Backpack, backpack!

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:45 pm

*Pops head out of shame*

Yeah, this may seem like the newbish question to you hardened pros, but I have no idea how to go about making a backpack mod.

I checked doom's BP mod but the instructions confused me at one point.

Oh, and another thing, this will be for the ORCA and we all know the wonderful cap placement on that...

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 am

1. Get a Gatorade bottle, or something similar. Unscrew the cap.

2. Cut off and toss away the bottom two-thirds of the bottle.

3. Cut a hole about 1/2" in diameter in the cap.

4. Get a 1/2" vinyl hose tube.

5. Epoxy the tube into or on the hole in the cap.

6. Get some trashbags.

7. Slide the remainder of the Gatorade bottle over the neck of a trashbag - the wide part of the bottle should face down. At least a few inches of the bag's neck should still be sticking out of the top of the bottle.

8. Fold the top part of the bag's neck down, over the screw threads of the bottle.

9. Fill the trash bag with water.

10. Screw on the bottle cap.

11. Stick the bag and bottle into a backpack of some sort, with the bottle on the bottom so the water is sucked out.

I don't know how you'd connect the hose to the gun...it should be in the article.

bb1

Post by bb1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:48 am

It wasn't :(

And the Orca not obeying backpack physics does not help.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:12 am

If the cap is attached tightly, the physics is the same (i.e. reduced pressure in the reservoir should draw water in from the backpack reservoir).

In terms of attaching the hose to the Orca's reservoir, you'd either need to build your own stable air-tight plug or drill the Orca's reservoir cap to attach the hose in an air-tight manner. Vague description, I know, but I've not attempted a backpack addition, myself.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

bb1

Post by bb1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:05 am

I already made several quick-fill bottles, but it would be easier not having to reach over and try to fill up in the heat of combat like that (although in my area, combat is mostly non existant)

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:14 pm

The backpack I made for my APH is very simple.
1) Get a 10L bottle
2) Drill a hole at the bottom of it (large enough to fit a vinyl tube)
3) Glue the tube to the hole
4) Get a backpack and cut a hole big enough for the tube
5) To connect it to the gun, attach the tube to a PVC fitting, or some form of pipe, which is then screwed onto the gun
6) poke a pinsized hole in the bottle's cap so it doesn't implode
That's all there is to it!

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:50 pm

For fast filling, the other end of the tubing (that connects to the blaster) should probably be used to fill instead of unthreading the bottle. Connecting to homemades is quite simple, just use a hose barb, don't know how to do it for soakers. For the vinyl tubing, use 3/8" for the internal diameter. (with 1/2" as the outer diameter)

Edited By C-A_99 on 1175885447
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

bb1

Post by bb1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:59 pm

I am not much of a step-by-step person, anybody have any pictures of any of these at all? Doom's pictures showed very little.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:47 am

I don't have any pictures, unless you want low quality camera-phone ones, but it isn't too hard to make any of the backpacks mentioned above.
If your problem is securing the vinyl tube to the soaker, either drill a hole in the soaker's cap, or the really unreliable and cheap method, use a balloon.