CPS 2100 PC casing broke

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
darthmeow

CPS 2100 PC casing broke

Post by darthmeow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi everyone! First post here. I recently got a CPS 2100 off off ebay and (despite the seller saying it was in good condition) it had an interesting problem:
The PC casing was partially destroyed. I think that the PRV may have failed and someone pumped it too much. Has anyone heard of this happening?
I put a plastic hose cover on it to provide a casing, and the PC can now be used as a pressure gauge:
Is this common, or a unusual problem? Is there anything else I should do to reinforce it?

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: CPS 2100 PC casing broke

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:18 pm

It still works so I would leave it alone
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:52 pm

the oncoming storm wrote:It still works so I would leave it alone
Ok- I did a 10 balloon k-mod now and it increased the range a bit, should I add more balloons?

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Expansion of the bladder is highly unlikely to crack the casing. I would be willing to bet that someone dropped it when it wasn't pressurized and the PC casing took the impact. 2100 PC cases are pretty brittle, I've opened up several 2100s with damaged ones.

The number of balloons to use depends on the mark/version and whether you want to disable the pressure relief valve. If you take a picture of the back of the reservoir, we can easily figure out the mark.

As a person who used to take 21Ks to extremes (90, 95 balloons), I would recommend not disabling the PRV. Heavy K-mods provide incredible range, but the streams break up so much that it's tough to hit anyone, plus the wind shreds them. Everything needs to be reinforced and the firing valve will fail over time.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Duxburian wrote:Expansion of the bladder is highly unlikely to crack the casing. I would be willing to bet that someone dropped it when it wasn't pressurized and the PC casing took the impact. 2100 PC cases are pretty brittle, I've opened up several 2100s with damaged ones.

The number of balloons to use depends on the mark/version and whether you want to disable the pressure relief valve. If you take a picture of the back of the reservoir, we can easily figure out the mark.

As a person who used to take 21Ks to extremes (90, 95 balloons), I would recommend not disabling the PRV. Heavy K-mods provide incredible range, but the streams break up so much that it's tough to hit anyone, plus the wind shreds them. Everything needs to be reinforced and the firing valve will fail over time.
Thanks, it makes sense that someone dropping it could break it. I will take a picture of the back of the reservoir tomorrow.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 pm

It should look like one of those ^
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:27 am

Duxburian wrote:Image

It should look like one of those ^
The one that had the casing break looks like the left one (no seam) and my other 2100 looks like the middle one.

Awesome paintjob, BTW.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:26 am

The one on the left with no seam is an MK1, the best version of the 2100. The rubber bladder is slightly larger than other 2100s, is easy to open, and has a strong PRV that can handle lots of balloons without engaging. You can put at least 40 balloons on one without touching the PRV, although somewhere between 30 and 40 seems to be optimal.

The middle one is an MK2, the worst version. The pump cap is glued and the outer nozzle piece is one solid piece that is tough to get out without having to break or saw it. The PRV is very weak and usually can only handle 5-10 balloons, if any.

Personally, I would transfer the good PC case from the MK2 to the MK1 and move the hose cover to the MK2. That, plus more balloons, will give you a great soaker. The MK2 has far less potential, to the point where most people leave them stock.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:33 am

Duxburian wrote:The one on the left with no seam is an MK1, the best version of the 2100. The rubber bladder is slightly larger than other 2100s, is easy to open, and has a strong PRV that can handle lots of balloons without engaging. You can put at least 40 balloons on one without touching the PRV, although somewhere between 30 and 40 seems to be optimal.

The middle one is an MK2, the worst version. The pump cap is glued and the outer nozzle piece is one solid piece that is tough to get out without having to break or saw it. The PRV is very weak and usually can only handle 5-10 balloons, if any.

Personally, I would transfer the good PC case from the MK2 to the MK1 and move the hose cover to the MK2. That, plus more balloons, will give you a great soaker. The MK2 has far less potential, to the point where most people leave them stock.
Thanks for the help! I may not move the PC case, but I will definitely add more balloons. Is it even worth opening the MK2 to get the PC case? The MK2 is also from ebay and has several stripped screws, so I might not even be able to get it open...
Last edited by darthmeow on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 am

Oh, if it has stripped screws, forget about it. There are various schemes to get them out, but it would not be worth the effort just for the case.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55 am

Duxburian wrote:Oh, if it has stripped screws, forget about it. There are various schemes to get them out, but it would not be worth the effort just for the case.
Ok, thanks for all the help.

Edit: I added 10 more balloons, and while I did not get to range test, it definitely seems to be more powerful.