Plastics!

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Jeffman3

Plastics!

Post by Jeffman3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Does anybody happen to know which plastic in particular the innards of Super Soakers are made of? I'm having a hell of a time finding an adhesive that will hold to the inside of the ball valve with sufficient strength to take the pressures involved with smaller nozzles...

Edit: Update! I found a solution. A very thin film of gorilla glue served to act as a press and has held the two pieces together... Strongly enough, if not perfectly.

atvan

Re: Plastics!

Post by atvan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Have you tried PVC cement/acetone? It might work too well- if you have some scrap plastic, you could test it out.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Tried multi-purpose cement yet? That stuff has held disabled PRVs down on 21Ks in excess of 80 balloons. I also use it on PVC and it's kept my water cannon sealed perfectly since 2006.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Jeffman3

Post by Jeffman3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I tried my acetone-based PVC/CPVC primer. Didn't phase the ball valve in the slightest... Can't use PVC cement, as that won't bond properly to the CPVC barrel assembly I"m using. I didn't try multi-purpose cement, but the gorilla glue is working quite well. It hasn't really bonded perfectly to either plastic but its foaming/expanding function worked well to keep the two already close-fitting pieces together.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:19 am

I love Gorilla Glue. I used it to fix my headphones and my flip flops, cuz although they are like 99c I couldn't find any over here. Amazing stuff.

I use JB Weld most often. I even used that stuff to fix a leak in my radiator 3 years ago. It's done me good so far with fixing soakers. There's a few pictures I have at home of repairs, using JB Weld, that I want to put on Hydrowar when I get back home.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:32 pm

I would also recommend JB Weld. If used properly, it is pretty amazing. I would recommend cleaning and sanding the mating surfaces!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!