CPS Homemade Problems - Bladder materials

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Rook

Post by Rook » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Well, I was considering building a CPS homemade (This is do-able, right?) and was wondering what I should use for the CPS bladder. Should I just use balloons (and if so, how many?) or is there some obscure plumbing device that makes a better substitute?

Also, I was wondering how dual CPS chambers would affect performance on a single- barreled gun.

I might not even bother building it, but that doesn't mean it's not bothering me :p . Thanks in advance.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 pm

A CPS homemade is completely doable and a few have already been constructed, most notably Ben/Doom's one. The best thing to use as a bladder is called latex rubber tubing. It can be ordered from McMaster-Carr.

Ben/Doom's CPS homemade was made using latex rubber tubing and utilized the "linear design" concept to effectively maximize the range (by minimizing the turbulence and increasing laminar flow). Its range is about 60 to 65 feet and was built in mid 2004 from what I remember.

If you buy the latex rubber tubing to use as a bladder, you would want to buy multiple tubes of it to increase the power. You can buy a smaller tube and then a larger tube. The larger tube's internal diameter should equal the smaller tubes outer diameter. This effectively doubles the thickness of the tubing, greatly increasing the power.

To attach the tubing to PVC, you only need some correct size tubing barbs and tubing clamps. Ben/Doom closed the other end of the tube by clamping a bolt into it. The picture above of Ben/Doom's gun is missing the protective "chamber", but this picture shows the gun with the chamber on it (the gun is the one on the front bench).
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

Rook

Post by Rook » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks, but I was hoping for a spherical pressure chamber. If anyone has an idea how to make one, it would me much appreciated. If there isn't one, I'll use this.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

sneakysniper

Post by sneakysniper » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:20 pm

What is that covering the pvc in the pictures is it just some plastic tubing? It looks almost like a real soaker. I've wanted to build homemade that looks a lot like that.

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:30 pm

The container for the bladder in Ben/Doom's CPS gun was just some 4" PVC with a cap at the end. Making a similar gun would be quite easy.

As for making spherical CPS, it has not been done with good results. Some people complain that they don't want to buy latex rubber tubing and layer balloon after balloon over each other to make a pseudo spherical bladder. This just results in a lot of work and bad results (the range would be much less than expected for a "CPS" soaker).
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:30 am

If you are set on building spherical, you only choice is balloons: http://s8.invisionfree.com/soakermedia/ ... wtopic=474

As for the homemade CPS water gun I had made, that was just a use for leftover parts in reality. Water guns like this are really easy to make and perform very well (no kidding either). Every few months I say I'll write a guide on it, but I have not as of yet. That's something always high on my priorities, but never done. Building is easy by simply copying the design in the images, but apparently no one has done that yet.

Given the demand for this, I'll fix this water gun up soon and finish the guide on it. The new chamber will work much better than the old one. I also can optimize the nozzle size and hopefully get better range. Admittedly, I rushed through the construction of this water gun to be the first one to do it, which is humorous given that I beat everyone by at least two years right now.

As for dual CPS chambers, that'd only work well if both chambers were approximately the same strength. It'd be easier and better to use a single bigger chamber.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 am

Oh snap, I totally forgot about that. That was my CPS homemade design. Never actually got it done.

Edit: Someguy did a good job making it though.

Edited By NiborDude on 1152972402
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Only 45 balloons? Wow.

@Doom: The reason I want a spherical CPS is because it takes up less space. I have some pics made using Scavenger's PVC designer. Naturally, it's not perfect, but you get the point.
Design

The basic scheme. It will have a backpack reservoir. That chambere towards the back holds the CPS chamber.

Design with casing

I'm thinking about using some larger PVC to case the thing, adding to durability and intimidation.

What I'm going for

This is what I'm going for. I can't really do it right on this program, the lengths of PVC are set, and I'll ptobably saw off some of the parts to conserve space, but you get the idea.

Edited By Rook on 1153104417

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:04 am

If space is your concern, then the cylindrical design wouldn't be a problem if you only use one layer of latex rubber tubing

If your pressure chamber container's internal diameter is a little more than 3 inches or less, using the latex rubber tubing would actually be better. A single layer of tubing expands to a little wider than 3 inches in diameter. The rest of the capacity comes from the length. Also please note that two or more layers are thicker and would require at least 4 inch pipe to house.

If your pressure chamber's internal diameter is 4 inches or wider however, using the balloons would reduce the length. But only then. :;):

If you're set on size too, use the small metal swing check valves. They only cost a bit more, hold more pressure, and are about half the length.

Also, be sure to make the rubber accessible and repairable in the future. You will want to periodically check the rubber for damage and especially balloons falling off if you use balloons. Replacing the chamber periodically is a good idea too - the rubber thins with use.

A foot long segment of LRT holds well over two liters and doesn't take up that much space. Sure, it'll get long, but in reality my homemade water gun was only a little bigger than a CPS 1000 with all of that extra pipe on the end and had a PC 4 times the size and 15 to 20 feet greater range. If I shortened the pressure chamber to 6 inches, this water gun would be the size of an XP 150.

Having been the only person to try both, I do believe that you'll be much happier using the latex rubber tubing. Though, I'm pretty much biased at this point.

:cool: