Spring Based CPS

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:31 pm

Perhaps you could split the ends from the means. Ie, name something by material, shape, and effects (and not necessarily in that order). Examples:
- spherical rubber CPS
- cylindrical rubber CPS
- diaphragm rubber CPS
- metal spring CPS
- [regulated] air CPS
- metal spring dropoff piston
- air dropoff piston
- air dropoff cannon
- air dropoff separate PC
- air dropoff reservoir PC

materials - rubber, compressed air, metal
effects - CPS, with dropoff (which could be further split into those that obey Hooke's Law and those that obey Boyle's Law, ie elastic and air pressure systems).

Still, Ben's approach is a bit more conservative and common-sensical. Maybe there's no need to add terminology (especially acronyms) unless the old terminology is wrong, as it was with CVF.

Wow, typed this up two days ago, but Comcast was being weird.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:48 pm

Yup, as Silence shows, there are lots of ways to go about categorizing pressurization systems even further. I wouldn't personally add in the word "dropoff" for standard air-pressure soakers. At any rate, that just becomes too complicated to subject those newer to soaking to, IMO. While in some ways it may seem to be oversimplifying things, but I like how the end results turn out in terms of how things sort on this site.

As for whether a new acronym is needed or not, well, that just ends up to how popular an acronym ends up being with the membership. I don't actually like the acronym "EPS" as it makes me think of the file type "Encapsulated Post-Script". :goofy: I do like the term "Elastic Pressure System", though.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: