Got my 2700 "NO LONGER A MESS"!!

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
jayblazer

Got my 2700 "NO LONGER A MESS"!!

Post by jayblazer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Well I Got the 2700 I have been waiting on in the mail today. Of the 21 screws that hold this together 4 of them came out. I had to drill the rest. It was apparent that this soaker had laid on its side for a while outside. One side is sun bleached the other is fine. Unfortunately the side that was up was the screw side and not the display side. Every piece of metal in this thing was rusted and crumbling. After 2 hours of working I finally got it apart. I really think I will get this thing up and running though. The firing valve still pulls shut fine "now that I got it off that rusted peg". But when I tried to test it when I first opened it up when I pumped water shot out the nozzle due to the stuck firing valve. But the bladder still seems fine.
Last edited by jayblazer on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Got my 2700 What a mess

Post by marauder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Man, I feel your pain. Rusted screws are terrible and I've got multiple guns I'm currently working on (very slowly) that have that problem. The 2700 is a great gun though, so I hope you get it fixed.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

c0chise

Post by c0chise » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Wait, does the firing valve work or not? I'm confused by your explanation.

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:30 pm

Yes it works now that its off a rusted peg that it pivots on.

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Got the pressure chamber opened up today. All 4 of the screws at the front needed drilled out. So now I have a 27,000!

I was really surprised how much thinner the bladder was on the 2700 then the 1-3-5. "2700 on left, 1-3-5-k on right"

I went with 25 balloons on this one. Seems like online the general consensus was 30 was good but since this one is older and I dont know the history at all
I stopped there.
On a side note this thing is getting reassembled with all stainless screws. The level of rust here is crazy. I understand that from a manufacturing standpoint that stainless is more expensive but I mean come on these are made to get wet...

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Pump is leaking like crazy. any suggestions?

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:18 pm

This is what I have. Does it look normal???

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:12 pm

jayblazer wrote:This is what I have. Does it look normal???
Those raised areas on the skirts are what make contact with the pump walls inside the tube. look at them closely, are they cracked in any way? there may be small cracks in them which may require replacement of the skirt seal.
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

jayblazer

Re: Got my 2700 What a mess "new pic of pump"

Post by jayblazer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Yes it has small cracks on the lips that contact the wall's. Where would I get a new pump skirt? I did find a guide saying I could stick a piece of vinyl tube under it. What do you think of that?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/tag/repair/

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:13 pm

There's 2 pump seal repairs on Hydrowar:
The one you pointed out
New pump seal repair

In the latter version there's only one pic up at the moment. I've had some trouble with my phone (will be upgrading next month) so it may be a little confusing until I get the other pictures up. I will check on those skirt locations for you.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:20 pm

So in that second guide your basically doing the same thing as the first just with an o-ring instead of the tube and then hot glued in place? Is that correct?

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:23 pm

It solves the same problem, but it's not done the same way. I really need more pics to show you. Here are more pics of the first repair if this helps:

I will try to upload pictures of the other repair, I really like it. Of course, your pump uses a rubber seal, which is what Soakinader worked with in the first article. I'm working with a plastic seal (150). I haven't tried it on a rubber seal so I can't guarantee it will work, but it's pretty cheap and easy to do. Just take your old pump seal to a hardware store and find rubber O rings that are the appropriate size. I should have more pics up soon that better illustrate this.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Ok, so the second article has been updated with another picture. I'm going to try to find the pictures that I took during the repair, but this is what the end result should look like -

It works great.

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate all your help. I think I will go with the vinyl tube. I'm going to be heading to my little local Ace Hardware in the next few days and try and replace every seal in the gun. Oh and All the springs and screws...

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:00 am

Of course. I updated the second type of pump seal repair: https://wordpress.com/post/22858244/5031/ now it has all the pictures and is a little easier to follow.

Do you know if stainless steel screws strip very easily? I didn't think about using them, though I did think about brass, which doesn't rust either. I wonder which strips less easily.

jayblazer

Post by jayblazer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Their heads will strip more easily and are not good in applications where thread lock is used. I went to the store tonight and just got some rubber tube that I thought would fit.. I was wrong.

I am thinking now that I might put all new vinyl hose in the gun. I have seen that in the MK2 models it is routed up and over the expansion chamber and this eliminates the hard bend just as the tube exits the handle and heads for the firing valve. Is this worth doing? and does anyone know the exact size of the tube??

Here's today's progress. Some of the holes in the case "most of the holes" got damaged while trying to open the gun. I found a dowel that fit just right and then glued a tooth pick to the center of the dowel to leave a hole for the screw and then applied J.B. weld in the holes. If every thing goes right the J.B. will cure and I will be able to snap off the tooth pick pull out the dowel and be set. I'm sure that it will require some "a lot" of clean up. heres some pics

jayblazer

Re: Got my 2700 What a mess "new pic of case repair"

Post by jayblazer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:55 pm

I made my way to Ace this morning for everything I needed To finish up I got all new springs for the trigger and the knobs that are used for the nozzle selector. I also got new O-rings for the expansion chamber and a few to put in the pump skirt.

I found the number 7 to be a perfect fit in the skirt. I put one in the front and one in the back. The pic isnt to good because i test fit it and it wouldn't come out.

But the good news is that now I have a perfect working 27,000!! Now onto the paint..

jayblazer

Re: Got my 2700 "NO LONGER A MESS"!!

Post by jayblazer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks to everybody who helped and gave advice..

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm

Nice! stats please?

This is a good example of nerfers having great crossover skills on the repair side of things I would have struggled alot with this gun and it might have gotten fixxed.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Dude, you did some major repairs. Whenever you can salvage a blaster this far gone it's a reason to celebrate. Do you think the k mod gave you more power? How is the stream lamination (how concise it is and the lack or presence of turbulence/spraying)?