Organizing the Workshop Forums

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
isoaker

Organizing the Workshop Forums

Post by isoaker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 am

DX recommended that the Water Gun / Blaster Workshop be reorganized a bit, splitting apart homemade building threads from blaster modification threads. This seems to make sense to me.

However, what I am undecided on is whether "Modifications" should be its own forum or whether those threads should be pushed into this one, creating a "Modifications / Repairs" forums. On the one hand, when need to repair a blaster, there are a lot of similarities in needed action compared to when one wants to modify it. Moreover, some care/repair guides are, in a sense, light modifications. On the other hand, many think of modifications as a means to change functionality, not simply repair or strengthen a blaster.

Thoughts? Merge or give "Modifications" its own forum? When it comes down to it, how should the "Water Gun / Blaster Workshop" section be organized?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

martianshark

Re: Organizing the Workshop Forums

Post by martianshark » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm

It makes sense. I don't really mind what you do.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm

What we really need is the SSC modding, home made, and repair posts merged onto this forum, because they are extremely helpful. Speaking of which, who all that was only at SSC has moved over here? I like Dx's plan.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I think that modifications and repairs are distinctly separate concepts, even though repairs are technically mods. If you are new and your favorite gun just broke, you don't want to wade through tons of irrelevant power mods to find simple fixes. At least I wouldn't, I'd go somewhere else where the info is presented more clearly.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:54 pm

DX wrote:I think that modifications and repairs are distinctly separate concepts, even though repairs are technically mods. If you are new and your favorite gun just broke, you don't want to wade through tons of irrelevant power mods to find simple fixes. At least I wouldn't, I'd go somewhere else where the info is presented more clearly.
Somewhere else, such as...??? haha I hope that we can eventually integrate the old SSC posts here.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 pm

DX has a point. However, it can get confusing. Maybe whatever the original purpose is should be the topic. If it becomes something else, the thread can be split or moved.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 am

How do sections of mods, homemades, and repairs get confusing?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:08 am

DX wrote:How do sections of mods, homemades, and repairs get confusing?
We'll go for this for now; seems to make the most sense.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:16 pm

They overlap so much- JLSpaceMarine's laminator could be considered all three. Fixing a MD valve often involves silencing it. I'm just saying there is grey area, it is not black and white.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:43 am

atvan wrote:They overlap so much- JLSpaceMarine's laminator could be considered all three. Fixing a MD valve often involves silencing it. I'm just saying there is grey area, it is not black and white.
When it comes to categorizing threads, while a thread may end up touching everything from repair, modding, and even building, it can be simplified if one considers primary intent.

One may wish to repair a blaster, but the repair involves making a modification, but the original thread would be put into repair.

Another may want to modify their blaster, but it might need to be repaired first before the modification can be done; nevertheless, the main intent was to modify, thus that thread would be put into the modification forum.