Getting a monster X stream laminated.

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Nick

Getting a monster X stream laminated.

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:05 pm

So the other of my two Monster Xs has a CPS 2500 pressure tank residing in it. It works well too. However I drilled the 11.5x nozzle to make it bigger, but it isn't very coherent. I want to do a mod to add tubes or something, ala CPS2000 nozzle. Will this work?

Sun

Re: Getting a monster X stream laminated.

Post by Sun » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:06 pm

I personally have never tried, although it might work.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Dragonclass tried to do something similar on his blasters, but got mixed results. As Ben noted in that thread, laminators are positioned before the nozzle, not within the nozzle, to smoothen stream flow. If your drilled nozzle has lost a good amount of coherence, you'll have likely better luck trying to smoothen the inside of the nozzle somehow (fine sandpaper or careful application of an electrical tape lining perhaps?) as opposed to adding in a laminator-construct.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Rover

Post by Rover » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Well.. the only way I could think of is to modify the actual nozzle assembly inside the soaker, as I suggested in the other thread. The Monster X (the one I've seen) uses a showerhead-looking chunk of rubber instead of the straws used in older cps guns. This drops the flow a whole lot, resulting in bad preformance on large nozzles.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:15 am

Take a picture of the stream. Likely what you think is poor lamination isn't. A stream similar to this isn't unusual, but it's not ideal.

Generally I would not suggest screwing around with the screen/laminator assembly. It's easier to cause problems than to fix them. And most Super Soakers have a good laminator assembly as-is, so there's probably not much improvement that can be done without reducing performance in another way. It was only recently that they eliminated the laminator assembly and replaced it with simple smaller diameter pipes, which is similar to how the laminator assembly worked anyway (breaking the big flow path into smaller pipes).

If you drilled the nozzle I'd make sure it was drilled cleanly and completely. Cut off burrs. Sand it a bit if you need to.

Rover, if you could take a picture of your Monster X's laminator assembly, I'd appreciate it.

Rover

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:17 pm

I no longer have the monster (it actually wasn't mine to begin with) but this page describes exactly what it looked like, along with some pictures: http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Gallery/ ... class.html and here is the snippet of text I'm refering to: "After that, Hasbro/Larami seems to have gone to smaller nozzles and pressure chambers. With that, they designed thin, shower-head looking "laminator walls." Part of the 2100, 4100, Monster, Monster X, MXL, and I suppose the Splashzooka, Super Charger Power Pack, and SC Big Trouble. They also appear on the SC500 and 600."
I can't copy the pictures, but you'll see it on that page.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:08 pm

I know what you mean now. Those should actually laminate the water better than say the CPS 2000 laminators would because the diameter of the straw-like things is smaller. The problem is that they're restrictive. They will reduce the total water flow. The idea is to pack as many small straws as possible into an area to straighten out the flow by giving it a small path to travel through without reducing the flow too much.

Rover

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm in agreement with you about the lamination, and I suppose thats what this thread is really about. I'd basically echo Ben here, and say make sure that your new nozzle is smooth and free from obstruction. I was merely saying that to get any sort of preformance out of a big massive nozzle drill, you may want to look at something with a bit more flow, as I'd think that the "Laminular wall" style would drop the flow a ton, as well as (maybe) cause stream breakup due the the turbulence right behind the laminator as the water tries to force its way through. Obviously I'm not an expert on these things like Ben or any of the other long-term water warriors, so that last part is pure conjecture. I just see that dragonclass replacing the wall style laminator with his straw-style one, let him use a ~18x nozzle effectively on his Monster X.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:34 am

This is all very complex and confusing. I'll mess about with some straws etc and see what happens. I just wish Larami had never ben sold to Hasbro. I also wish they'd make propper SUPER soakers, not water guns. WE WANT A NEW CPS2000!

Rover

Post by Rover » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Nick wrote: WE WANT A NEW CPS2000!
I find that kinda funny... I've got two cps2000s, and guess what my favorite super soaker is? My (lightly k-modded) cps 1200. The 2k is awesome to mess around with and show off, but its just not that effective in an actual battle without a ton of people for backup. I know you didn't mean it literally, but I just wanted to point out that all the people who think that the 2000 is the be all, end all of soakers isn't even close. Personally, if you want a good soaker, the best thing to do is make one. Homemades rock in terms of preformance, and a skilled hand could make one just as easy to use as a stock soaker, albeit a bit uglier.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Oh I know. I know for a fact I'd murder almost any soaker with a CPS3000. The only one I feared was the Power Pak, as he'd make you pay if you didn't get him early.