xxp 275 leaking

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Shrike

xxp 275 leaking

Post by Shrike » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 pm

hey there,
i havent been active in this forum yet, but some may still know me from the previous forums.

i have returned with another "patient" in need of care.

this xxp 275 leaks when shooting it. i opened it up and there seems to be a crack in the tubing right where it splits apart:

i glued it shut with lots of hot glue and so far it doesnt seem to leak anymore from there.
then i noticed that whenever i stopped shooting, water would drip from the nozzles. it doesnt increase when i pump it and the gun shoots perfectly, it just keeps leaking some water for some time after shooting. the trigger mechanism seems to work fine, so does anyone of you know how i can stop this?

oh also, the pressure gauge only goes up to about 1/2 of full pressure, then pumping gets hard and it seems to be at maximum pressure

Shrike

Nitro123PG

Re: xxp 275 leaking

Post by Nitro123PG » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:13 am

Hello Shrike. Welcome to WaterWar.net!

Many soakers leak from the nozzle after shooting during normal operation, such as the CPS 2500. Your 275 may not be broken at all. As for the hot glue, I don't think that will last long. Hot glue was designed for arts and crafts and may not hold up, and the 275 may spring another leak. I would suggest you lather some epoxy on there for some reinforcement. Don't worry about the pressure gauge. They break easily and don't really serve a purpose. Use the PRV to tell you when to quit pumping.

Shrike

Post by Shrike » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:22 am

thanks for the quick reply!

i know that soakers leak after shooting, but this one does a lot more than the rest of them, for example my cps 2500
using epoxy is always pretty messy, so wanted to try hot glue first. as we are in for almost 100F this weekend, i will a lot of time for some test runs to see if it holds. if it doesnt ill use epoxy.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:31 am

Is the ball valve closing all the way? Is it stiff to rotate? Dos it leak from both nozzles? How long does it leak for after firing? As you probably know, there is quite a large volume of pipe between the ball valve and the nozzles (more so than most blasters) so if there is nothing wrong with the valve, it is most likely just this 'dead' water leaking out of the nozzle. As Nitro said, this isn't anything to worry about.

As for the crack glue and/or epoxy may or may not work depending on how large the crack is (can't quite tell from the pics). Epoxy putty is best for larger cracks as it properly fills them. Standard epoxy isn't really designed to fill gaps. Some metal reinforcing strips wouldn't go amiss either.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Nice to see you back, Shrike. Adorable avatars are always great things to have around the forums. :goofy:

While epoxy is probably the best thing (or maybe goop, though I don't know about availibilty of that there in Germany, it is essentially one part epoxy IIRC), there are some serious hot glues, usually referred to as hot melt (versus cool melt) that are much more durable, so don't immeadiately dis hot glue.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 am

Hey :)
Water dribling is a often seen problem with this gun, Problem is that the ball valve gets worn out during time and the seal too. You could try to shift the "tooth-cycles" ( sorry, this was translated 1:1, do not have time to look things up...)by one element to get the trigger "close" a little bit more. This may lead to problems with water flow at full-opened trigger, may...

You could also let the trigger "snap" back to get it closed. Should work fine from experience :) You can also add a stronger spring or cut out the trigger's plastic to archieve a brighter trigger-way towards the front, initializing a bigger trigger and so bigger valve-turning way, which can also lead to a total close up :)

Good luck

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 am

GJIV- it would probably be easier if you told him in german…

About the repair, as GJIV said, the easiest short term solution is to let the trigger snap back- pull the trigger and then slide your finger off to the side. Adding to (with rubber bands) or replacing the spring is a better long term solution.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

Shrike

Post by Shrike » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks for all the replys guys!
GJIV wrote:You could try to shift the "tooth-cycles" ( sorry, this was translated 1:1, do not have time to look things up...)by one element to get the trigger "close" a little bit more.
I know what you mean and I have already done that, the valve seems to close properly. In the end, I guess it's probably just the water from the tubing between nozzle and valve, oh well....

@atvan: i'v never heard of goop and they probably don't sell it over here :(

I've done some test runs with the gun and it hasn't leaked, so i'm just gonna assume that that the hot glue fixed it :)
and dont worry guys, ill be back in a few days with a pretty mean case of broken soaker (which i also want to mod)

Shrike

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Good to hear it's fixed.
atvan wrote:@atvan: i'v never heard of goop and they probably don't sell it over here
I didn't think 'Goop' was the actual name of an adhesive, but apparently it is! Here is the adhesive know as Goop!

Epoxy putty is sold in Europe, and that might have worked. The steel reinforced stuff is pretty good. It doesn't even rust! :D

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:14 am

atvan wrote:GJIV- it would probably be easier if you told him in german…
Haha, nobody would understand...or does anyone speak German ? :goofy:

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 am

Seeng as Shrike is in Germany, It would be a good bet… :goofy:
Beware the Purple

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 am

GJIV wrote:
atvan wrote:GJIV- it would probably be easier if you told him in german…
Haha, nobody would understand...or does anyone speak German ?
I 'did' speak German. :goofy:

My grammar still isn't too bad, but I've forgotten a LOT of my vocabulary, and pronunciation is a little off now (I do have to think quite a bit before replying to anything as well.) :goofy:

I still managed to ask for stuff last year in Austria, so I haven't forgotten everything... yet. :goofy: