Type of Pipe

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
teamfear

Type of Pipe

Post by teamfear » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:59 am

I am going to build a wbl in the next month and have a question about pipe. I know PVC pipe is usally what most people use but i think my local hardware store only carries ABS pipe. Will this type of pipe work?

Captian Fear

SSCBen

Re: Type of Pipe

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 pm

If the pipe and fittings are pressure rated, yes, it will work. However, from what I know it is difficult to find pressure rated ABS pipe and fittings.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:50 pm

If you believe this guy, ABS pipe may actually be preferred over PVC for a WBL-type water weapon. However, I'd personally recommend doing more searching and reading on ABS pipe properties (i.e. pressure rating, durability, etc.). I have no personal experience with ABS piping in this context so I can only guess; I only know as much as I've read so far. :goofy: Heck, don't forget to talk to the people at the hardware store, too, as they may have had more hands-on experience and knowledge when it comes to how ABS-piping behaves in practice.

Otherwise good luck with your project and keep us informed of your findings and progress!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:16 pm

ABS just splits if it can't handle the pressure. PVC shatters into sharp, high-velocity shards.

So yeah, if both have the same pressure rating, then go with ABS. Non-pressure-rated ABS is safer than pressure-rated PVC but it's pointless since it may just split every time. :p

teamfear

Type of Pipe

Post by teamfear » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks for the help guys. If ABS is safer i think that would be the best for may wbl. Isoaker your point about asking the people at the stor ewould probably be very helpful because that stuff is their trade.
Thanks,
Captian Fear

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:46 am

Just be sure the ABS pipe and fittings are pressure rated. Usually ABS is not pressure rated. If it's not rated, it will fail before PVC pipe. ABS (usually) fails by making lengthwise cracks instead of shattering like PVC, but I have read of some ABS shrapnel before from endcaps so it's only a general rule. So, ABS can be said to fail safer, but that doesn't mean it's good for the application if it fails too often.