XP 215 check valve

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
jja

XP 215 check valve

Post by jja » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:11 am

i own a few XP 215s, the marvel heroes pack, and one in the 2011 Nerf Super Soaker color scheme. Both my 2011 models (i have since lost one) performed much worse than the Marvel heroes ones - about a meter less range, with much more pumping required.

i opened up my remaining 2011 one and the problem seems to be the check valve - it slowly leaks air back into the pump - even at low pressure. I attached a balloon to the pump assembly and pumped it up - it slowly deflates and a whining noise is just audible. If i put my finger over the end of the pump tube it does not deflate and the noise stops - so there is no leak in the tubing it is definitely the check valve allowing air in the wrong direction

has anyone had similar problems with blasters before and can you recommend solutions to repair the valve?

only other thing i can think of is to replace the part but check valves are hard to get hold of and XP 215s are tiny so there is very limited space.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: XP 215 check valve

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:21 am

Aside from Isoaker I don't think any on WWN has even opened a 215 so I'm afraid we probably can't help much.

I love the 215 as an alternative to squirt guns, it's so unfair.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Cochise

Post by Cochise » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:38 am

I don't see how a check valve could flow in the wrong direction. The best thing, unfortunately, might be to just get a regular 215 and put the parts in the marvel heroes shell. Or you could order a check valve and attempt a replacement. That would be really good for us cuz then we could see how that works. Has anyone on here ever replaced a check valve?

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

With how small the 215 is, it would probably be best to just replace it.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Yeah, I'd say you're better off just replacing it. It's not like the 215 is super rare and powerful or anything. Replacing a check valve would be pretty difficult, as you cannot simply buy a replacement of the same size; you'd have to get one that's as close to the right size as you can, then try to make it fit. I am not aware of anyone ever doing this. I replaced the firing valve on my 12K using one from a 2100 MK2, but that's different.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Sounds like the valve is not closing completely. There are a bunch of possible causes: debris is caught in the valve, the spring is too weak, the seal is loose, etc.

If it's debris, you might be able to get it out by using the pump enough. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck if you can't replace the valve. I agree with SEAL that this is probably not worth repairing.

jja

Post by jja » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:48 pm

@Ben your ideas make a lot of sense - I tried pumping water through the valve to clear any debris - so that probably isn't the issue. spring or seal issues are most likely

i will try putting some silicon grease into the valve to see if that makes it seal.edit that doesn't work

i may also try switching one of the pump/check valve assembly from the three working ones - as if that goes wrong i still have two to useedit can't open the others they are glued shut

i have carried two as back up in most battles i have fought - at least i have three others that work great (the ones from my marvel hereos 3 pack all work really well) , but i much prefer the 2011 color scheme.

unfortunately Xp 215s are not sold anywhere in the UK currently, I bought my 2011 ones in Australia a year ago so no chance of returning them. I really dislike having less than fully functional blasters.

can't think of any other solutions now, blaster has been shelved - pending availability of spare parts