CPS 1200 Issue

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: CPS 1200 Issue

Post by SEAL » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:11 pm

I thought the kettle trick only worked on wood. I'll mess around with it, but I have a feeling that my only hope is to heat it up again and try to bend it back.

It's actually 195° F, and not only that, but on the package, it says that the stuff "Ignites at 500°, but slight scorching is acceptable." Sheesh... :oo:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 pm

That PVC glue stuff must be meant for some pretty heavy duty PVC!

Anyway, I've used hot kettle steam on wood, plastic and thin metal. The basic idea is to heat it up to make it less fragile and easier to bend. Most of the time it relieves 'stress' in the material allowing it to flex naturally to it's original shape. Also using the steam from a kettle can be more easily controlled than other methods of heating up materials. Heating it too quickly and too hard isn't as controllable and you may end up with even worse distortion. As long as you can heat it up carefully to a temperature that lets you flex the valve so that the plunger and seal are in line and seat correctly on the sealing face inside the valve, then it matters very little that the rest is distorted (as long as it all still fits in the blaster!).

As an extreme last resort, if you can't flex it back into alignment and the next stage is binning the valve, you could cut and stick parts to force re-alignment. It would be very difficult, and would need a lot of precision work, but it can be done.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Epoxy Putty.

'nuff said.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:48 am

Well, I managed to get everything back together (Long story.), and it seemed to be working okay, so I decided to test-fire it. But there's a little problem; now the valve won't open! It worked fine when I dry-fired it, but it seems like the water pressure is holding it closed or something. The pin still pulls back, but that could just be that "X" piece moving back and forth, and not pulling open the valve.

God damn it. Oh well... Any advice?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:09 pm

You're sure you don't want a new one? For a price cut of just $10, you can pick from any of the stock 1200's I have and I could get you one this weekend in person, so no shipping cost.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:29 pm

If it is because of the pressure, and if the balloons are still on the PC, then they may be part of the problem. You may want to consider DX's offer and use yours as spares???

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Very well. For $10, there's no way I can refuse. I'll just use the other one for parts or something.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:34 pm

To the PARTS BIN!

Sorry to hear it though. Next com war, we need to have a parts bin trading session- everybody brings broken stuff guns (water and nerf) and barters. Would be a lot of fun IMO. SEAL could get his pull valve, DX could establish a monopoly and the others would be seen in the backgrounds of photos smashing guns against rocks to get some sick trades.

:P
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm

If your pull valve is f*ed, then you can always hack it off with a saw and replace it with a ball valve. A CPS 1200 with a ball valve is better than a CPS 1200 with no valve at all. It's a pity because everything else on the 1200 works together nicely, in most cases. You do loose the main trigger, but the ball valve works. (You do have to cut up the case and preferably build an arm extension on it, and quite a lot of other work too such as lining up the nozzle or otherwise making sure it works.)

I'd take the broken 1200 (either via paying for shipping or at the community war), but I already have a ton of water guns to fix and not enough time.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 am

Atvan, are you serious about that? Because I will dump almost my entire supply of broken things if people want to buy/sell/trade. I have like 7 years' worth of parts that take 5 boxes to store. Triggers, PCs, bladders, pumps, nozzles, grips, covers, firing pins, trigger valves, casings, springs, reservoirs, whole internal and external assemblies...if it's in a CPS water gun I probably have it. I'll make a list at some point. I still have 80+ balloon 21K pcs, too (if someone wanted to be brave). Off the top of my head, I also know there's 1" brass ball valves in there, 1/2" check valves, and a fair amount of 3" and 4" caps and reducers.

Course if someone wanted working guns, most of my arsenal is available, minus 2000/2500/1200s. Save on shipping, although I'd want fair prices aka not winter basement bargains, unless the gun is a wreck. On nerf, I don't have too much to offer, unless someone wants to buy a BBB, PAS, 1st gen NF, RF 20, Mav, NIB Firefly, or Tek 10.

Nibordude gave me a broken 1000 in 2006 where I had to replace the pull valve with a ball valve. Pictures exist somewhere in that treasure trove of images I dug up from my old comp. You do a lot of cutting and a lot of gluing, but it does work. It looks ugly and tap shots won't be the same unless you've developed a wrist flick reflex while operating homemades, but it's not the end of the world.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

I think it would be fun, so yes I was serious. Don't know how others would feel about it though, though I see no reason to openly oppose it. Would you happen to have a 1200 valve in there? :goofy:

And you just proved my point that you could establish a monopoly if such an event was to occur.
Beware the Purple

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:28 pm

DX, I think your insane 21k PC's belong in CPH's lol.

Ball valves are really a trade for superior lamination and flow at the expense of controllability. The main problem is that you can't shoot while pumping. I find the more difficult tap shots to be less of an issue since I only tap shot to suppress. (I ALWAYS favor short shots sustaining 600-800ms for kill shots, but that's just me.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Haha, if I could get a broke CPS 1200 like yours, seal, for 10 dollars I would take it haha, but sadly speaking there is hardly ever the chance to get guns here in europe^^ Sometimes on ebay but not very likely...

@DX We talked about a gun-deal some months ago, but then you did not have time for me because of test or something like that^^ Would still be interested in some! Would be happy to get a list from what you can offer, + conditions and the price you want for each^^

Totally missed this topic... but seems that the problem is solved :) Or at least replaced... hehe

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

I haven't totally given up on it yet. I just need to think for a while.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:51 pm

@DX We talked about a gun-deal some months ago, but then you did not have time for me because of test or something like that^^ Would still be interested in some! Would be happy to get a list from what you can offer, + conditions and the price you want for each^^
I will have all weekend free and thus will be cataloging all of my guns. Almost everything except 2000s, 2500s, and 1200s are theoretically for sale.