Alternatives to Clamps

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Alternatives to Clamps

Post by marauder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 pm

I have found, more often than not, that clamps simply do not work for repairing waterguns. I have fixed broken triggers with clamps, because they usually have a long, rectangular area that needs to be clamped together. However, a lot of repairs involved small, curved pieces of plastic. and clamps just don't want to stay on. They slip off.

Today I decided to open up an XP 105 that was pump shooting. I sawed open the firing valve and replaced the crumbled, rusted out spring. Then when I put some water weld on the 2 pieces of the firing valve and stuck them back together. The clamps slide off. I got one side to stick, but when I put the other on they banged together and one would eventually fall off. I then tried to put the valves facing up on a piece of wood. The wood was beneath the back half and I tried clamping the 2 halves down onto the wood. Slid off.

Here's a picture of what it looks like currently:

There is an enormous amount of waterweld on it since that was the only way I could get it to stay at least somewhat together. As you can see, one clamp just slipped off. I have a feeling that with only 1 clamp the weight applied will be lopsided and will leave the nozzle pointed to that side. So, I'm going to just take that clamp off and literally hold the two halves together with one hand for about an hour. Yes, I am THAT crazy about water guns.

What other options are there???
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Neptune

Re: Alternatives to Clamps

Post by Neptune » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Vice Grips. I used them in my write up. Here's a picture Image
They're really helpful in the Auto world.

They're really grippy, and can easily be adjusted. If you want a fast and ghetto dry, have your friend apply JB Weld while you hold it, it'll be about 20 minutes before it's strong enough to hold it by itself, sand it first.

Edit: That's a ton of epoxy or something, it's not going to fit in the blaster, you may want to go thinner.
Last edited by Neptune on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 110 problems but a <Nice lady> Ain't one

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 pm

I often cut wood into a shape that allows clamps to be applied more easily. In the case of the valve shown, you should be able to drill holes in the center of two wooden sheets and then sandwich the valve between the wood and clamps respectively. This might not be the best solution, but it should be better than what you're currently doing marauder.

Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Fishfan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm

What Neptune suggested might be a good option.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm

How about a vice instead?

Yes, I know I had a clamp on there as well (it worked with that valve), but it was mainly just to help out, and I probably didn't need it.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.