balloon detonator/dangerous weapon - hehe...

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
leprekan

Post by leprekan » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:30 pm

in a recent summer camp i figured out how to make a homemade blowgun using a straw, a small nail, and some scotch tape.

you take a small nail and diagonally wrap a long piece of tape around it, leaving the half with the point untaped. the head of the nail should form the tape in to a sort of cone; make this cone big. stick the sharp end in to the straw until the tape fits nicely inside it, then cut off excess tape. open cone and load the "dart" into the straw. give a quick burst of air and this thing should get about 40-50 ft of range, depending on the length of your cone. be careful, as these can pierce corrugated cardboard from about 15 ft away. toothpicks are safer, but it is harder to get the breath- efficient cone. use this to pop water balloons in trees as enemies walk by.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:22 pm

Yes, I can just imagine the headlines.

"Boy Killed During Watergun Fight - Home-made Blowgun Blamed"

While walking under a tree, and innocent child of 13 was brutally killed after a nail hit him in his head. Allegedly, the killer was trying to pop a water balloon in a tree while running.

Edited By trekkie00 on 1091924674

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Once upon a time...
Guy 1: With my new blowgun I'm gonna shoot the water balloon right above the other guy's head *shoots blowgun* Dang! I missed!
Guy 2: Ow! My eye! *Rolls around on ground in pain with nail sticking out of his eye*

The End.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:22 pm

Thats a very dangerous and possibly oddest thing I have ever heard for super soakers. I'm no wizz, but I think you might want to rethink doing something like that in a battle.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:21 am

This sort of thing is just too dangerous for use in a water fight. Having a nail on a stationary device for popping a balloon is one thing, but having a nail flying through the air from a hand-aimed device is just asking for trouble.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:20 pm

hmm, good point. can't think of any other way to pop a balloon from afar, any ideas?

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:57 pm

A pellet gun, but that is the same scenario...

I've heard that a CPS stream can, if it is forceful enough, pop water balloons. I'm not sure if this is true, but you could use this idea.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:31 am

leprekan wrote:hmm, good point. can't think of any other way to pop a balloon from afar, any ideas?
Do what I did, and attatch a nail to a pendulum. When the enemy triggers a tripwire, the nail swings down and pops it, then it showers on them automatically. That way you don't have to be sitting there waiting for someone to walk underneath it, you can be somewhere else doing something worthwile.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:30 pm

An Automatic high power electric bb gun would do the job, something like my FAMAS or something. :cool:

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:45 pm

Nick wrote:An Automatic high power electric bb gun would do the job, something like my FAMAS or something. :cool:
I suggested something like that already.

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:38 pm

tripwires are too obvious, and a bb gun isn't exactly safer. cps stream requires giving away your position, and being hidden is really the idea. anything else i think of either involves expensive electronics or just isn't practical. maybe a laser pointer could do something to trigger a cheap, non electronic detonator...

Edit: 100TH POST!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!111111111oneoneoneoneonesix

Edited By leprekan on 1092105827

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 pm

Tripwires are not that obvious if theyre made of fishing line (during night battles anyway).
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:59 am

leprekan wrote:tripwires are too obvious
Actually, they're quite hard to see, especially if you're not looking for them. When Exodus and I were working on the trap, we actually had trouble finding where the fishing line was, even though it was right in front of us. Might I add that the fishing line was pink. Anyway, even if the enemy is looking for the tripwires, you can use that to your advantage because it will slow them down as they have to carefully watch their step. Either they walk very slowly to make sure they don't accidentally trigger one of your traps, or they run wildly and trigger every trap you've set. If they're concentrating on looking for traps and are walking slowly, you can hit 'em with CPS blasts. If they're running away to make sure you don't shoot them, they'll trigger the traps. Either way, you win. :;):

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:00 pm

hmm, good point. this also presents the problem of you not seeing your own traps, however. it would slow you down as well.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:23 am

leprekan wrote:hmm, good point. this also presents the problem of you not seeing your own traps, however. it would slow you down as well.

That's true, but if you only set one or two traps, and you make sure that every member of your team knows where they are, you can set a detour (for example, when you reach the burnt tree stump with a chalk mark on it, turn left and head around the boulder before continuing along the track) and if your team members use it they won't trigger the trap accidentally. Plus, the type of trap I made affects a wide area, so it will hit a few enemy soldiers that are walking in a group. Also, when the pendulum pops the balloon, it makes a slight snapping sound. (of the rubber flinging back into it's original shape) This sound will cause most to stop and look up, which will cause a direct hit. Oh, and that reminds me, if you ever practise setting up traps, be careful where you do it. I set an early version of the trap, which consisted of a a small water balloon dropping from a tree, out on the council's land between my house and the road, and when I went off to make a new and more effective upgrade for the trap the postman triggered it. :O Luckily he was on a motor bike so he rode past quickly and it missed him by about a metre. Thankfully he never knew the trap was there. :;):

Edited By Falcon on 1092307080

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:04 am

clever. maybe you could do just the opposite; a minefield!! it could completely surround your base.

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:19 pm

trekkie00 wrote:I've heard that a CPS stream can, if it is forceful enough, pop water balloons.
if you're gonna sit there with a CPS gun powerful enough to pop a water balloon, honestly, why not just shoot at the enemy and save yourself the trouble of tying water balloons in the trees?
-The Wizard of Water

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:44 pm

I agree with bluemage. The only water guns I know that can pop a water balloon have a 20x plus nozzle. At that point you might as well just shoot the enamy (sp?).