Frozen Fury/or other War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Frozen Fury/or other War

Post by SEAL » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:50 am

But aren't we still doing a meetup in MD as well? I'd suggest PA. It's farther north, but if marauder is willing to go to Maine, it shouldn't be a problem. PA actually has a lot of sweet abandoned places. It has an abandoned highway with tunnels, a ghost town, and a ridiculously awesome blast furnace complex, to name a few. It's also a very rural state, so we could still do wilderness hiking/fighting if people want.

I think we should start a group chat. We haven't had one in like forever, and we could use it to plan events. I know some of you don't use Facebook, but I have Skype and Discord accounts as well. AIM doesn't seem to work on my computer anymore, but last I checked, I could still use it if I went to their website. I'm free to chat most evenings.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm on Discord much of the day. Discord has swept away Skype in most circles, it's amazing how fast that transition happened.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:36 pm

So, the long range forecast is for a cold winter. Tomorrow night will be our first frost if not freeze, so it's already coming and it's only mid-October. We can still go to like Maine, NH, upstate NY or wherever, but I have a feeling that it'll be full-on winter up there by early Jan. Keep in mind that those places are 4-6 hours and several growing zones north of me, lol. Those mountains started seeing snow in September.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:37 am

Sorry to hear about the weather. Where are you getting the long range forecast? NWS? I'd guess it's too early to call anything very definitively, but I could be wrong.

Texas still seems like summer... but then again, summers here are basically the worst days on the east coast stretched out over 4 months. I can handle cold but not extreme hot.

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:26 am

Texas, extreme hot? Maybe just hot with extreme humidity. AZ is extreme hot. It's still 95 today (low of 60), which is just beautiful!

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:41 pm

If expenses are an issue we should look at locations where we can crash at people's houses and or camp. For future reference, Tiffany has said it's ok for people to stay at our house. We have much more space than at my dad's. That would be for the Spring though, as her best friend will be visiting, and it looks like people aren't looking to drive to NC this fall/winter.

Would anyone up north be willing to offer a place to stay? Or is anyone interested in camping?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:27 pm

You guys can stay here if you want, haha. But I have a small apartment so I doubt more than like four guests could stay here and be comfortable. That and there isn't a whole lot to do here, unless you want to get trashed, haha. One thing I want to do is have a night war on campus. Over winter break there is absolutely nobody around at night, leaving a huge fighting space open for us, much of which is really awesome. Of course, snow and low temperatures will likely be an issue, even though they weren't last year. It's still really cool to think about.

I still like PA for war locations. It's kind of in the middle for most members and it has lots of interesting places. I'm pretty close to northern PA, so if we do something there I could provide a place to stay, but again my place is pretty small. Otherwise I'm down to camp, although it's not that much fun in the winter.

Are we still doing some kind of meetup around MD/VA this fall? Or are we just going straight to Frozen Fury/whatever? Something in between would be nice, although FF season is rapidly approaching already. Kinda sucks that we had no wars over the summer.

Haha, when I was in AZ (in late September 2011) the temperature inside the car one time was 138. But it's so dry there that it really isn't so bad. I'd rather have 100 degree dry heat than 80 and humid. I'm definitely a cold weather person though. 50s and 60s is perfect for me.

I've started opening Discord in the evenings, so if enough of you get on there we could throw ideas around more quickly.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:07 pm

TylerK wrote:Texas, extreme hot? Maybe just hot with extreme humidity. AZ is extreme hot. It's still 95 today (low of 60), which is just beautiful!
I see your point. The humidity depends on how close you are to the coast. Here in Austin near the center of Texas the humidity can vary a lot. Houston is a swamp. West Texas is probably pretty close to Arizona.
marauder wrote:Would anyone up north be willing to offer a place to stay? Or is anyone interested in camping?
I don't think my parents would be interesting at all in having others over.
SEAL wrote:Are we still doing some kind of meetup around MD/VA this fall?
I'm still interested, but the window is rapidly closing due to the weather getting colder and plane tickets increasing in price on short notice.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:06 am

SEAL wrote:You guys can stay here if you want, haha. But I have a small apartment so I doubt more than like four guests could stay here and be comfortable. That and there isn't a whole lot to do here, unless you want to get trashed, haha. One thing I want to do is have a night war on campus. Over winter break there is absolutely nobody around at night, leaving a huge fighting space open for us, much of which is really awesome. Of course, snow and low temperatures will likely be an issue, even though they weren't last year. It's still really cool to think about.

I still like PA for war locations. It's kind of in the middle for most members and it has lots of interesting places. I'm pretty close to northern PA, so if we do something there I could provide a place to stay, but again my place is pretty small. Otherwise I'm down to camp, although it's not that much fun in the winter.

Are we still doing some kind of meetup around MD/VA this fall? Or are we just going straight to Frozen Fury/whatever? Something in between would be nice, although FF season is rapidly approaching already. Kinda sucks that we had no wars over the summer.

I would not be opposed to staying at your apartment. I am still open to camping/a cabin rental, but it sounds like cost and accessibility are real concerns. We need a roll call from everyone who hopes to attend, with commentary on lodging and whether or not $ will be an issue. If we do end up staying in Binghamton I would speak with the campus police about playing a game on campus (make it sound as innocent as possible). That could be very fun. I do not expect Pennsylvania to be much warmer than Binghamton, but then again, everything north of MD is cold to me so...
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:07 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure I could pay for a cabin. Basically all my money goes toward food at the moment. I probably have enough extra for a trip to say, DC, but things are pretty difficult for me right now. Camping would be more doable, though weather is a concern. I've actually never camped in the snow before.

The main reason I suggested PA was because of all the cool locations (look up Centralia or the abandoned turnpike), not so much because it'd be warmer. It's probably still better than New England though. And yeah, I'll definitely talk to the campus cops about possibly holding a war up here. I know they do HvZ with Nerf guns here, so I don't see why they'd have a problem with water guns, but authority can be unreasonable sometimes. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what we'd do. There's a really cool hiking area through what used to be an old brickyard, but I'm guessing there won't be anywhere to hide in the winter.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Could you take some pictures of where we would fight in Binghamton. I would prefer a really cool battlefield, but if lodging and $ are a defining factor it might just be better to adjust our expectations and have as much fun as possible by not having to worry about things like people not wanting to camp out (Ben), or getting too cold or wet too far from shelter. We want everyone to have as much fun as possible and to maximize attendance.

I don't want to volunteer your place, that's up to you. Only saying that people already stated money and shelter were issues I'm thinking up ideas.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Camping would be more doable, though weather is a concern. I've actually never camped in the snow before.
Are people actually prepared for winter camping conditions? You've got a low temp rated sleeping bag (my 20 degree bag does not cut it), low profile tent, high boots, etc.? If not, we should probably nix the mountains. I mean, look at the weekly forecast for the Presidential Range - Up to a foot of snow with hurricane-force winds 75+ and air temps falling into the teens (those will be deeply negative wind chills). It's October. Do you think you can handle what the mountains could throw at you in January? The Adironacks are also forecast to receive around a foot of snow next week, snow could fall east of Binghamton as well.

I definitely vote for not camping if this is going to be the trend. NWS is still saying above average temps until Nov, then the bottom falls out. Usually, when temps are below average on the east coast, the jet stream pattern is a trough that steers lows from Canada, down through the midwest or upper south, and then drives them up along the coast, which causes them to bomb out into strong nor'easters. It's usually a very stormy and snowy pattern, you don't typically get cold without snow here. Binghamton, SE PA, and anywhere interior is looking best.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:50 pm

This is SEAL coming back to camp after the rest of his team have been killed off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q00aM_K6jkQ

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 pm

marauder wrote:Could you take some pictures of where we would fight in Binghamton.
Well if the night war idea works out, then the battleground would simply be the whole campus. You can find maps and pictures and stuff online. If that falls through the next best place would be the brickyard. I can try to go there to take pictures after my surgical wound heals enough.

Of course, my place is pretty close to Pennsylvania, so you could stay here for any wars in northern PA as well. I'm fine with everyone staying over, but it might get cramped if there are a good number of us.

I think the mountains would be better saved for the summer. If camping in winter conditions sucks so much, forget about actually fighting. I vote to stick with Frozen Fury or some other variant. It could still be a unique and awesome experience. I'll try to look for good locations when I'm not busy.
marauder wrote:This is SEAL coming back to camp after the rest of his team have been killed off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q00aM_K6jkQ
Yeah, while all y'all dead of hypothermia, the hardiest of the group survives.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:23 pm

First snowfall of the season! It wasn't much, but it's October lol.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:38 am

Duxburian wrote:First snowfall of the season! It wasn't much, but it's October lol.
Dude, we are going to have an 80 degree weekend. That, in and of itself is not unusual for October, but the fact that we haven't had frost yet is. It would be foolish to come to any conclusions on global warming based on my limited experiences, and I'm not sure what everyone's opinions are, but the past 2 years have had me more seriously considering that it is a serious issue. FWIW the leaves have also been turning colors later. I remember how we used to have a decent smattering of yellow back in September, and then by Halloween we were at peak foliage. Right now I would guess that we have just reached 40%.

BTW, I almost voted for you for "commissioner of water, aquatic, and forest resources" or something like that lol. Tiffany wrote in Daniel's name. I am ashamed to say that I didn't write down my research on all the local candidates like I wanted to so I wasn't sure to vote for on that, but considering I work so far away I wanted to early vote just to make sure I didn't get back to Clayton too late on election day.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Make sure that you've read your state's rules on write-in eligibility. In some states, you can write in any name at all, in others, the name must be someone who has registered their candidacy with the secretary of state (and for whatever reason does not appear on the ballot). In a state that requires formal candidacy, writing in an unregistered name may cause the entire ballot to be rejected as spoiled/not counted. This is one of those things where states' rights get a bit annoying, it would be better to have unified rules on voting procedures, IMO.

I've also noticed the leaves going much later than I'm used to. Part of it, though, has been several record hot Septembers and drought. They might change on the usual schedule in a more typical weather pattern, I don't know for sure. There's been a lot of chatter about climate change when we have 70 degree Christmas days and then head into -30 degree polar vortexes, and a season with only 9 inches of snow followed by a season with 7 feet of snow in 3 weeks. Winter has been unusually extreme in both directions.

The thing with climate change is that earth's climate has no status quo...it's always trending in one direction or another. It never just parks itself in one spot indefinitely for humans to enjoy. However, some of the forces that impact climate occur on 20,000 or 100,000 year cycles, so we perceive the climate as stable. The debate should be about whether anthropologic activity makes the natural process worse, not about whether it is happening or not. Even if one finds that humans accelerate climate change, there are a lot of problems when it comes to trying to "fix" this.

Take air pollution, for example. We are losing the ozone layer that shields us from harmful radiation. The damage being done to the ozone layer today is mostly from the late 1950s, due to how long it takes for this stuff to reach the outer portions of the earth. Peak air pollution was in the 1970s and 1980s, that won't hit the ozone layer for decades. We've since reduced and better regulated harmful crap like CFCs (this is why you can't just recycle an old fridge the routine way), but the impacts won't be felt for like 50 years. Likewise, arctic and antarctic ice is already melting at a faster pace than anticipated. "20% reduction in CO2 by 2050" politician gestures will not stop ice loss. I'm not sure if it can be realistically slowed down by anything we do now. It would take coordinated, all-out all-country measures to even make a dent in any of this, and the climate will still move naturally. As a huge nature fan, I've become pretty nihilistic about climate measures, it's never anywhere near enough or in time. The time to act has passed us by.

In the short run, climate change is mostly an issue in the most vulnerable places. The Florida Everglades are rapidly becoming a salt marsh. Over-population in South Florida has resulted in too many wells being drilled and too much freshwater removal, which invites saltwater intrusion. That plus rising sea level will kill off the Everglades' freshwater communities in one sudden swoop. Freshwater ecosystems readily collapse when invaded by even very mild saltwater. Another place that will be gone soon is the Great Barrier Reef. Around 40% of the northern half of the reef was destroyed just recently, coral bleaching. The southern half is still ok, for now.

In the long run, the future of places like NOLA is in question. As a river enthusiast, I hate the approach LA has taken with its levee system. If you have a large, high silt river, surrounded by flood plains, levees are one of the worst ways to manage it. Normally, these rivers flood and deposit sediment on the flood plains. This sediment builds up the level of the land against the river and is extremely fertile. You often see farms along rivers for this reason, plus ease of irrigation. Levees force the river to deposit sediment in its banks, raising the level of the river against the land. As the river rises, you have to build higher levees. Instead of having frequent, minor flooding, you get infrequent, catastrophic flooding. Eventually, the river bed will be situated above the level of the land, so when a levee fails and the land floods, the water cannot drain back into the river. This happens along China's Yellow River, it can take years for the floodwater to evaporate. With LA, the sediment deposits also build up the brackish marshes at the mouth of the Mississippi. These marshes are fantastic at absorbing hurricane energy, keeping New Orleans safe from waves and storm surge. Without a steady diet of sediment, these marshes are eroded by the sea, currently at a rate of about a football field an hour. Eventually, New Orleans may sit on the waterfront, to be destroyed by the next major hurricane. The US Gulf Coast has the highest storm surges in the world, and there'll be nothing left to stop them from entering the city directly. Even with climate change, this is something totally within human control to fix. Without levees, marshes can feed off the sediment flows and rise with the sea.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Hey guys, we should start planning something. What dates work for everyone? Thanksgiving weekend has been used often in the past for FF, but that's kind of short notice and I will likely have other stuff going on then anyway. I know sometime around Christmas was mentioned before, and that will probably work for me.

As for where to do it, as I've said you're welcome to come here. Things have been quite crazy for me lately and I haven't been able to do any scouting, but I do have several potential locations, including a huge industrial complex, an insane asylum, and other abandoned places I still need to look into. Alternatively there is a hiking area called the Brickyard that's pretty cool, but not as exciting obviously. We could do night wars on campus, which is ginormous and offers lots of interesting features. In addition to that, we'd be close to PA which has quite a few sweet locations as well.

If anyone else has any ideas and is willing to host, let us know. What we need now is a date and location(s), then we can come up with a schedule of events and make this happen. It's been too long!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~