Air Pressure Homemades

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:06 pm

This thread is a discussion continuation from the Blast of the Past- XP 150 thread. Where we left of:
Doom:

"am not going to be be "humble" either way; I don't believe in lies and won't inflate my statistics. Please remember that I am not trying to sell a product (yet at least!). I won't go measure ranges and take the best because I simply could get better ranges every single time. (That is the method Big Bee said he used by the way.)

I actually could definetly get better ranges, but I don't particularly care because good ranges are so accesible with homemades and the numbers already speak for themselves. However, I do believe I should try to pull out the best possible ranges soon because someone's going to soon think they do something real special by getting a water gun to shoot a certain distance. Pure range can be good, but there's other factors in water gun usability.

In the past I considered writing an article such as that, but I don't believe it would really do any good. There are those who are anti-homemade for whatever reason, and they can stay that way all they like. Safety concerns are non-existant unless you make a fire truck or shoot in the eyes. Cost is cheaper for the power

I also don't want to make unfair comparisons. Homemades are a completely different field of water guns, one that can be made into essentially anything. Power, usability, homemades win at all angles.

You can make a water gun as usable as you want with good strong range and a low amount of pumps. That's unfair for those who are just looking for money and selling kids toys. Remember, any and all manufacturers could make the greatest water guns there could be, but they choose not to.

If you want to continue this discussion, please make another topic for it. I love to talk about homemades, but not in an XP 150 review thread. "

Such an article would at least fuel discussions, wich afterall would be productive for Online Water Warfare. It doesn't have to be comercial, but more as creating a certain larger known image of homemades or homemade types. Promotion, or even over-promotion does not mean it would not be justified. For example there is this Dude with his Homemade: Ultimate Watergun
Its basicaly a fire exstiguisher and a yellow helmet, but he over-promotes it as the watergun of the millenium. And there is nothing wrong with that. Of course he just invited people to prove him wrong by surpassing him. And that kind of battle of showmenships would be fun online. Afterall, there is only so many "what retail soaker should I get?" threads that one can take after loosing interest in water warfare. At least for some of us.

Personaly, I used to be Anti-homemade(some probably still remember last year) and simply considered them cheap looking squirt scraps. But then I changed my mind after realising that Homamedes can be seen as self-sufficient Watergun internals that don't need a frame to function. If one choses to give it an external look, that is certainly possible, but not a must. So now, I like them.

As for uneven comparisons, it might just be my twisted sense of humor. CPS 1000 v.s Tripple Agressor. SS300 v.s Wooky Blaster. But on the other hand one will apreciate the superior performing model more since it does give the reader more of a lasting image. For example horses are still compared to cars as is in horsepower. Its not fair to the horse, but it sure helps the car description.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1114049322
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:35 pm

I am going to build a homemade this summer. But, I do not plan on using it in a war. I don't see how it can be practicle. I used to think that range was everything, but now I don't. In the past couple of days during this nice bit of good weather, me and several friends have had a couple battles. An XP 310 hit me wielding a CPS 1500. Sure, he was a little more wet than me because of the large nozzles, but he hit me first, and in a 1HK, that's what matters.

Sure, range may give you the upper hand in some situations, but using an APH during a war would be kind of hard. Duxburian has made one, and from holding it and getting a sense of how it would be used, I really don't think it would work all too well. Pumps, and weight are deffinately a key issue. What I really don't like is using a ball valve. It is not as easy as a trigger. The only reason I would build a homemade is for fun. I would deffinately not use it in a war.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:06 pm

Thread moved to more appropriate forum.

As for homemades versus stock soakers. meh... seen these arguments before and nothing has really changed. Companies build what they can, but are limited in what they can create by everything from stock holders to safety standards to general marketability. Homemades have the freedom to be whatever the builder is capable of.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:25 pm

Well thats an element that actually starts to fascinate me about APHs now. It seems to reflect more the user than retail models.

As for the 1HK games, personaly, I never liked 1HK games. Its a gameplay that seemed to became popular during the late 90s with Lasertag and Paintball and especialy now the "SoakerTag" thing. Plus 1Hk just seems more fitting to Lasertag, Airsoft and Paintball. To me, the main funktion of waterguns always was drenching and anoying someone with shots. Anyone who has seen the original Super Soaker comercials with the "Terminator kid" and "Mafia boys" bullying other neighbourhood brats, know what I mean. Sure it wasn't politicaly correct, but it was simply a different kind of fun than 1HK games. For me, it would be the only kind of fun with water guns anyways.
But different strokes for different folkes.

What I like about the APH concept is the pressure. I don't really care about distance, but the distance happend to be the side effect of higher pressure. If it would be up to me, and I could afford a chronograph, I would rate power accordering to stream speed wich is purly depending on pressure(FPS).

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1114066789
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:18 pm

I am going to build a homemade this summer. But, I do not plan on using it in a war. I don't see how it can be practicle. I used to think that range was everything, but now I don't.

My APH was not designed for range, although long range is common in homemades. I've discovered that you don't necessarily need homemades to obtain very long [60+] ranges. Therefore, this one focuses on power, output, and capacity, with long range a side-effect. The APH is pretty top-heavy due to the large pcs and I'm not yet comfortable with ball valves. As for pumps, the shaft is longer than normal and tracked, so the number of pumps will be less and shouldn't be too tedious. I will still use it in a war, but probably only as backup. Depends on how well it preforms in skirmishes.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers