Broken(ish) Tiger Shark

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Sun

Broken(ish) Tiger Shark

Post by Sun » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I got my Tiger Shark in June, and I've kept it in prime condition for as long as i got it. However, while i was having a soakfest with my friends, my Tiger Shark started to fire while i was pumping. I located that problem to having the trigger not retracting all the way back. I opened my water gun, and then put some vaseline on. However, it still didn't work at all. Worse, it started making creaking noises while i was firing. Everything inside seemed to be fine. Any suggestions?

isoaker

Re: Broken(ish) Tiger Shark

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Welcome to iSoaker.net! Sorry to hear about your partially disabled blaster.

This sounds like a case for the good ol' rubberband repair trick. Not sure why you're getting creaking noises. At any rate, the idea behind the rubberband repair is to reinforce that spring that closes the ball valve, but not make it too tough to pull the trigger. What you'll need is a not-too-small, but not-too-large rubber band that you can wrap around the valve arm and fixed positions to assist the spring. Somewhere, someone has a picture of an analogous repair, but I currently cannot find it. Hopefully, though, this description makes sense.

Let us know how it goes and please share pictures and thoughts of your repair job if you can!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:43 pm

The repair should be fairly straightforward, if the internals are anything like the Orca's, because the extension spring is conveniently attached to a post that can hold a rubber band. I'm not sure of the cause of the creaking, but it could be the trigger or another piece sliding on plastic, or maybe the two halves of the case might not be properly aligned. Does it creak just when you pull the trigger? When the case is open? Where is the creak coming from, to the best of your knowledge?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Thanks for posting that link, Silence, though that particular pic in the guide isn't the one I had in mind. I could swear I've seen a rubberband fix on a ball-valve somewhere either here or on SSCentral. Then again, could've also been on another site and I'm just getting senile in my older age... :goofy:

Edit: Found one example here, but this is still not the right one I have in mind

Another example, but still not the one I had in mind :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Hmm...I recall C-A_99 posted a picture of a repair with a rubber band (not a spring) somewhere. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. Although the two you linked to are good too. I've never even seen the first site before. :p

Edit: Was it the Flash Flood trigger sticky? I can't find anything else here or at Super Soaker Central.

Croc

Post by Croc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 pm

I know of the article you speak of. It is on SSC and has pictures of an FF being fixed, right? I will find it, and edit this post with it.

EDIT: found it! http://forums.sscentral.org/t2730

I will put this link in my signature so it is easier to find.

Sun

Post by Sun » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:24 am

Now I've got the Tiger Shark fixed, but it still doesn't work very well.I switched the rubber band to one that pulls harder, but now i can't pull the trigger plus I'm afraid that the trigger will break, so I've decided to change my tactics and use my Flash Flood instead.