CPS 1500 repair help

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Redd

CPS 1500 repair help

Post by Redd » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:29 am

My CPS 1500 fires every time I pump it, so I will likely need to do a rubber band repair. How do I remove the nozzle cover while doing the least amount of damage possible to the nozzle cover, selector, and the rest of the 1500?

jja

Re: CPS 1500 repair help

Post by jja » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 am

i had to do the same thing recently to mine. my model only 2/3rds of the nozzle cover was glued (1/3 each side). i carefully inserted a small flat head screwdriver under the top of the nozzle cover, i did not use a prying motion instead i slowly ran the screw driver down though the join between the cover and the main shell, this audibly cracked the join open, but i could see that neither the cover or the shell were being damaged so i continued all the way down and repeated the same for the other side. I may have been lucky that the join came away so easily but i did it without a scratch or white stress mark on either piece

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:30 am

There's at least 2 versions of the 1500 and the one that is glued is well-glued, you need a ton of patience if you want the cover off with minimal damage. However, that's not really the part that matters, what you don't want to damage is the thin thing that holds the switcher in place. The middle of it is *incredibly* fragile and it needs to slide, so you can't just glue it back together if you snap it.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Redd

Post by Redd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 am

Is k-modding the 1500 a good or bad idea? I have heard from several people that the 1500 is pretty fragile for a CPS blaster, and the extra pressure the blaster would endure with a k-mod might not be worth the power-up.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 am

M4 tested a K-mod on his 1500 back in when he commanded the Red Scorpion Commandos. yes you can K mod a 1500 safely but 5x will lose range due to poorer lamination while 10x goes up.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Redd

Post by Redd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:26 am

I've removed pretty much all of the glue on the sides, and I can't pry the nozzle cover off. Is there glue on the front of the nozzle cover as well?

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm glad you mentioned that Redd.

There is a model of CPS 1500 with two screws holding the nozzle cover on. Take a close look at the two horizontal tabs surrounding the nozzle opening; if they look suspicious you should be able to pull them off to reveal two small screws. I have pictures on my Minus page somewhere and I may have posted a thread about it as well.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Redd

Post by Redd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks to soakinader, you were right and I was able to open the 1500. :)

I have performed the rubber band repair and fixed the firing valve, however I have a new issue. The blaster does not hold pressure, and leaks like crazy whenever it is pumped. I opened the PC expecting to find a ruptured bladder, but the bladder is perfectly fine. Is this an issue with how I reassembled the blaster, or the maybe the piping? Or is the PC still possibly ruptured, but the hole is so small that one cannot even see it when it is not pressurized?

UPDATE: I submerged the 1500 is a tub full of water and pumped it. All of the bubbles came from the area by the firing pin where the rubber band repair was performed, so I guess I have to open up the firing valve now.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I removed all of the screws from the 1500's firing valve, but I cannot separate the two halves. Am I missing out on something here?

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Never mind, I pried the firing valve open and the seals were... perfectly intact. Is this a misalignment problem?

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:31 pm

Your welcome. I knew I was good for something.

I have had two CPS guns like this one with this problem. What I did was grind the pin head off, remove the entire pin and gasket assembly, clean and re-lubricate the pin, add a new tiny o ring, drill a hole in the pin to add a Cauter pin, reassemble and finally it's done. I have a guide for that gun on the forum. Somewhere.

Basically, there is a spring which is supposed to hold a plate which is supposed to hold an o ring against the rear of the firing chamber which is supposed to prevent water from leaking out there.

Yeah, it's an annoying repair but it just goes to show you, those rubber bands are accomplishing nothing. The important part is the spring on the INSIDE of the firing chamber. Well, what you might have to do while you have the firing chamber is in pieces is to replace the spring.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.