Meet Ups in VA and MD

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: Meet Ups in VA and MD

Post by DX » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:21 pm

The reeds should still be up into at least mid-October. Danbury Greenway's reeds last that long, and Danbury is one growing zone north of Ridgewood. If this fall is really hot like predicted, they'll last longer. They wouldn't be as full or as tall as summer, but they'd be up. Then again, NJ doesn't need to happen this year, it could be placed into next year's lineup.

Meeting every month might be difficult to pull-off. We are as far-flung as ever.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 pm

I am not available October 15 and November 19th as one of the classes I am taking this semester requires that I take exams those weekends. I will also be busy November 12 and 13 as I have a LEGO train display. Under no circumstances can I reschedule the exams, and I'd rather not bail on the LEGO thing as it is the only display I can make for months (the other displays being same days as those exams).

It is too bad Ridgewood isn't closer to Atlantic City, my aunt has a beach house in Ventnor that we could stay at.

As for scouting areas around here, I still really want to give Blockhouse Point another go, probably soon, before the underbrush dies out. Might be able to check out Gathland State park too, as I agree it looks quite nice, but that is a much longer trip. Another possibility for a meetup area is my uncle's farmhouse in Unionville, VA. The underbrush is the super thick unpassable kind in the summer, but it might work in the winter if most of it dies out. The bonus being that we could also sleep there. As for portables, of the ones we explored, there was only one other school that would be at all worth while. There were some in Virginia that we only looked at on google maps - more things to scout!

I will have to see how much I can do, it is difficult to think about any meetups right now, as I am still getting used to the workload from taking three classes. I will probably have a better handle on things in another week and can do some scouting around here.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Even if we don't do monthly meetups, it would still probably be a good idea to get together more often. This year has been quite dead compared to others. Soakemore has been the only community get-together so far, right? I get that people have responsibilities and stuff, but I'm pretty sure it was like that before as well, and we still had a good amount of activity.

Also, kinda-sorta off topic, but there is going to be a solar eclipse visible in the western tip of NC and a good chunk of SC, in the afternoon of August 21st next year. Would be pretty sweet to hold an event around that. Maybe even have a battle during the eclipse, although it will only last for like two and a half minutes. I really want to see a solar eclipse, and the next one that occurs nearby isn't until like 2024 or something.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:13 am

SEAL wrote:Also, kinda-sorta off topic, but there is going to be a solar eclipse visible in the western tip of NC and a good chunk of SC, in the afternoon of August 21st next year. Would be pretty sweet to hold an event around that. Maybe even have a battle during the eclipse, although it will only last for like two and a half minutes. I really want to see a solar eclipse, and the next one that occurs nearby isn't until like 2024 or something.
Well, we certainly have enough notice to plan something. I know the Carolinas pretty well. We could go to a campground somewhere. I know of a few good ones, but I'm not sure how they're suited to water warfare, I'll have to go back and look.

People did have constraints before, but I think this year it's more serious. I wasn't married until Spring '13. For a little stretch I didn't have as many Army demands. I'm working an hour and a half away for my civilian job, and my Army job is 5 hours away from that. So, right now, I need to fix that, because that's not good in any aspect. The Tretels weren't in Texas/California. Scott's class schedule wasn't as intense? Keith wasn't playing college ball. Rob's agoraphobia wasn't acting up as much.

That doesn't mean I don't want to meet up every month, or close to that, I do. We just have to decide that if only 4-5 of us can get together that it's still worth it.

With that in mind, let's try to get some definite on the Maryland trip. I will talk to Tiffany. Everyone else, let's see if we can get some commits. Baltimore might be the best bet, since it increases the likelihood that Nick and Black 6 can come. We wouldn't actually play in Bmore, but we would meet up and go somewhere nearby.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Some potential travel plans to help war planning next year:

- Will be in MD some time from late December to early January.

- My planned class schedule for the spring semester is Tu/Thu. I will not be certain what my teaching obligations will look like, but I intend to keep them focused at the beginning of the week.

- My spring break is March 13-18. I intend to go to things in Houston on the 11th and 18th, but am available between those dates.

- I might attend a conference in NJ on April 6-8, 2017. Low probability I will attend this, but if there's a war then the probability increases, maybe a lot.

- I am likely to attend a conference in Atlanta on May 15-18, 2017. I probably could get most of my travel covered by my university for this.

- Work for summer 2017 is unclear. I might be in MD. If I am then the Atlanta conference might not be covered, but I still am likely to attend. It will cut into my travel budget, however.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:12 pm

I will be going to MD sometime in Dec to spend time with Nick (Belisaurius). Will anyone else be around in Dec?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah, after finals week, which ends on the 16th. Might be down to meet up. Haven't seen any of you in like half a year. What did you have in mind?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:25 am

Nick was going to teach me ARCGIS and we were going to hang out in Baltimore at his place, but I would love to see the rest of y'all too.

This, of course, also depends on my job situation. I'm applying/interviewing for closer employment, and sometimes with new jobs they don't let you take time off until after a few months. But I think it should be fine.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm definitely going to be back in Maryland for most of December, but I don't know exactly when I'll get there. It looks like the one final I'll have is going to be re-scheduled, so I don't know when it will be. Still, I should be in Maryland from December 15 to 31 at least.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 pm

I'll be working near Baltimore this summer and would be interested in running at least one war near there. I probably can't do anything on Friday due to work, but Saturday and Sunday should be good. I hope to spend at least a week at my parents' before my job this summer working on a new homemade water gun, so that gun may debut at this war.

Let's avoid the weekend of Aug. 5 as that's when the Nerf Apocalypse war is scheduled this year. The weekends of June 24 and July 1 are also out for me. There also is a conference I'd like to attend from June 2-4, but I have tentatively decided against attending as I don't think I can afford it, and I won't be able to attend it all.

Using the HOG poll as a guide, I think some candidate weekends are:

June 17-18
July 15-16
Aug. 12-13 (conflicts with proposed HOG war, so probably not good)

How do these dates look for you all?

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 am

All of those dates are good by me. Nick (Belisaurius) is in BMore. Would be nice to see him come out.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:55 am

Really glad to hear it. I'll try to do at least 2 wars if you all could make them. Now we need a venue...

I just emailed Nick about what neighborhoods I should consider living in this summer. I included a link to this thread so he could give some feedback on the dates. He might have some ideas about venue too.

Black Six lives nearby too. We should figure out who else is in the area and see what they think about the dates and a venue.

I'm also thinking about trying to get some Nerfers involved to increase attendance and maybe recruit interesting folks to the hobby. I've had no success at this before, but it's worth a shot.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 am

I've been busy the past few weeks wrapping up my semester and preparing for my summer internship, which starts this Thursday. This weekend I'll start looking through parks around Baltimore. Harford and Baltimore counties probably would be best. If anyone has the time to look online to help me out, I'd be appreciative.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 pm

I am going to be in Herdon, VA around the time frame of Jan 7-14 to attend Awesome Games Done Quick. I'm still working out a lot of details, but will likely be looking to wring together a Nerf/water war or see if Scott or whoever else can host. The logistics will take some time to work out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Sounds good. I might be in Maryland around then too and would be interested. Maybe not in a water war as I don't see the point of winter wars, but I might go anyway.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:16 pm

SSCBen wrote:Maybe not in a water war as I don't see the point of winter wars, but I might go anyway.
Man this guy! Having fought in sub-freezing conditions before, I can say that I've still gotten sweaty just from all the running around. It's really not as bad as you'd think. The only bad part is that there isn't much vegetation, so you'd have to stick to more urban battlefields or places that still retain some kind of concealment.

I might be down for some kinda battle up there (feels weird to say "up there", haha). Not interested in nerf, but a Frozen Fury-type event with epic abandoned buildings would certainly pique my interest.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~