Constant pressure homemade

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:45 pm

Today I took the time to finish up what most people call a CPH - a constant pressure homemade.

This isn't anything new, rather, it's something I should have done a long time ago. I built this water gun in 2004 just to be the first one to do it. It had a lot of problems actually, and still does a bit. Luckily, I've worked most of the bugs out of the CPS system.

For those unfamiliar with this water gun, it uses rubber tubing to duplicate the same CPS system used in the CPS 2000, CPS 2500, CPS 3000, among other water guns. The water gun is easily more powerful than a CPS 2000.

The chamber has been changed so that it is easier to assemble. There are several problems however, mainly involving the fact that an easier to assemble chamber also is easier for the inner layer of tubing to "pop out" of. More changes are definitely in store to remedy that problem. I also believe the clearance between the inner and outer layers of tubing reduces power after my testing. I also did not add the 8 or so layers of bike tube I did two years ago, so power definitely is less this time around.

The PC case has been finalized. A lot of people said this water gun looks more like a manufactured water gun, and now they'll probably say it even more.

We tested the water gun, mainly to see if it worked as well as it did before. Our video work obviously wasn't the best (the tilt is one thing), and we need to increase the resolution. It's the first time we've done this. Better videos will be taken in the future.

The nozzle also was replaced with a pipe nipple, for reasons obvious in this video: http://www.sscentral.org/video/mvi_0093.avi

Image of the completed water gun: http://www.sscentral.org/images/img_0091.jpg

More videos:

http://www.sscentral.org/video/mvi_0096.avi
http://www.sscentral.org/video/mvi_0098.avi

For all of the people who would like to make one of these, yes, a guide is in the works. These water guns are really easy to build and you get back all the effort in how well it works. :)

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Looks good! Nice vids! Looking forward to seeing a guide on building it. BTW, based on the pic, I assume you use either a hose or a backpack or detachable reservoir to fill it?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:44 pm

That last video makes me tingle. Second video shows only a short Shot Time, first one looks down right Soaker setting on a hose head :P

I LOVED the shot time on the last video! IT WAS SWEET!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:48 pm

Yes, a backpack is used. You don't see it in the video, but between each shot we put the tube into a bucket of water.

This is one type of homemade water gun I'd really like to see more (or any) of. I don't think anyone has realized how easy a great CPS system is to make. The latex tubing itself is great stuff, a miracle if you ask me. I can understand completely why Larami chose it for a CPS system.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:30 am

I'm having trouble viewing the vids. What type of avi file is it?
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:57 am

All I know is that either MPlayer and Xine will play most any format unless it's Microsoft's latest. I just took these videos straight off the camera because I didn't want to reencode them. The mjpeg is used for the video, and pcm_u8 is used for the audio (according to ffmpeg).

I'll upload reencoded videos once my FTP starts working. Reencoding actually took much less time than I would have thought, but then again, these aren't the TV shows and movies I was reencoding in the past.

@bb1: Didn't see your comments the first time (probably because we posted within minutes of each other).

The first video actually shoots the nozzle off, which is why I replaced it with the pipe nipple. As for the shot time on the last video, that's what happens when you have a PC that can get as big as you'd like. That was a lowly 30 pumps. I could pump this beyond 60 pumps worth and get some real great shot time, in fact, that's usually what I did in a war with this two years ago. I pumped it up a lot to have a bunch of water ready for me, and between shots I still kept pumping. This is partly why I want more people to build these water guns... they're great all around.

The problem with the current setup is that the PC is not thick enough and I believe the clearance between the inner and outer layers is reducing the performance compared to something without clearance. Before (two years ago) I was getting much more impressive range near and beyond 60 feet (measured too, no estimations or approximations). I'll fill in the clearance with bike tubes and put some more over the top layer once I go to the bike shop (I've used all my bike tubes for other projects in the past). Then I'll optimize the nozzle size. Hopefully we'll see this far into the 60s. Right now it's 50 - 52 feet. My minimum goal however is 55 feet, that way I'm at least 15 feet ahead of the competition. :goofy: