CPS 4100 - trigger broken, any help?

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
avis

Post by avis » Sat May 27, 2006 9:46 pm

I had a CPS 4100 mk 2, and the trigger snapped today at the end of long soaker battle with my little brother. My question is; is this repairable and how do I go about opening the soaker. Also, if I must replace the soaker, are there any equals on the market today. Preferably lowercost. I liked the output and intimidation I had from having the largest soaker in the neighborhood.

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Sun May 28, 2006 8:10 am

Hey Avis, welcome to iSoaker. Yes, it probably is repairable! My CPS 4100's trigger broke too, and I was able to bring it to above 95% functionality. I have a few questions for you before I continue:

1. Where did it break? Was it the thin strip between the grip and the part that slides on the pumping mechanism, or is it more serious than that?

2. Do you still have both parts of the trigger? If you do, you should be able to epoxy/reinforce the trigger back together. If not.....

3. Do you happen to have any broken CPS 2100's? I doubt it since they're not very common anymore, but if you do for some reason, I have a solution of sorts for you.

Please respond to these questions and I'll see if I can help you. If not, I'm sure wither Duxburian or someone else with more soaker knowledge than myself will be able to help you out. Also, check through other posts that people have made about broken CPS 4100s, since you're certainly not the first person to have a problem. Good Luck! ^_^

BTW, no there really aren't many guns sold today that rival the CPS 4100 in output and size. You're best bet would probably be either the 2005/2006 Water Warriors Blazer by Buzz Bee Toys or the 2006 Max Infusion Flash Flood by Super Soaker. Beyond that, older CPS 2100s and CPS 4100s from a few years ago are still common in some places in the country. I wouldn't give up on your 4100 just yet, though! :crazy:
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 28, 2006 9:43 am

I'm guessing that your trigger snapped where the grip part and sliding part meet. Nearly all 4100 triggers that break snap off there. Epoxy it, then cut thin strips of metal [several aluminum strips will do] and glue those across the cut. Then coat that with more glue [I used both epoxy and PVC cement, for some reason the cement worked too]. Give it a night to dry, then test the gun. If the trigger seems weak or breaks again, add more glue and let that dry overnight. Repeat that for several days/several rounds of glue until it the trigger is rock solid. when you next test it.

Or, if you have a 2100 trigger lying around, you can replace the 4100 trigger with it. It may not fit depending on mark, so you would have to make a cut in the trigger large enough that you can slide it on, but small enough that it will stay.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:26 pm

I just got back into another fight (2 long years!) and we had a CPS 4100 snap on us (My fault I didn't reinforce it). I have the same problem, the trigger snapped exactly where Duxburian said it did. Will Gorilla Glue work? Also, how can I get it so when the two parts are glued back together, they are STRAIGHT? thanks!
:cool:
_

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:32 pm

Welcome Back, and Congrats on finally finding a war!

I would use more than just gorilla glue to be safe. Epoxy and PVC cement work, as long as there are multiple coats and/or enough epoxy. To make sure the parts are totally straight, as soon as you apply the glue, hold the parts in place for about 20 minutes so the glue partially dries with it in the position you want. Perhaps watch TV or something with the trigger in your hand. Be careful about how you set it down. Coats of glue after the first and metal strips also help the trigger stay straight.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:38 pm

Duxburian wrote:Welcome Back, and Congrats on finally finding a war!

I would use more than just gorilla glue to be safe. Epoxy and PVC cement work, as long as there are multiple coats and/or enough epoxy. To make sure the parts are totally straight, as soon as you apply the glue, hold the parts in place for about 20 minutes so the glue partially dries with it in the position you want. Perhaps watch TV or something with the trigger in your hand. Be careful about how you set it down. Coats of glue after the first and metal strips also help the trigger stay straight.
Thats if I can actually hold it still for 20-30 minutes. Think I can put it in a clamp carefully and glue?
_

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:40 pm

Yeah, but be very careful when closing the clamp. Just a tad bit too much and the trigger will come apart from the force of the clamp's sides.

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:43 pm

Duxburian wrote:Yeah, but be very careful when closing the clamp. Just a tad bit too much and the trigger will come apart from the force of the clamp's sides.
Ill run out tomorrow or something and grab a clamp at home depot. Ill do my best to make sure the trigger goes back together cleanly (Ill pick up epoxy while I am there as well). Dont you just hate the problems this monster causes? :goofy: I'm also very aware of the trigger reinforcer (metal strips) and have done it before, so that won't be a problem. *Drinks Soda to empty can*
_

avis

Post by avis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:13 pm

I almost got mine open, but the red pump cap is holding it together. Even still I can get the area around the trigger open enough to reach the trigger. My question, Does Silicon sealant work well? And also, could I get a wire and wrap it around the base of what's left of the trigger, and use that to attach the trigger instead of the aluminum strips?

avis

Post by avis » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:32 pm

Ok, I need serious help now. I want to know if it's still salvageable. I glued the trigger back on, and reinforced it with some wire. Then, I got blisters sanding out the guard so it would slide relatively smoothly. Finally I tested it after putting it all back together. I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I thought no big deal, it probably wasn't pressurized well enough. So, I pressurized it all the way, and pulled. Again Nothing :( . I tried to manually release the valve with a screwdriver by pulling on the orange horseshoe??? but that didn't work either. I can't figure out what went wrong, and my gun is stuck at full pressure. I think the problem might be that the orange horseshoe thing came undone from the valve. Does anybody have eternal pictures of a 4100, and can anybody tell me how to get the pump cap off. I think that in order to fix that, I will have to get the two halfs completely off to reach the valve.

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Sorry that I can't be more help, if anything, I'm the last person to ask about internals, but the only thing I would say is be careful toying with the internals, seeing as all that pressure is still locked inside somerwhere. You don't want it to find a way to release that ends up headed straight for your face...
:(
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!