Battle for Little Creek

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Battle for Little Creek

Post by marauder » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:31 am

This is the extent of the battlefield (defined as where we actually fought) from the first day of MOAB:
MOAB Battlefield.PNG
MOAB Battlefield.PNG (442.53 KiB) Viewed 12781 times
That's roughly 400m long (N/S) by 110 to 180m wide (E/W) depending upon where you are at.

If we go further downstream there is another huge area that we could possibly use:
Little Creek.PNG
Little Creek.PNG (558.43 KiB) Viewed 12781 times
This may be too far to walk, but I plan on exploring it once I return from Charleston. Note the differences in scale between the two map. I have included a straight line measurement for perspective.

I now have my Gorgon working and I also found an old XP 270 in excellent condition. We have a plethora of light arms but are quite lacking in the heavy department. I am not sure that I will be able to fix my CPS 2000 or MXL. Fingers crossed on that.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

*edit*

The boys and I went scouting this weekend. We didn't make it as far down as that large expanse of forest on the map, but we did see a lot of wildlife including fish and mussels (quite large). I have seen only minnows in the section of the creek above the dam. Originally I thought that this was due to sediment run off or the fact that the creek bottom is mostly sand. Now I'm thinking that it's the dam itself. Any fish upstream of the dam may have died off at some point after its construction and there is no way for the stock to be replenished naturally. Just some thoughts.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Downgrade me to a maybe at this point. A foot injury has made even walking difficult over the past few days. Thought it might go away on its own, but so far it hasn't. I'll keep you all informed.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 pm

^There was one war where I played with a pulled back muscle, haha. I did rather poorly, but I could still function.

As for this war, what sort of schedule did you have in mind? I might not be available until Saturday afternoon.

Also Chief, if you come, can you bring:

-Camo
-CPS 2000
-CPS 1500
-CPS 2700
-CPS 1200
-CPS 1021

Not sure how much room you'll have, but do the best you can, and I'll get the rest of it at the HOG.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 pm

SEAL wrote:I think a lot of the membership has been "nerfed" if you know what I mean. Ain't too many purists left.
I haven't been "nerfed" I just got distracted with LEGO, video games, and internet and didn't look at the site for two months! :goofy:

Good thing I decided to check in on things over the weekend, if it is not too late, I would like to attend. I assume it is at Marauder's house again? I'll make sure to bring more food this time and not get sick!

Guns I have working (as of testing a few months ago):
CPS 3200 (single nozzle)
CPS 2700
CPS 2500
CPS 1500
CPS 1200 (and a second one which I think is fixed just dissembled)
CPS 10K
CPS 1000
WW Gorgon
WW Vindicator x2
WW Vanquisher x2
WW Colossus
Maybe a few more I don't remember right now

SSCBen wrote:Downgrade me to a maybe at this point. A foot injury has made even walking difficult over the past few days. Thought it might go away on its own, but so far it hasn't. I'll keep you all informed.
I attended the new years war with a cold, my head was spinning like the whole time and I could barely run. In some ways my illness limited the amount of fighting we could do, so use your best judgment. You're in Maryland right? I might be able to pick you up as well.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Chief

Post by Chief » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Hey Scott did you wanna maybe car pool with me and SSCBen? (If he feels up to going). We could chip in for gas, it'd be a win win for everyone. My car's not running the best right now, I've been working on it but I'm still an bit worried about it breaking down.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 pm

I had a medical emergency from Sunday to today and am recovering food/sleep now. Won't be able to go, I'm supposed to rest and keep a strict antibiotic schedule. I definitely want to visit again, but this weekend isn't the right time.

Edit: At New Year's, I left my woodland bottoms and green+orange vest at Ben's house. Hopefully those are still around, and you are free to use them if they fit you. There are some pretty wicked thorns on that battlefield, I'd strongly recommend using camo bottoms instead of track pants. During the original battle, it was nice and cool, so I wore track pants under my camo for added protection and warmth.

Since the dam appears to lack a fish ladder or any other type of passage, it's understandable why the downstream segments are in better shape. Many sea-run fish spawn in the uppermost segments of a river/creek system, and if they can't reach their nurseries, those species will vanish entirely upstream of a dam. Atlantic salmon used to have massive runs in east coast rivers, and the industrial revolution basically killed them off. There is still a remnant run of them in the lower Housatonic, but the first major dam has no fish ladder, so they just pool there and eventually leave. Little Creek would probably be healthier without that dam, as it degrades both upstream and downstream habitat. Since it catches a lot of sediment load, the downstream segment is starved of sediment and ends up eroding its banks as a source of sediment. Unstable banks then smother vegetation and flood more. During the war, I noticed that downstream consists of a handful of stable reaches full of mussels, and the rest was lifeless sand. In a healthy and stable system, you can paddle for miles of uninterrupted mussel habitat. The 4 species I found in Little Creek were also very widespread and pollution-tolerant. The water looks clean, but...the mussel assemblage says the creek needs help. It would be very interesting to study the creek over time and see how the assemblage shifts. Does their range expand or contract? Do they appear above the dam? Do rare species start to move in? What kind of mussels a water system has, where they occur, and where they are on the move is the beating pulse of that system's water quality and future prospects. You can even track its fish population health via the mussel assemblage, as each mussel has a specific set of hosts it can utilize. If you see young mussels, live mussels, fresh dead ones, there is also a dense enough fish population in that reach that they are able to successfully reproduce. Most female mussels must catch sperm in the water stream from a male of their species, AND then literally hook/bait a fish to attach their glochodia too (they legit go fishing, some of them have lures that resemble small fish that get bit on, others attract fish with shiny or colorful lures if they live in murky water). If this is actually working out for them, that habitat is a real winner.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 am

Hey Rob, I am pretty sure I have your camo bottoms. Can you describe the vest in more detail? I will check.

Man Scott, you have a real arsenal going on!!!

If Brandon can't make it until Saturday evening we will probably be doing night fighting on Saturday night.

Unfortunately I can't play Sunday, I really wish I could. I have some family commitments, so plan accordingly. My idea for this is to have a shorter period of intense fighting, which will actually work for a 1 day (+ maybe Fri night) war. The more I think about it the more I realize how worn out everyone was on the 2nd day of MOAB. So, really this won't be much different from MOAB except that we are just recognizing that this is 1 day from the beginning.

I had planned on doing CTF and then long OHS for the rest of the day, but now I have decided to take suggestions. Danny's favorite battle type is every man for himself. Tony's favorite battle type is CTF. My favorite is probably 1hk, but we all like long OHS. So, make your suggestions please and I'll take them into consideration. I want to put together a playlist ASAP. Also gotta take into account the available weapons since some of us have no heavy blasters. Do we want to share weapons? Do we want to say you have to use your own only? Do we have weapons restrictions or do something crazy like random weapon draws or run for the boxes again? Let me know what you think!
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:34 am

Chief:
I'd be down for carpooling, it is nice to have company on a long car ride. The car I usually drive (the Volvo wagon) isn't do so good ether, but my dad said I could take the "new" (2015) Subaru he got last week, so we should be good. Was thinking if you are coming down from NY, you could pick up David at Newark station, but I just talked to him (midway through writing this) and he isn't available. I will probably try to invite a local friend, or two if SSCben can't make it. The car can fit 5 people, but it wouldn't be very comfortable on a 6 hour drive.
Would your plan be to come down Friday and switch cars or would you be staying the night Thursday? As mentioned in another thread, I am at my grandma's house, so I want to make sure I am at my parents house when you arrive.

Marauder:
That has been my experience, last year I only even planned Soakemore as a 1 day event. After a full day of fighting and some intense night wars, even the supposed "hard core" members were beat, I couldn't even get DX up to go thrifting with us until like 4pm!
As for rounds, I am open to anything so long as it is not like 3 hour long 1HK, but even the one at the first Downpour wasn't that long! Every man for himself also sounds pretty fun, a nice break from the usual 2 team stuff, though I like having 3 or 4 teams better.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (927.9 KiB) Viewed 12740 times
Tonight I'm going to explore these areas in red. They are closer to my house. The Little Creek area on the far left of the map is further downstream from where we fought. I want to check that area out eventually as well. I think I actually mentioned that previously in this post, but it is probably too far to walk for this war.

Chief

Post by Chief » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm pretty much game for whatever, but my preference lately as been objective type rounds, with an unknown location or some sort of unknown factor. As realistic as possible. Basically what we're planing on doing for the HOG. But I understand that sort of thing takes a lot of time, planing, and preparation. So if we could just get a good night round in, I'll be happy.

And thank you Scott, much appreciated! And I planed on coming down Friday, Dose that work for you? I can get a really early start, as to avoid driving at night.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Chief wrote: I'm pretty much game for whatever, but my preference lately as been objective type rounds, with an unknown location or some sort of unknown factor. As realistic as possible.

This gives me a great idea. Does anyone happen to have a waterproof camera, or maybe even a camera they wouldn't mind if it got wet? We have a great film opportunity here. The camera won't be in the middle of the action, but I'm saying just in case.

Keith, do you have any light or medium blasters?

Chief

Post by Chief » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:18 pm

I have a waterproof camera, I'll make sure to bring it.

And yes I have some XPs and other smaller guns. Do we count the Vanquisher as a medium blaster?

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 pm

I have three water proof cameras, but none of them are very good. The "best" one captures motion well, has the longest battery life, but has messed up white balance so things have a yellow tint to them. The other one is about the same size, but has more motion blur and terrible battery life. The final one is my head cam with waterproof case, maybe 30 minute battery life when filming, but can go all day on standby. 480 resolution with 30 fps though. Like I said, they are all pretty bad, but I plan to bring them just so we have options.

The Vanquisher is a weird one, it isn't powerful enough to fit in with most medium blasters, but it has too much output to be in the light category. That be said, you've held me at bay with yours when I had my 2500, so mine might just be below average performance.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:00 am

Please bring all of your cameras. We will now be fighting an objective based war, and there's one location in particular that can support multiple camera angles. My action camera doesn't have the highest fps rate either, but when it's held stationary it can capture movement pretty decently. With multiple cameras like this we are bound to get some good footage. I have learned to be realistic with things, and actually doing work seems to be the most important part of it. We can have big ideas and great equipment, but if you never actually do the work it's pointless. I plan on doing the initial edit of the video myself. Keith can compose the soundtrack and then do the final edit to match the film to the music.

Bring your Vanquisher and some XPs as well. There is a high probability that you will end up having to rely on them at some point during the war.

Our scenario revolves around a team of prisoners of war who make a jail break deep within enemy territory. They must avoid being hunted down, arm themselves, and find each other before taking down high value enemy targets in an effort to win the war from behind enemy lines. As you can guess, some will be hunters and some will be the hunted. If you're on the POW team... the unforgiving terrain and lack of initial supplies might break you down long before the enemy blasters do. The pace will be grueling, so teamwork will be essential if you have any hopes of surviving...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 am

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:I attended the new years war with a cold, my head was spinning like the whole time and I could barely run. In some ways my illness limited the amount of fighting we could do, so use your best judgment. You're in Maryland right? I might be able to pick you up as well.
I definitely do not want to be a burden to others at the war. I've decided to not attend. My foot should get back to normal in a few weeks with some stretches, but for the next week or so I'm going to limit my physical activity to cycling as that doesn't hurt my foot.

DX, hope your recovery is fast. Sounds like you've had a rough time.

For future reference, I have two ContourROAM cameras that I use for bike rides. They're both waterproof to 3 feet and can take several hours of HD video without needed to be recharged or have a memory card swapped. In a future war I'd be happy to lend one out and use the other myself.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 pm

SSCBen wrote:
scottthewaterwarrior wrote:I attended the new years war with a cold, my head was spinning like the whole time and I could barely run. In some ways my illness limited the amount of fighting we could do, so use your best judgment. You're in Maryland right? I might be able to pick you up as well.
I definitely do not want to be a burden to others at the war. I've decided to not attend. My foot should get back to normal in a few weeks with some stretches, but for the next week or so I'm going to limit my physical activity to cycling as that doesn't hurt my foot.

DX, hope your recovery is fast. Sounds like you've had a rough time.

For future reference, I have two ContourROAM cameras that I use for bike rides. They're both waterproof to 3 feet and can take several hours of HD video without needed to be recharged or have a memory card swapped. In a future war I'd be happy to lend one out and use the other myself.
Ben, it's much more important to be able to include you than to set up this war in any particular way. I already had some roles in mind for you that weren't so physically taxing.

If your foot is too injured to run around at all - I completely understand. I injured my knee one summer during my Army AIT school (the training that comes after boot camp). We were only allowed to run around the building complex unless we were with drill instructors. Since I liked to run I did this tiny little maybe .2 mile loop every day. I ran clockwise each time, which was really dumb. Anyway, I was able to graduate and then took a few weeks to heal before training for the Grandfather Mtn Marathon. Of course, I reinjured it during the marathon. I still finished, but only by galloping/hobble running and then I couldn't walk for a month afterward.

We'll try to work things around your schedule for the next war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm

What time on Saturday is this thing supposed to start? I'm not yet sure what my plan is, but I have at least one cousin interested. I don't really care what the battle's like as long as it's not lame. I'm mostly just coming to hang out.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 pm

marauder wrote:Our scenario revolves around a team of prisoners of war who make a jail break deep within enemy territory. They must avoid being hunted down, arm themselves, and find each other before taking down high value enemy targets in an effort to win the war from behind enemy lines. As you can guess, some will be hunters and some will be the hunted. If you're on the POW team... the unforgiving terrain and lack of initial supplies might break you down long before the enemy blasters do. The pace will be grueling, so teamwork will be essential if you have any hopes of surviving...
Sounds interesting, I see why you want me to bring a few XPs. Not really sure how many light weapons I have that work, actually I'm not sure any of my XPs do, but a have a lot of light Water Warriors guns too. Guess I better test things tomorrow, I'd hate to take up a bunch of car space with blasters then find out when I get there that half of them don't work. I assume fresh drinking water doesn't count as initial supplies? I plan on bringing my grandpa's old army backpack with at least a couple 2 liters in it as I usually go through most of one 2 liter even in winter wars. I should really ask him if he remembers when he got the bag, it must have been after he left the army, otherwise it would be over 50 years old!

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 am

Can everyone tell me what time they plan on arriving? That will determine our timeline.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (680.81 KiB) Viewed 12700 times
I checked out the area in red last night. We could possibly use the pine forest and high grass (circled in yellow) for night fighting.

The lowlands around Cooper Branch are very thick and could be a good battlefield for future wars, but right now it's just too thick. This is within walking distance from my house, so it would be really handy to have as a possible battleground in the future. This would be an area that Rob would probably want to scout out, along with anyone else who's interested in wildlife. I went right as the sun was setting and it was dark down in the flood plain. There was a cacophony of animal sounds, from insects to owls to frogs and what even sounded like hogs. That latter part was probably just an adjacent farm, but it was kind of creepy.

I'm thinking about getting hot dogs and smores to cook over a fire. Scott, is there anything vegetarian you can cook over fire or anything you like to eat?

Chief

Post by Chief » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 am

marauder wrote:We will now be fighting an objective based war
Yes! I like where this is going.

And If I leave early, (Which I definitely will.) and if we leave Scott's house shortly after I get there, then we should arrive late, I'm guessing around 7-9. But don't plan anything serious around that. I'm horrible at judging time.

Scott, can you please PM me your phone number and address? I'll then be able to get direction and let you know when I will be arriving.