wear out, so do some experiments and share the results if you want to know. It won't take more than a half-hour or so to fill an empty a tube with a pressure gauge attached to see how the pressure drops as the number of cycles increases.

Also, check out this research paper on rubber tubing expansion for more information about how these tubes expand. Some of you are familiar with Hooke's law for the force springs provide. This paper uses a more complicated model (the Gent hyperelastic model) for the rubber expansion as rubber doesn't follow Hooke's law. If you don't have a background in engineering, this paper might be useless to you, but if you're good with math then Wikipedia should be able to provide any other information you need to understand the paper.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 am

Wow. Welcome back, Ben! :)

Thanks for all this info.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Wow, didn't realize Ben had posted here. Hey, I built a SuperCPS according to your guide. It was awsome, until the bladder broke. I used the wrong lubricant, teflon silicone from dupont, which had some petroleum byproducts in it. I'm trying to get all of that lube out so I can put some silicone grease on and not have that problem.
Nice to uh... "see" you Ben. :goofy: