CPS Concept - a WIP thread for my CPS concept

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:59 am

Hello everybody. It's been awhile since I've started a thread here...

Anyway this is for the concept soaker I will hopefully be submitting to the Aqua Flash soaker design competition. If I don't get around to it, I'd still like to use this thread to explore some ideas for a new manufactured CPS soaker that would be feasible to mass produce and serve equally well in terms of performance and design. There are certain characteristics of this soaker that I'm aiming for as a base goal:

1) A reservoir that will be removable and interchangeable. I'm thinking of a sort of larger version of an old SS 50 tank with a connection fitting that would accept different sizes/backpacks etc.

2) A QFD feature. I want the option of filling the CPS bladder with water and leaving the reservoir behind. This will make the gun more versatile and the extra feature will appeal to the lower age range demographic while still fulfilling a role as a capable water gun.

3) Multiple nozzles. I'm aiming to keep it simple and go for three nozzles: A 5x, 10x, and fan blast.

4) Space saving design. The sketches I've made so far all include a sort of 'bull-pup' look to them where the handle and trigger are all situated towards the front of the gun, with the weight of the internals situated roughly midway through the length of the gun. A diagonally oriented reservoir will help with space and weight distribution.

5) Aesthetically pleasing design. I'm aiming for the design/look of the '98 line: minimalist with pleasant mellow colors and a straightforward design policy. I'll add on the requisite facade of tubings but nothing too crazy.

6) Cylindrical CPS system. No exact reasoning for this besides the fact that I just like it better. :goofy:

That's it for now, I'll update later this week once I have a basic design hammered out.

My approach will be sketches with pencil and paper to get a loose idea then sketched digitally on photoshop to try and find the exact final design and then brought into a 3d app to finish up the visualization. Finally, I'll bring it back into photoshop for some post render work and I should have the final image.

Soak On
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:46 am

The removable/interchangable reservoir is a neat little idea. Not sure how really different it would be, though, from the Max-Infusion idea apart from the fact that a reservoir can be fully removed or the "solid" part replaced with a larger capacity version. Not sure why anyone would want to completely remove a reservoir as an empty reservoir isn't really adding much to the weight of a soaker, but can actually help with balance and feel.

As for the rest of the ideas, sound good, but it all depends on how the design ends up looking in the end. I await to see some conceptual pics of what you've got in mind!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:36 pm

This is a preliminary sketch of the design I'm going for. It's going to be a little different from contemporary design but similar in some respects to recent over/under blasters such as the Secret Strike and the Liquidator.

One thing to note about this design is that, at this point, I have not determined a location for the QFD intake nozzle. I want to avoid putting it in the front because that would stretch the height of the face of the gun too much. Perhaps the back? (Although pushing that thing against your shoulder might prove to be a bit uncomfortable).

As always C&C welcome. What could be changed? What could be improved? What sort of crazy color scheme should it be?

Edited By wetmonkey442 on 1188592784
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:26 pm

Possibly, for the intake valve, as opposed to being on the very backside, as you mentioned above being not the best as it'd be uncomfortable, maybe in the rear, facing up? In this picture, it'd be on the upper right side... like, above where you'd be pressing it against your shoulder if you did that- do you know what I mean? That seems like it'd work-

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:30 am

How about a QFD nozzle on the side of the blaster as opposed to either the front or the back. Design looks pretty cool. What would you think about rotating the direction of the reservoir around, though? Since the reservoir angles downwards to the front, you could get rid of the extended intake tube that threads into the reservoir and simply have the connection point contain the intake. Just a thought.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: