MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Frozen Fury/or other War

Post by SEAL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:27 am

I could most likely do it over the break, but only if I have enough money. Though maybe if my brother wants to come I can make him pay for it. XD Are you living in your new house yet?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 am

SEAL wrote:I could most likely do it over the break, but only if I have enough money. Though maybe if my brother wants to come I can make him pay for it. XD Are you living in your new house yet?
Yeah, dude, come on down! We have Danny and Tony and some other people are interested too.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:25 pm

I think the trip to NC has a good chance of happening. So do you have a date in mind yet, or no? After Christmas sometime would probably be optimal. Maybe we could even do something for New Years, since that falls on a weekend. Would this be like MOAB aka something hardcore, or would it just be more of a meetup to hang out and have fun? Honestly I'm down either way. Might also combine the trip with something else, but I'm not sure what yet.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:10 am

This all depends on my work situation. See my employment topic. I'm not sure what's going to happen. Also, I hung out with Will on Thanksgiving and he said he really wants to come to another war.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:27 am

I decided that I am going to turn down the job in Clayton if offered, simply because I want to continue on in government and or non profit work. So, that opens up things for this holiday season.

Just want to see a show of hands, or posts rather, of anyone who would come down to North Carolina for a war over New Years weekend.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm good to come down to NC. I won't be in MD for much longer past that weekend but that time works for me.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Yeah dude, let's celebrate 2017 water warfare style! I will most likely bring a sibling. Maybe both. What will we be doing?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:17 am

What we do really depends on what you all are interested in.

Here are some things to keep in mind as we plan this -

Moonlight - This weekend will be right after a new moon and lunar light will be minimal. Consider how this will effect night battling and where we are ok with and not ok with fighting at night.
Sunrise: 7:25 AM
Sunset: 5:11 PM
Projected weather: 52/32 (will become more accurate as we get closer)

Lodging - You can stay at my new house.

I have a firepit so we can make smores and cook hot dogs and whatever else you're interested in.

Possible Venues - Little Creek, Legend Park, Smithfield River Walk on the Neuse, Clayton River Walk on the Neuse. I will take pictures. I can also set up mobstacles around my yard (1 acre fully playable) for night battling if we don't fight in the woods.

*edit moved from Frozen Fury to MOAB thread*

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:14 pm

marauder wrote:I have a firepit so we can make smores and cook hot dogs and whatever else you're interested in.
Let's get a keg! If we all pitch in it'll only be a couple bucks from each of us.

Here's what I'd like to see:

-Arrive on Friday, likely sometime in the afternoon or evening. If we could find a school or something to do night wars at I'd be down, else we could just relax and plan for tomorrow. Make sure to get in bed fairly early so we'll have enough energy.

-Saturday, we get up whenever and hit the battlefield. I want to fight at that place you called me about (I think it's Little Creek). Do it Vermin War style; just one round that lasts for most of the day. Come up with teams ahead of time. Fight until it starts to get dark (in my experience, fighting in the woods at night with no moon is not much fun), then head back to marauder's place for the postgame party. We can roast 'mellows and make smores around the fire pit, then get drunk and try to skirmish around the yard. :twisted: After that we can count down to the new year, and fire off the soakers just as it hits midnight.

-On Sunday we can get up as late as we want, and then maybe hang around and go sightseeing or find some abandoned buildings to skirmish at or film a video or something. Lots of possibilities!

-I'll probably leave on Monday. Might hit up some other places, but I would need a place to stay and all that so I'm not sure. Don't really want to spend money on a hotel/campground. Still working this out.

But man, I would be soooo excited to come to an event like this! Let's make it happen.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:34 pm

SEAL wrote:I want to fight at that place you called me about (I think it's Little Creek). Do it Vermin War style; just one round that lasts for most of the day. Come up with teams ahead of time. Fight until it starts to get dark (in my experience, fighting in the woods at night with no moon is not much fun), then head back to marauder's place for the postgame party.
The boys and I will go take pictures this weekend and I'll post them here. For anyone that hasn't seen the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3EWTDe4QT0 The Creek at Saint John's Woods flows into Little Creek.

My idea is to have an attacking team and a defending team. This is not like Hold the Line, more like an invasion. The attacking team makes its way through the woods to try to find the defending team and destroy them. The battlefield will be linear, like Waterbridge, with enough room to hide and flank, but thin enough to create lots of conflict and ambush opportunities.

I am considering slightly mismatched teams. Perhaps a larger team with smaller guns vs a smaller team with bigger guns. I want things to be fair, but not in an apples to apples kind of way.

I will be in discussion with the local police department and school system about possible night fighting.

I think this could turn out special.

For anyone that may need transportation from the NY area -
http://www.gotobus.com/raleigh-to-new-york-bus/ Greyhound has $55 round trips from NYC to Raleigh
https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak $95 round trip train from NYC to Smithfield/Selma (pretty much where I live)

If you prefer to be a defender please reply as such. If you prefer to invade, reply as such. That being said, I may just have defensive fighting styles on defense, and agressive on offense. Hmm..

DX

Re: MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by DX » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:54 pm

I really want to make this, but it is a logistical nightmare without a working car. I took a closer look at the public transit options and there are a lot of gotchas. Those prices are only one way, the cheap Amtrak tickets on all trains are already gone, and the $55 bus departures are at really whacked times. Selma-Smithfield only has two Amtrak arrivals a day, which both depart NY Penn too early in the morning to make the handoff from MetroNorth. Regular Amtrak has good departure and arrival times for Raleigh, but at a cost of $137 inbound. I can't even afford outbound on Monday due to both classes of cheaper ticket being sold out, so I'd need to either leave first thing on Sunday or Tuesday. Amtrak is more than 2 hours faster than the bus, so there is that to weigh as well. Another option is to eat one of the more expensive bus departures ($74-82), but get the good arrival time, and then Yolo it on a $55 sleeper for the return trip. Regardless of the options, this will take all day.

I have yet to decide which option works best. Snow will tip it toward the train, lack of funds will tip it toward the bus. it's still too far out to know yet.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:41 am

DX (another name change? haha), I might be able to give you a ride. It will depend on my travel arrangements, but I will let you know once I get it figured out. Probably after finals next week. A couple extra hours of travel time doesn't matter to me if I'm already driving all day. You wouldn't have to pay any more than like $20 or so to help cover the gas.

I'm cool with doing an unbalanced-ish attack/defend thing. If I understand it right, it's just regular 1HS but played out like a territory invasion? That sounds fun, and I've thought about stuff like that before. It actually doesn't matter to me whether I'm on attack or defense. I think it would be a lot of fun either way.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am

I have Monday the 2nd off from work. Let's do this!

Rob mentioned there is a Nerf war in PA on Friday the 30st and Saturday the 31st. Everyone is welcome Friday night, but if you don't get here until Saturday evening that is ok too. Please let me know in advance so I can know when to expect everyone. Also, invite your friends!

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:38 pm

What if not enough people show up on Saturday? If we're only fighting (at least, serious fighting) on Sunday then that would kinda ruin the New Year party 'cause we'd want to get plenty of sleep for the Sunday battle. I know I for one don't function very well without getting a good sleep.

But seriously, there are nerf wars several times a month. Events like this only come around a couple times a year. Just saying...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:33 pm

SEAL wrote:What if not enough people show up on Saturday? If we're only fighting (at least, serious fighting) on Sunday then that would kinda ruin the New Year party 'cause we'd want to get plenty of sleep for the Sunday battle. I know I for one don't function very well without getting a good sleep.

But seriously, there are nerf wars several times a month. Events like this only come around a couple times a year. Just saying...
Talk to Rob, etc. It's up to everyone individually. If they go to the Nerf War on Saturday then what I will probably do is have you and your brother(s) form the basis of the defense (ambush/counter attack) team with me and we can set up plans and skirmish and practice. Would be kind of cool because it would be some sort of team dynamic.

Of course... then they'd be relient on their own transportation and not getting a ride with you. But if you go to the Nerf War then we essentially push all activity one day to the right, unless the Trettells and Scott come down on Saturday Morning/Fri Night.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 pm

There's actually quite a few options concerning what to do about those pesky narf wars. There's two events, the one on Thursday is an indoor war at what used to be Grid Code (same airsoft arena, new management). The other is Yolostock on Friday and Saturday morning. The options include:

1. Go to the Thursday nerf war and head to Ben's on Friday.
2. Go to the Thursday nerf war, go to part of the Friday war, and head to Ben's on Friday night.
3. Go to both wars and head to Ben's on Saturday.
4. Skip the both wars and go straight to Ben's on Friday.

Personally, I'd rather go to Ben's on Friday. We just had a Yolostock event on Thanksgiving weekend. It's worth going to NC just to visit Ben, Tiff, nephews, etc, there doesn't even need to be a huge water war IMO.

That said, whenever Seal wants to go is when I'd want to go. I looked at transit options from Philly and they're even worse than NY...high prices, graveyard departures, lack of options.

Let's make it a big New Years Eve party! Friends, booze, soakers, summer...
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:32 pm

I was planning to go on Friday and get there in the evening, just as I usually do with wars that are far away. Would you have been staying overnight in PA for the nerf wars? If so you could always go to the Thursday one and I could pick you up Friday morning from wherever you're staying since I'd be passing through PA anyway.

Also as an aside, I forgot to mention that for the fighting, we should do the feel-based hit method to help avoid disputes and confusion. Feel water? That's a hit, bruh.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:35 pm

My plan is for everyone to hang out and prepare on Friday night. We can have some night battles in my yard if you are interested. I have a full acre, so it's actually pretty decent.

Saturday will be the main event. We will let people wake up at a reasonable (but not late) time. Tiffany will cook a big breakfast for everyone that will help everyone stay full til later in the day. The defending team will need to leave the house by 10. The invading team can be given more time, to 10:30 before they need to leave. Each team will be given lunch to take with them. You will have to find your own time to eat, we will not be stopping. Each team can carry 2 (or 3 depending upon how many people show up) sidearm or backup blasters. Not stopping for lunch, and forcing people to transition to a sidearm and not stopping the battle if a primary goes down, will make this battle more dynamic. Going all day without stopping will cause everyone to refill multiple times, which will also make the battle more dynamic.

We will be playing 1hs with a new innovation. Everyone will be getting poker chips for lives - red for one team and blue for the other. Whenever you are hit by someone you will give them a poker chip. This way we will not need to keep a running count of the score which will keep things more accurate but will also encourage people to be more aggressive because there is no embarrassment or disagreement in shouting out scores/hits etc. Players that are hit will be out of battle for a little longer than typical amount of time since this will be an all day battle and since you will need to hand your poker chip over. I have not decided how long yet. To prevent spawn camping you must tag a teammate to reenter the battle.

I may add an objective/campaign style format to the initial part of the battle. E.g. the invading team must seize a certain objective within a certain period of time IOT seize a CPS 2000. Alternately, the invading team must reach a certain objective within a specified amount of time without suffering a certain # of casualties IOT use a CPS 2000 for the rest of the day. If the assault team does not meet this then the CPS 2000 can be used by the defending team for the rest of the day. This is just an example, and I am open to other ideas.

I will put some more maps up here. If you are unfamiliar with the battlefield I encourage you to study. This will be a long battle.

Sunday can be a second day of all out battle, or we can go into a typical lineup of shorter rounds.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:26 pm

@Seal: I need to get more info on the Thursday war, but my gut feeling it it's probably not a full day, not even half day, and therefore could just be skipped. Leaving from here on Friday morning makes more sense.

@Marauder: Is there anywhere in the playing area where freshwater mussels can be found along the bank, in an outflow, flood debris, etc.? If they are present, I have an obvious idea for an objective...

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:03 am

DX: Okay cool, just let me know what you end up doing.

marauder: That sounds great. However I have a few suggestions.

First of all I'm not very keen on the poker chip idea for two reasons. For one, it could make gameplay a bit awkward. If you hit someone, you'd have to wait until they give you a chip, which could be a nuisance if you're in the middle of an all-out battle with the rest of the enemy team. Secondly, if the battle goes on all day, there is the possibility of a LOT of hits being made. Each player would have to carry a crapton of poker chips, which could get annoying. Especially considering that some players don't wear clothes with lots of pockets.

So my suggestion is to just give everyone a zip-lock bag containing a pencil (pens might dry up at the wrong time) and an index card. When you get hit, pull out the bag and write a tally mark on the index card. This can be done while respawning. You don't need to write down names or anything, just one line for each hit. At the end of the game, just count the number of lines. Whichever team has the fewest in total is the winner.

As for adding an objective, I'm okay with it as long as it's not too complicated and doesn't disrupt the flow of battle. I do kind of like the idea of having a CPS 2000 that the invaders have a chance to obtain. We could say that if the invaders don't grab the 2000 within the first hour, the defenders get to use it. Or rather than having a time limit, we could say that the first team to get five kills gets to take the 2000. Not sure which would be better.

Speaking of guns, what are we doing for loadouts? I want to do anything goes, but none of my primaries are fully functional. Not sure how everyone else is in that department. Maybe we could go medium, and instead of having just one 2000 to grab, we could have several heavy weapons laying around. For example, first team to five kills gets a 1500, first to ten gets a 2500, and first to fifteen gets a 2000. Perhaps the team that's behind would need less kills just so you don't have one team getting all three of them in a positive-feedback loop. Or it could be time-based. Get a 1500 after the first hour, a 2500 after two hours, and a 2000 after three. I also really like the idea of bringing in sidearms as backup.

So to summarize: medium primaries only, with up to two light sidearms. There are three heavy weapons placed in different locations around the field, and each team has a chance to take them and use them.

I suspect most people will be in no shape to fight another battle like this on Sunday, but I'm cool with just sightseeing/exploring. We could bring some guns and have casual skirmishes too.

I have a really good feeling about this. :soakon2:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~