XP 150 Repair Issues

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Nitro123PG

XP 150 Repair Issues

Post by Nitro123PG » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 pm

I bought a beat up XP 150 from my neighbors todays, and saved it from the clutches of the little kids living there. It's broken, but I belive it can be fixed...
1. Does not hold pressure, but if I fire right after I'm done pumping, it can still cause some good soaking.
2. Makes noise while pumping
3. Leaks by the nozzle when pointed downwards
4. Noise that sounds like air comes from the reovoir-gun connection point
5. The gun doesn't want to come apart, because the tip of the barrel and an orange piece at the base of the pump don't want to come apart.

I'm new to the soaker community, so I need as much help as I can. Thanks! :)
Last edited by Nitro123PG on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Re: XP 150 Repair Issues

Post by martianshark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 pm

That doesn't sound like it's working fine. For the pump cap and nozzle cover, you'll have to pry it/break it off somehow. What do you mean by "does not hold pressure"? Does water leak out of the pressure chambers? Or does it fail to pump water at all?
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:44 am

After I pump, I can hear and feel air leaking out of the nozzle, and I can't seem to completly fill the firing chamber, but I can still fire the gun with good streams. If I fire right after pumping. 8 pumps doesn't seem to completely fill the chamber. Also, how should I go about breaking the pump cap and nozzle tip off?

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Some people try to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver. That's what I did. Some other methods are melting the glue with heat, or using a razor or something to cut the glue, or cutting the cap into two halves and then snapping them off, or a combination of one of these methods. Getting it off will most likely ruin the cap, but it usually isn't needed anyway.

For your other problems, I'm not sure what's happening. :/
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:02 pm

You'll want to pry the cap off before getting the screws to keep things easier. I prefer to keep the screws in the casing piece that comes off, that way I don't have to remember nor mark which screws go where.

When cutting the cap into 2 halves (can be done with a dremel, saw, or a sharp flathead screwdriver and a hammer), be especially careful with important nearby parts such as the pump or nozzle, depending on where you're operating on.

1. If it's not holding pressure properly, then the problem is most likely a leak in anywhere on the blaster that constantly holds pressure.

2. The pump should only make a louder noise (and should suddenly become stiff) when at full pressure. If that's not the case, then the pressure relief valve may be starting to wear out. However, no instances of this have been documented so you'll want to get very specific on this issue before anyone can make accurate calls on what the issue may be coming from.

3. This may be normal, or it may be a problem with the firing valve. If it leaks constantly, then it is probably the firing valve. Otherwise, the "leak" is likely caused by leftover water from the nozzle dripping out. This happens in most water blasters and the dripping goes away afterwards if the valve is sealed and no more shots are made. Other leaks from around the blaster may collect into the nozzle and give the appearance that the nozzle itself is leaking.

4. For the reservoir, if it seals against water perfectly, it should be fine. Air needs to go into the reservoir when pumping to prevent implosion due to negative pressure. (Technically not negative pressure, but pressure from the outside crushing up the reservoir since the pressure inside is less than outside.) If there seems to be a leak, pinpoint it, because as mentioned earlier, leaks may not come from where they appear to be.

5. Mentioned earlier. Carefully pry any parts out as necessary.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Alright, I'll be repairing the XP 150 tonight. Let's hope for the best....
Last edited by Nitro123PG on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Alright, after a half hour of cutting and prying, my XP 150 is open. I covered the nozzle and pumped, and the pressure leak stopped, so the problem must be in the trigger mechinism, or mabye the pressure release valve is wearing out like CA99 said. However, I want some help or advice before I start tearing into the internals. Thanks...

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:40 pm

You might only have to do the rubber band mod. See here: http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/nozzle_leaking.html

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 pm

After messing with the internals bit more, I think the rubber band mod will do the trick. So, once I figure out exactly which parts the bands need to go on... (ehehe...) I will have a fully functonal XP 150! :D

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:31 am

The rubber band has to go over the pin, as seen in the picture in the link that I posted.

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 pm

The bands are in place, and the nozzle no longer leaks. :) However, I now hear a noise coming from where the pump cap used to be. Is this another leak?

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Never mind, it's been fixed. Lemme just put it back together and I'll have a fully functonal XP 150! :D