Weird idea.

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Well sorry if there is no way this would work or if it's been brought up before but it's something I thought of. An alternative to pumping, it's CPS based and uses a cylinderical bladder. (as you will see why) Basically, the water reservoir has a hole at the bottom that leads to a valve that only lets water through and stops it from returing to the reservoir. To the back of the tee is a PC. The user simply pulls something that drags the PC all the way, which allows the water to flow in. The valve stops the PC from pushing water back to the reservoir. Then the trigger can be pulled to unleash the power. The thing is, how much power? Does the PC have to be a good deal weaker to be pullable? Just a thought and those of you who know more about water guns than I do can tell how this would work or not work.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1156718310
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Basically, instead of pumping, you're describing a system where the user must pull on the CPS-chamber to stretch the PC to draw water into it. While theoretically possible, if the chamber is 'pullable', its power is likely weaker (you'd be surprised how much more power you can generate by pumping small volumes using a pump as opposed to pulling on the PC). Also, pulling on the CPS chamber would cause added stess on it where it is being pulled from.

In the end, pumping is much easier than pulling and more reliable. The idea works (in a sense, it is how a Water Ball launcher works... the PC is pulled back to fill prior to firing) but the power would undoubtedly need to be reduced to allow someone to stretch the PC.

I should also note that pulling on a CPS-chamber would not take full advantage since the PC would only be filled linearly and not much radially. Pumping expands a CPS-PC in multiple directions.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:09 pm

I thought cylinderical PC's only expand in one direction, though I've never really handled one and I'm not sure how hard it would be to pull one.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:21 pm

C-A_99 wrote:I thought cylinderical PC's only expand in one direction, though I've never really handled one and I'm not sure how hard it would be to pull one.

When you fill a cylindrical CPS chamber, it doesn't just get longer, it expands radially, too. If it didn't, doing a collosus-mod would have no effect since when layers are added to the PC, no one (at least none to my knowledge) actually fixes the ends of the new layers of rubber the way the original chamber is attached.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:55 pm

Latex rubber tubing (LRT) expands to approximately 8.5 times its width and to approximately 3 times its length. Area-wise, the cross-section increases by 8.5 squared, or 72.25. If you don't take advantage of this, you're missing out on a lot of volume and making the design extremely inefficient and space-wasting, and you'll only get 3 times expansion of volume (but only 2 of that 3 gets released).

Have you ever taken bicycle inner tubing for tires and tried to pull on it? It's very hard to stretch, which is part of the difficulty and problem with colossusing, and because there's just so much thick rubber along the circumference, it has far more resistance and thus power than a rubber band. The force you can pull with is pretty much the force you can use a piston-powered soaker with--but if you're trying to fill a huge PC, then you'll need a much weaker bladder than with a pump. My guess is that this wouldn't shoot 5 feet, even if the design could be built.

And on colossusing, the rubber doesn't need to be fixed with a clamp because the friction from the inner layer keeps it tight, I believe. The problem is that the tubing is so hard that you have to cut it into small bits that will separate as the bladder lengthens--and because they don't stretch, you don't get much force in that vector. Colossus modifications are both harder and less effective than K-modding.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1156730228