repair of my XXP 275

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
RCAnderson

repair of my XXP 275

Post by RCAnderson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Well I've got an XXP 275 Water gun that has stoped working, it was holding the preasure slightly last summer, but isn't at all this summer. I think it is the trigger valve as last year I opened my gun up and moved the cogs a few teeth to close the valve more and that fixed it then, however it seems to have stoped holding any preasure. I would rearly like to be able to fix this gun if someone has an idea how to fix it. I would prefer not to have to cut it apart etc, but I think I will have to as it's all glued together. Also if anyone has any other ideas what might be wrong with it, please let me know and I'll check them.

Thanks

isoaker

Re: repair of my XXP 275

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:23 pm

So many reasons that your blaster may not be holding pressure. However, there are ways to narrow down the diagnosis without opening the blaster (though you'd probably need to open it to fix it).

First, fill it with water and pump without pulling the trigger. If water comes out the nozzle, it's probably a fault nozzle valve seal. However, if water comes out elsewhere, some other inner piping seal has failed. If no water comes out anywhere and no water seems to be exiting the reservoir, it's likely a pump problem.

If you do end up re-opening your XXP275, please share some internal pics if you can! Otherwise, good luck with diagnosing the problem. Whether you can easily repair the problem really depends on what the problem actually is. Let us know how your progress goes!

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Is there a leak? You implied that the water gun is leaking from the nozzle when you pump, but I'm not sure. If that's not the problem, see this repairs page.

RCAnderson

Post by RCAnderson » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:48 am

thanks both, I will try filling it with water today to check where it leaks, I've allready opened it up to see how easy it would be to fix, so now should be able to see exactly where the water is coming out from. I will also take some pictures whilst I've got it open and upload them here.

RCAnderson

Post by RCAnderson » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:04 am

ok, my pictures are attached, if you need more detailed pictures of any part, please just let me know.
Attachments
DSC_0422_20003.JPG
DSC_0422_20003.JPG (63.57 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSC_0420_20002.JPG
DSC_0420_20002.JPG (104.96 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DSC_0419_20001.JPG
DSC_0419_20001.JPG (62.18 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

RCAnderson

Post by RCAnderson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:29 am

just checked to see exactly where it was leaking. Turns out that it is leaking where I said, just through the end nozzles. So I think it is the trigger valve. Is it known that these wear after a while? and if so, does that mean there will be replacments avaliable somewhere?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks for the pictures and info. B)

I linked to this repair article earlier, but things might work a little differently here since the XXP 275 uses a ball valve. Have you tried pushing forward on the trigger handle to see if that stops the leaking? If that doesn't work, then using another spring to do the same job may not help either.

I see what you mean about the cogs now. Turning the ball valve relative to the lever may help for a bit, but the best option would be to make sure they both spin back to their original positions. At the moment, if you can push the lever forward, just use an extension spring or a rubber band to add to the force from the original spring. The original even looks a little rusted, which is another possible reason for the loss of strength.

RCAnderson

Post by RCAnderson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I have tried pushing forward on the trigger handle, and that worked last year a bit, so I moved the cogs to act as if that was being done, and that helped, but has not eliminated the problem. As for the spring, it springs back fine, so I don't think the rust is causing a problem. I have just moved the cogs another notch, and will test the preasure tomorrow morning hopefully. I've just got to remember to but the casing back on so the balls that hold the preasure don't pop off and get me soaked again lol.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Good luck with the repair and I hope the problem is simply a cog issue. My main fear is that somehow the outer cog on the ball-valve may no longer be properly rotating the inner part of the valve, thus resulting in your problem opening/closing it fully. I hope I'm wrong, though, since repairing or replacing the ball valve would be a much more ambitious repair job.

Let us know how it all goes! As well, may I repost your XXP275 internal pics on iSoaker.com?

Soak on!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:35 pm

Note that, thanks to the design of the case, you should be able to easily replace the ball valve if all else fails. You may have a little more difficulty installing the return spring though. :cool:

RCAnderson

Post by RCAnderson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:40 pm

The main problem with the replacment of the ball valve, would be finding one that works, I think I could probably fit it, unless it is much harder than it sounds. As for using my pics, I don't mind, and if you want more, let me know.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Look for a 3/8" brass ball valve at your nearest Lowes or other plumbing or hardware store. Brass valves have convenient torque arms screwed into place, and if you need to you can replace them with a custom one that has a post for a spring to attach to. And a spring probably isn't too big a worry...since your hand needs to be on the lever to pull anyway, it might as well push to close the valve.

RCAnderson

Post by RCAnderson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Good news! it works again, just adjusting the cogs a little got it working again, so no one was dry today :D Thanks all for the help, and I hope it doesn't happen again, as I can't move the cogs any further.

Croc

Post by Croc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm

If the cogs give you a problem, just take a small dowel or something similar, remove the original handle, and replace it with the dowel. Then, cut a hole in the case so that the arm can open and close the valve.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:21 pm

It's taken me a little longer than usual (admittedly, I forgot about these pics :goofy:), but they're now reposted at iSoaker.com on the Super Soaker XXP275 Internals page

Thanks again for the pics and soak on!