Air Pressure SC guns... - How do they work?

Guides and discussions about building water blasters and other water warfare devices such as water balloon launchers.
Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:43 pm

I understand pretty well how CPS SC guns function, but how do the Air Pressure SC guns fill AND pressurize? Can someone explain it to me?
I feel silly for not knowing. Sorry! :(

USSA

Post by USSA » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:50 pm

think of it this way... on the sc400 (i presume your talking about single compression) the air in the chamber doesn't go anywhere.... therefore as the water enters the air is forced into a smaller area... lo and behold you have pressure.... (this also explains why you need to have the sc400 in the qfd until its ful/nearly full. If you just a little water it doesn't compress the water enough... hope that clears everything up

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:38 pm

^ USSA summed it up fairly well... but for accuracy's sake, when water enters the reservoir, it compresses the air in he reservoir into a smaller volume, not area. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:44 pm

But I thought that the pump was what put the air in there... the air in the tank when you screw it on would be minimal, right?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:48 pm

The tank, when empty of water, is full of air (it's not a vacuum in there). That's a fair amount of air that can be compressed when water is pushed in by the hose to generate enough pressure, allowing the blaster to shoot.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:28 pm

So there's not a minimal amount of air in there, then.. That's where I was confused...
Sorry about that. :(

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:42 pm

isoaker_com wrote:The tank, when empty of water, is full of air (it's not a vacuum in there).
Is it possible to acheive a vacuum in a reservior? Once I dumped a soaker with some air in the reservior into the deep end of the pool and part of the reservior was crushed in. I later fixed that with a QFD fillup while keeping the overflow nozzle closed. I guess that with a vacuum the resevior would be somewhat crushed by the air around it.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Once I dumped a soaker with some air in the reservior into the deep end of the pool and part of the reservior was crushed in.

That's not due to a vacuum in the reservoir, rather the water pressure from the depth of the pool. However, for soakers with separate pressure chambers, it is possible to create a partial vacuum in the reservoir if the air-hole in the reservoir is plugged while water is being pumped from the reservoir to the pressure chamber. I've seen some soakers' reservoirs collapse inwards slightly because of this.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:43 pm

That's the hissing sound that is emitted when a soaker is pumped up too much, I presume.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:59 am

Soakologist wrote:That's the hissing sound that is emitted when a soaker is pumped up too much, I presume.
I don't know what you mean when you say "hissing sound" but on soakers with seperate pressure chambers, when it's fully pumped and you try to pump more, it becomes harder to pump and sometimes maked a squeaky, hissing sound, which is the check valve releasing water back into the reservoir. Otherwise, if you haven't put the cap on tight enough on a pressurised reservoir soaker, there can be a hissing sound when the pressure is leaking. If you're not talking about either of them then I don't know what you're talking about.