Meet Ups in VA and MD

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Meet Ups in VA and MD

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Soakermore was a huge success for me. I know that I didn't stay overnight, but if it had been held any further north I probably wouldn't have been able to make it.

I want to see if Scott, the Trettels, Nick, and anyone else in the area, would be willing to meet halfway, say around Richmond. This would be a very easy day trip that we could do every so often. Even if only one of you can meet up, that's still 2 on 2 and we can hang out.

I also think that MD is a good central location for the community now. I am postponing MOAB because I want to have a real hardcore war and do it right, and the best date to do that is when both SEAL and Rob won't be able to make it. Alternately, I'd like to propose that we all meet up in MD, especially if the Trettels will be home. We could even talk to Nick about having it somewhere near Baltimore if that gets him involved and makes the driving easier on people coming from NY/NE.

What do y'all think?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Drenchenator

Re: Meet Ups in VA and MD

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 pm

This sounds like an excellent plan. I'm willing to meet midway somewhere in Virginia. I'll be back in MD for Christmas this year and spring break next year (sometime around March 24 to April 3, maybe a few days earlier depending on finals). I may or may not be in MD for the summer; I won't know until spring next year.

I'm trying to think of a venue in MD, though, and I'm sorta drawing a blank, though I never really looked into the matter. We'd probably like it closer to major highways and not too out of the way, so that probably means somewhere in Montgomery, Prince George's, or Howard counties. Somewhere in Baltimore County could do but I'm not at all familiar with it.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 am

I'm up for anything if available, but my ability to drive down to MD is kind of limited at the moment. Working on getting back into shape, which will fix most of those issues, but that will take a while. There's only one place I can currently cross the Hudson and only one place I can cross the Susquehanna, so that makes it take about 6 hours (without any traffic) to reach Baltimore. Time and distance are of no concern, though, only money and anxiety. It would be great to see Nick again, Baltimore area would be great.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 am

Duxburian wrote:I'm up for anything if available, but my ability to drive down to MD is kind of limited at the moment. Working on getting back into shape, which will fix most of those issues, but that will take a while. There's only one place I can currently cross the Hudson and only one place I can cross the Susquehanna, so that makes it take about 6 hours (without any traffic) to reach Baltimore. Time and distance are of no concern, though, only money and anxiety. It would be great to see Nick again, Baltimore area would be great.
Have you thought about just flying? We could put in money and split the cost with you. Would probably end up actually being cheaper than driving.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 am

VA and MD are good for me. I might visit my parents sometime this fall, so if you all plan anything I'll see what I can do. My teaching assistantship only requires me to be there on Wednesdays. I could pretty easily do Friday and the weekend as a consequence. But I don't think I can afford flying more than a few times each year.

I likely will be in MD next summer, but not certain yet.

As for flying in general, bringing water guns might be as issue. Amtrak possibly would be better in this respect as you can avoid the TSA.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:40 pm

I just bought a number of light primaries this year, so I haveplenty of loaners for non anything goes. I was suggesting Rob could fly because of his agoraphobia but I imagine Texas is way too far to drive!

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:38 pm

If you hold another war (not a meetup) down there I'd try to go. It's like half the distance to NC, which would obviously be better for me if I had classes and stuff. Someone would have to find a good place. The Soakemore venues were pretty dope, but they might start to get old. Believe it or not, I've actually started to get a little bored of the portable labyrinth. Ambushing people is always fun, but when you've been fighting in the same layout for three years, it starts to get repetitive. Especially due to the small size. I notice a lot of the same scenarios end up happening. I actually think that it's better with less people. The first round I fought there was 2v2, which was the only round aside from the cave war that was actually scary to play. Higher numbers make more noise and the fighting has less of a manhunt feel. Maybe we should look for other, more fresh schools with lots of portables in the MD area. Scott actually found a map online.

Oh, and I don't think flying and agoraphobia mix very well...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:13 am

marauder wrote:I was suggesting Rob could fly because of his agoraphobia but I imagine Texas is way too far to drive!
You're right. My parents didn't trust me to drive a rented van with my belongings to Texas (not enough driving practice for a long trip), so my father drove me. It took 2 or 3 days as I recall. While there are some nice BBQ places along the way in Tennessee, I wouldn't want to do it again alone. At least on a train you can walk around and talk to people.

Also wouldn't recommend flying with agoraphobia. I dislike flying myself, and usually pick flights to my parents' and back with a transfer so I can walk around and use a real bathroom. The commuter trains I've been on are more spacious and have much better bathrooms as well.

Next time I am at my parents', I'll have to remember to scout out some new war locations. Years ago I thought about trying Gathland State Park near them. It has some nice monuments to use as obstacles. I think there is one spigot as well, but I am not sure. There are bathrooms, but I don't think filling in there is practical.

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 pm

I like Baltimore...
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long."
-Anonymous
-=+Maximum Soakage+=-

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:49 am

Black Six wrote:I like Baltimore...
Got any Saturdays that are good for you in October?

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:38 pm

October 8, 9, 10 and November 11, 12, 13 are both three day weekends for me, I'm down to meet up in MD or northern Virginia.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 am

Checked bags are expensive, but there shouldn't be problems getting blasters through. (At least you'd think so, considering firearms are permitted.) Still, Rob's in no condition to fly.

I may be available for a MD/VA meetup during Thanksgiving week or sometime nearby. There's a nerf event near Philly being planned, so it'd be a relatively reasonable drive from there to Scott's.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Yo, this would be sweet if everyone who responded to this thread could make it (plus Nick, Scott, etc.). I can probably do most weekends except Oct 15-16. The 9th and 10th sound good so far. Not sure about November, because that's usually when Frozen Fury is held. Unless DX decides not to do it. We need good abandoned buildings that are uh, not patrolled.

But it looks like this "meetup" could end up having a pretty big turnout. I'd definitely be excited to go. I only really have a 1200 to use, but if it's more casual anyway it doesn't matter. I like the idea of just hanging out and having a few rounds as opposing to trying to fight rounds all day (which never works unless it's non-stop fighting). Gathland might be cool, although I can't really get a good idea of it from the website. Someone would have to scout it in person.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:05 pm

I had a job right next to Gathland before, and the area should generally be pretty good. It has a parking lot, a pavilion, toilets, a large field, and it's on the Appalachian Trail. It's been quite a few years since I've been there, though, so I second the notion that somebody should scout it out to check for any changes. From what I remember it serves as the intersection for many trails, though some are rather hilly. There are also several Appalachian trail shelters nearby if we'd want to base ourselves more in the woods, but water may be an issue. I remember doing some Boy Scout projects at the Garvey shelter a few times. Gathland is definitely worth a look.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:32 am

I think Gathland would be great in terms of variety of cover alone based on the last time I was there (about 10 years ago). You have buildings, forest, monuments, fields, hills, and trails. We just have to find water.

I vaguely recall now that there's either a spigot or water fountain on the Washington county side of the pavilion there. Whoever gets there first should check that, and also check if there's a spigot outside the bathrooms. There might be some water pumps on the trail too. I'll have to ask my father.

Also worth checking out parks closer to and in Baltimore. I'm not familiar with any, though. Belisaurus might have some ideas.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:18 am

Nick told me we should look at venues away from Baltimore. It's too dangerou to be carrying around even toy guns. But he said it's an awesome place to hangout if we fight nearby.

I don't have my schedule yet for fiscal year 17 (starts in October) but I'll get back with y'all. This could work out well.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 pm

What would people think about having a meetup war in NJ, specifically on the old Waterbridge and Goffle battlefields? A 3 hour war at Waterbridge, a lunch break somewhere in Ridgewood, and then a 3 hour war at Goffle (or just 3 at Waterbridge)? I'm considering having this instead of Frozen Fury, as FF still has no suitable venue. The war would be in late September or October. Northern NJ is about 5-6 hours north of DC, though. It's 2 hours closer than New Haven, but still a long drive from points south.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm possibly interested. My attendance is dependent on whether I can take a break during the fall semester, and how I might get there. My PhD proposal is being rescheduled, so September may not work for me.

If Scott's going then I could go with him if he's okay with that. Otherwise I could look into taking a train and getting picked up. I have no car at the moment.

You only mentioned one day, which is good for me. Probably will not be able to stay more than a day in this case.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Obviously if I could do MD, I could do NJ. Not sure I could make both though. If we end up using Waterbridge, we definitely have to make sure the reeds are still up. Would they still be around in October?

I just had an idea. How does having a meetup every month sound? We could use a different location each time, and just go there to hang out and have one or two long rounds (like 3 hours). If you can't make it, no big deal! There's always next month, which could be closer to you. Even if there are only like four people, we could still have fun. Battling doesn't have to be the main focus. We could still have big wars, although with this community, some of the meetups could end up having more people than a full-fledged war. I guess the difference would be that the big wars go on for longer.

Sound good? This could have a positive effect on community activity as well. Right now things are pretty dead. I don't know how many meetups I personally would be able to go to, especially during the school year, but we wouldn't be scheduling them to fit everyone. We'd just be doing as many as possible so that there are more chances for everyone to make it.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:09 am

I can do NJ so long as it's not an Army weekend. Could come back and fight a day in Maryland the next day. I would be interested in meeting up every month, but not sure if it can work just yet.