Frozen Fury/or other War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Frozen Fury/or other War

Post by marauder » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Tiffany and I have decided to spend a week apart each year with our friends. Her best friend gave us three dates that she has off and can visit. I plan on spending that time with you all... If you're interested. Here are the dates -

December 26-Jan 6th off, Jan 16th for a long weekend, and April 3-7th

I propose a war up north over some time during the first period. Everyone will be out of school and I'll be having MOAB in the spring anyway. We could do it really big (and really cold).

If Ff doesn't work, I propose we do something extreme like go hike the Presidential Range with blasters, or go fight somewhere in the adarondacks or remote Maine somewhere. I have a lot of camping supplies and we can stay at a hotel one day if need be.

Let's do this.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Re: Frozen Fury/or other War

Post by HBWW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:21 pm

I expect a busy winter as well. I'll probably be taking a week off in addition to the week the office is closed. I started this year with some east coast adventuring and that's how it'll end!

Frozen Fury will likely be accompanied by some nerf as well, and we sometimes drag the SEALs along. It's still early though, and we can figure something out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:37 pm

marauder wrote:Let's do this.
Definitely! I'm looking forward to doing something.

I now have more info about my availability. I should be back in Maryland from around December 10th to January 8th. My car is on the West coast for the time being but I should be able to borrow a car from my parents to get to events like this.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks for trying to organize this, marauder. The first dates you gave can work, but I'm not much interested in winter wars, or camping. If it's close to my parents then I might drop by, but not for more than a day. I mostly intend to catch up with people I know and run some errands I can't do in Texas during the break.

Edit: I hope this doesn't discourage you all from running a war then. I'm just not too keen on winter wars.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 am

SSCBen wrote:Thanks for trying to organize this, marauder. The first dates you gave can work, but I'm not much interested in winter wars, or camping. If it's close to my parents then I might drop by, but not for more than a day. I mostly intend to catch up with people I know and run some errands I can't do in Texas during the break.

Edit: I hope this doesn't discourage you all from running a war then. I'm just not too keen on winter wars.
Would you be interested in hanging out and filming? We could get a lot done with avdesignated cameraman.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:39 am

I'm down. I'd only want to do FF if we can find good abandoned buildings. Otherwise, hiking sounds good. I went backpacking in the Adirondacks about a month ago and that was lots of fun. However doing that in the winter requires a lot more gear to lug around, which is why I usually prefer to hike in warmer months.

Also, hiking with blasters in the winter would actually be very impractical, and it might be hard to find a good spot to fight, especially considering how deep the snow gets at high elevations. If we decide to go hiking or backpacking, it would probably be better not to bring blasters at all. If we want to fight, I'd suggest doing something different (perhaps in addition to the hike).

We could also do a weeklong road trip along the east coast (well, part of it), hitting up the best places to fight, hike, explore, etc. That would be sick.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:12 pm

We could alternately camp+fight somewhere warm(er). There are some good places in the Carolinas, or dare I suggest Georgia, Florida, or Tennessee.

I don't always have the ability to travel wherever, so, now that I do, I brought up holding this up north.

We could, perhaps, split the difference and go toone or more venues closer to our traditional venues, e.g. Conn and NY. I am willing to camp out if anyone wants to join me. Or we could get a cabin.We could try to find something new and slightly remote, but still not too far from everyone. Does that sound like a good compromise?

DX

Post by DX » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Would you be interested if we have another warm winter? Christmas Eve last year was in the 70s. Christmas Eve was warmer than it is right now.

If we want to have a real Frozen Fury, we can totally do something unusual and epic. However, road trips need a Plan B in case of heavy snowfall. Late Dec-early Jan is when that nor'easter machine really starts to crank up. I'm thinking we could incorporate snow into the war - build some fortifications if it's wet snow, and set up the mobstacles as well. Do this at night and we can have a small battle space that is still really fun.

One of the things I'd really like to do with you guys is city hop. Explore a different city each day, fight in one of its parks, go out for dinner somewhere new. It would be awesome to have blaster selfies in front of a variety of different landmarks and then put them all together. The northeast is compact enough to return here or wherever else at night. Course, that's a different type of trip than camping and hiking in the mountains, though. Harriman State Park is an option with mountains that are closer (read:warmer). Maine is a really cool state, but should be treated like Canada in winter. Downeast Maine's coast has endless rock formations that would be cool to fight on.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 pm

The city hopping idea is certainly interesting. I would prefer to hike and camp and fight, but share your concerns about the weather. If it happens to be in the 60s, that's not an issue to me. Cold and snow aren't a big deal, but my concern is black ice, slippery rocks, and everything being too white to really hide (read: evergreen battlefields are good).

Since this will be a multi day event, I think it'd be a good idea to hold it somewhere we can all stay. I like the idea of camping/staying in a cabin. It'd be cheaper than staying in hotels, unless we are willing to do 4 to a room, and, oh yea, I really want to do some outdoorsy stuff.

My first recommendation is Mountain Vista Campground in East Stroudsburg, PA. It's $88 to $128 a night for a cabin and less for tent camping. That's about only $20 a night for a cabin with amenities based on only 5 ppl. It's only 2 and a half hours from both Redding and W Hurley. There are a number of parks/forests located nearby and it's in the Poconos.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:13 pm

marauder wrote:Would you be interested in hanging out and filming? We could get a lot done with a designated cameraman.
This is a good idea. The answer is that it depends. After some specific plans are drawn up, I could see if I'm interested.
Duxburian wrote:Would you be interested if we have another warm winter? Christmas Eve last year was in the 70s. Christmas Eve was warmer than it is right now.
That would be okay, but it's hard to know what the weather will be like in 3+ months. I'll be around, and might decide to attend if the weather is good.
marauder wrote:Since this will be a multi day event, I think it'd be a good idea to hold it somewhere we can all stay. I like the idea of camping/staying in a cabin. It'd be cheaper than staying in hotels, unless we are willing to do 4 to a room, and, oh yea, I really want to do some outdoorsy stuff.

My first recommendation is Mountain Vista Campground in East Stroudsburg, PA. It's $88 to $128 a night for a cabin and less for tent camping. That's about only $20 a night for a cabin with amenities based on only 5 ppl. It's only 2 and a half hours from both Redding and W Hurley. There are a number of parks/forests located nearby and it's in the Poconos.
Good idea. A cabin with running water and a real bathroom would be much preferred for me to traditional camping.

After my last camping trip with the Boy Scouts, I realized that I never once found camping to be even slightly enjoyable, and almost always found camping to be miserable. At some point I decided that I'm never going camping again if I can manage it. I'm not trying to be hard here. After probably over a months' worth of overnight stays in a wide variety of different situations (cold, warm, dry, wet, hiking, no hiking, remote, not remote, you name it, I've probably done it) and with different people, I came to the simple conclusion that I don't enjoy camping. Hate is a strong word, but it might be appropriate. To be completely honest, some people in the scouts gave me crap about not enjoying camping, as if something is wrong with me for it, and to that I say "to each their own".

Cabin type things are a lot better, but I still generally don't enjoy it for its own sake.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm

SSCBen wrote:
marauder wrote:Would you be interested in hanging out and filming? We could get a lot done with a designated cameraman.
This is a good idea. The answer is that it depends. After some specific plans are drawn up, I could see if I'm interested.
You said that you wanted to push for more activity in 2017. This could be the first real action toward that. You can help film a short action style movie or intro we can use in advertising. We specifically need you and or your brother because we need the homemade to be front and center in this.

I'll bring my computer and work on the video editing in the evening at the cabin. We can discuss further actions, like the big NYC war, plus casual meet ups, in person so we have real plans. We do it in PA, that's only a state away from you. If it's too cold you don't have to stay, but, at least wed get to hang out for one day and we'd get footage of the launchers which I'll make a video with. That's my proposal to you. Let me know what else you need.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:35 pm

marauder, I really appreciate the thought you've put into this. I suppose I gave up too easily.

That sounds reasonable. I'd definitely be interested in meeting to discuss increasing activity next year. We should first have a clear idea if what needs to be done. We also could some sort of video chat or whatnot first or in addition to this to get as much figured out as possible.

One problem: I very strongly doubt I'll have a new homemade by then. I already have too much on my plate and don't think I'll get around to building anything new until spring.

I also am skeptical of the advertising value of a winter war. I don't think this will appeal to too many people, but I think it would be reasonable practice for future wars that probably would be more appealing.

So, I am not committed yet as something could come up preventing my participation, but you certainly have my interest. I'll keep an eye out for more specifics like the particular date.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:24 pm

I didn't mean makea homemade, I just assumed that either you or Andrew would have one already made. People like to see those. The video idea isn't to make another frozen fury war video - although I'd personally like that. The idea is to make a short video showing homemads, ambushes, whatever we think would attract people. It doesn'thave to be a stand alone video, it could be usedas part o a standardized intro or intro to reviews, homemadess, and how to - which I believe will draw the most viewers. The idea is to link those more popular topics to waterwarfare itself, the action.

I want to use a new super soaker review in February to draw in the viewers and then release the videos we make over the winter after that to or around the same time to drum up more interest.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 pm

I could bring Riptide should I come. Right now, it needs to have its pump replaced, but that's an easy fix. I don't think it will perform that well, but it will work.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:26 am

Ah, I misunderstood. I don't think I have anything other than an APH right now, which should be okay. You have some other good ideas for videos as well. Might be worth making a separate thread for video planning.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:46 pm

I have a CPH and APH, although the CPH is currently disassembled for whatever reasons. (I think I was borrowing the bladder to test some nerf stuff.) There's also the LPD which should be working in theory but has weird issues I can't figure out. This is the LPD that I got from SSCBen from the review contest, but has seen some various overhauls. In addition, the water portion of the LPD can detach and function alone as a small version of the SuperCannon II, which works quite well and has nice range. (About 1-2m past CPS 2000 range.) I also have a 2" piston pumper that was converted to a vertical air pressure cannon which I test-fired at Soakemore 2016. It's very awkward to handle.

I also have 3 WBL's and 2 bike pumps. One of the launchers might be short a Schrader Valve.

In short, if I bring my entire homemades collection, it'll take a ton of space and a long time. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to pick, probably need to go by combat effectiveness, but turns out DX's simple APWC seems to do better on the field than any of my cannons.

Water cannons are a strange niche, although they do have a lot more battle effectiveness than a WBL. Still, it seems like a Stream Machine could do the job almost as well for much less weight and space needed.

Do you think we should focus on battle practical homemades, or just not care and just get some footage in place?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 pm

^ This really depends on what kind of winter starts trending. WBLs and cannons made of 3" or larger PVC should not be used in lower temperatures. The average *high* temp in Connecticut in December is around 40-42 degrees - that's already too low for repeated operation of those things, imo. My personal cutoff for using large diameter PVC is 53 degrees. Of course, we can do the event elsewhere, although all those mountains mentioned - Poconos, Adirondacks, Presidential Range - are often substantially colder than CT (Presidential can get snow in any month).
Note that the Presidential Range is also one of the windiest places on earth, up to 231 MPH at Mt. Wash. There are people who come from around the world just to see that, but honestly, hiking in Antarctica-force winds doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

We need to plan for nights - low temps are ultimately what matters most. You can bundle up and shrug off cold highs, but tent camping really needs temperatures above freezing. I open air camped in Maine at 32 degrees, and it was bone-chilling stuff. My sleeping bag says that it's rated down to 20 degrees, but it couldn't really handle 32. It wouldn't be that bad if you are adjusted to the season, but this was early October, I was still used to 60s and 70s. A cabin with heat or a fireplace would be better.

Again, I think we should make multiple versions of this event, so the weather doesn't kill our only plan. Last year was a top 10 warmest winter, but 2 years ago was THE coldest winter in centuries. 2 years ago was also the snowiest winter in history, we completely obliterated the previous record in just 3 weeks, a span that started at the beginning of Jan. Meanwhile, most places south of New England, as close as NYC, had mostly bare ground. Point is, I have no idea what this winter is going to do. It could be 72 degrees on Christmas Eve, or we could get 7ft of snow in 3 weeks. Currently, the very long range forecast is for well-above ave temps until Nov, then below ave temps in Dec.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Having multiple plans s a good idea.

What's the furthest south everyone would be willin to travel?

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:58 pm

After talking to Daniel, he suggested we all meet up in MD. We won't have to worry about the weather as much, but it won't be a far trip for most of us.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:41 pm

I would come down to MD, but I'm not sure how long I'd be able to stay. The weather would be much more favorable, but it would cost substantially more. I have wild swings in income and no more savings, so we'll see what happens by December.