MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:28 pm

This has been my most stressful semester at school yet, I was actually taking a pretty regular workload for once, 3 classes totaling 14 credit hours. Probably a bad idea as I had to drop one halfway through and I'm not so sure my chances of passing the others. Anyway...

This war sounds really awesome! I am totally down for coming, I would try and get there midday Friday, as I'd rather not be driving windy country roads, at night, on the start of one of the most alcohol consuming weekends. I can also give a ride to anyone local, and I'd have to check with my parents, but SEAL and DX could probably spend Thursday night here if they don't want to go from CT to NC in one day.

As for blasters, with all the stress from school, I've been pretty bad and haven't even cycled them! I have finals till Wednesday night, but will start testing them out Thursday and see what works. I have a 2500, 1500, and 10K, not sure what load out I will go with yet, but I don't see myself carrying more then one of those, so I can bring the other two to as loaners. Of coarse this assumes they are still working, but the only problem any of them had 3 months ago was the 2500's pressure leak, but it's a pretty slow leak and the water ends up back in the reservoir, so its still functional.

I hope you can get some sodas for Saturday night as well, even half a glass of something alcoholic just makes me feel sick, and some of the medications I'm on aren't really supposed to be mixed with it ether.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:24 am

SEAL wrote:So my suggestion is to just give everyone a zip-lock bag containing a pencil (pens might dry up at the wrong time) and an index card. When you get hit, pull out the bag and write a tally mark on the index card. This can be done while respawning. You don't need to write down names or anything, just one line for each hit. At the end of the game, just count the number of lines. Whichever team has the fewest in total is the winner.
I like this idea. We can get write in the rain sheets. They are very good.

We now have 8 confirmed, so we can play 4 v 4, but I am hoping we can push this to 5 v 5 or possibly even 6 v 6.
SEAL wrote:Speaking of guns, what are we doing for loadouts?
Each water warrior will be bringing in their own primary. Each team is authorized 2 sidearms. If someone's primary goes down they can use one of the sidearms. I will be creating a white list for primaries and sidearms. To do this I will need everyone to please post what blasters you have that work.

Danny and I shot some footage of the battlefield and edited it last night. I should have it uploaded to Youtube tomorrow and will link to it here. This battlefield is very unique. A large portion of it is underneath 2 massive freeway bridges. They are about 100 feet (possibly more) above the battlefield and the sides of the bridge are so high that no one can see anyone on the ground. It's kind of like hiding in plain site, except this is public land, so we wouldn't have problems anyway.

Here is a super basic map of the battlefield. The area between the two highway bridges is probably 150 yards, but with the way the creek winds you can't go straight, so it's more like 300 yards by the way you actually walk. There's a lot more to it than this, but I wanted to put everything in some kind of context. Most of the sight specific details are on the north (bottom) side of the map near the dam, but the forest south (top) of the highways is probably better for fighting. On the first page of this topic you can see some details from the area near the dam.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 10666 times
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:38 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:SEAL and DX could probably spend Thursday night here if they don't want to go from CT to NC in one day.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure what my plans are yet. I was just going to make the drive on Friday, although it is a long haul. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

marauder: You can add Chief to the attendance list. I don't think my other brother wants to come though.

As for what blasters we have that work, well here are the useful ones:

-CPS 2500
-CPS 1021
-CPS 1200
-Vanquisher
-XP 150
-Gargantua

Ooh, I misread your post. I thought each player got two sidearms, not each team. In that case I suppose sidearms can be whatever. Not necessarily light weapons. I do really like the idea of not showing any mercy if a gun breaks. Feels more like a real war.

Thanks for posting the map. Unless I'm much mistaken, you have north and south flipped, right? I remember the dam being north of the highway. Oh, and fighting under a busy highway sounds awesome.

Less than three weeks away! We should have a group chat.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:49 pm

We may want to take Scott up on that offer...Clayton is around 10 hours from here, and that's if you get lucky/do it right. David also wants to come.

Scott left his Space Shuttle here, so I can test that to see if it works. I think I have a working 1200, 1000, 3/4 working 2000, working 150s, and then a bunch of other light guns.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:05 pm

I have added a list of "working guns" to the first page of this topic. Thank you for the information, please continue to add to this topic if you haven't done so thusfar.

Based off a variety of factors I may institute a policy where less experienced payers get to use larger blasters and more experienced players would have to use lighter (or medium) blasters. I want a challenge for myself, but I also want to make sure we give everyone a good chance. It also increases the likelyhood of different types of action and decreases the likelihood of standoffs. This would mean less freedom and more restrictions for some of us, which may be antithetical to the way you think that "hardcore" or "anything goes" wars might go, but I want MOAB to be all about the challenge. In fact, I may go so far as to restrict myself to an XP class blaster. Bring it on.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:29 pm

DX: Yeah, at this point I'm leaning towards staying at Scott's on Thursday night. That way, we can get to NC earlier and do some scouting. Also we could even have a quick battle in the Labyrinth if it's still there. Also, would David be coming with us then? I suppose we can squeeze him in assuming only one of my brothers comes.

marauder: I'm cool with using a smaller gun considering that I don't even have a working heavy primary (the 2500 is my brother's) anyway. I've brought up doing something like that before, but as far as I remember we've only done it for vets vs. noobs. It would definitely still be hardcore as it would present a greater challenge for the vets while evening out the playing field in the process.

However I'm not sure I'd like to be locked into one weapon. I prefer being able to switch guns with teammates and steal cached enemy weapons. Also how would the sidearm thing be implemented? Like, if a less experienced player's gun breaks, does he get a light sidearm, or does one of the veterans give him their medium gun and take the sidearm? Or would there be different classes of sidearms for different types of players? Might get confusing.

Ultimately though, I'd be cool either way. What does everyone else think?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Thurs just makes more sense all-around, we could definitely do stuff with Scott. David would be coming with us, I bet he has quite a few working soakers as well. I'm interested in getting some DSLR footage in the labyrinth or wherever else we decide to play at.

Honestly, I don't really care about the distribution of stuff as long as it makes some sense. KISS. "People are slow and stupid."

The weather looks good so far, long range on NC is holding in the 50s and even 60s. Winter is escalating quickly up here, but it's having trouble reaching down there. It was 35 degrees while I was moving firewood today and I was way warmer than necessary. After hitting 5 or so, NC should be like summer, we can totally do night rounds and whatever.

If you want to chat, I am on Discord much of the day and...much of the night.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:06 pm

SEAL wrote:However I'm not sure I'd like to be locked into one weapon. I prefer being able to switch guns with teammates and steal cached enemy weapons. Also how would the sidearm thing be implemented? Like, if a less experienced player's gun breaks, does he get a light sidearm, or does one of the veterans give him their medium gun and take the sidearm? Or would there be different classes of sidearms for different types of players? Might get confusing.
I will continue to take everyone's input. I want to create something fair and balanced, but also exciting.
Here's how I'd currently structure weapons -

Anything goes - David, Tony, Danny, Andrew,
Med - SEAL, SAM
Light - Marauder, Scott, DX, Chief

All sidearms are light. If you find a cached weapon anyone can use it, but I find that highly unlikely that e.g. David would hide his working 2000 and then use a light backup.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:22 pm

I've just checked with my parents, it is fine if people crash here Thursday night. The labyrinth was still there as of a couple months ago, I think my dad was right that it would be too much trouble to take it down when they will probably need it again in a year or two. We could totally fight there some Thursday, maybe I'll get a couple local friends to come too. Not sure how many would be willing to go down to North Carolina with me, but I'm going to ask around as at least my cousin might be interested. I've been pretty sick the last couple days, but I will start testing blasters as soon as I can and figure out what works. If I am going to be required to use a light blaster, I'll need to perform maintenance on my Colossus anyway, so if any of the tested guns have problems, I might as well work on them too.

Oh and someone left their hat here at Soakemore, I think it might have been Danny's. I think SEAL also left a few things, but he will have to remind me what they were so I can find them.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 am

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:I've been pretty sick the last couple days, but I will start testing blasters as soon as I can and figure out what works. If I am going to be required to use a light blaster, I'll need to perform maintenance on my Colossus anyway, so if any of the tested guns have problems, I might as well work on them too.
I'm not sure right now. I may just say, "whatever" and people can use whatever they want. There is beauty in the simplicity of that. At the same time, I do want to give the newer players more of an advantage, and I relish a challenge.

I tested the battlefield out with Tony and Danny this weekend. It was a blast. Danny was using my Gargantua, Tony was using my Blazer, while I test drove my (stock) PPB. At first the PPB was OP. The shot time is unreal and the stream is thick and powerful - not quite as thick as the 150, but certainly more powerful. The performance is like a combination of the best attributes of the 150 and Colossus. As the battle wore on I noticed that the PC furthest to the back was completely drained of water and the PC at the front of the blaster was completely full, with each PC progressively less full moving from front to back. As a result air was getting mixed in with the shot and the stream was sputtering and less effective. Danny got a good kill on me and was able to drive me back with the Gargantua at this point. I am contemplating plugging the front 2 PCs and just using the back 2. The PC capacity on the PPB is so insane that you could plug 2 and it would still have almost as much PC capacity as a 150. The mobility of the PPB was terrific. I was able to crawl around the battlefield, dodge, etc. very effectively. I tested out my 600 after the battle and may end up switching to the 600 simply because of its constant pressure ability. The mods I did on the 600 are very underrated. If I had released the guide 10 years ago I think people would have been all over it. That being said, the modded 600 and stock PPB are very much borderline medium class, and that is causing me to reconsider my initial weapons groupings.

If we can get a 5 v 5 battle I believe we will see ambushing like we rarely see in community wars. The battlefield does have a lot of thorns, but the ground is very soft and (powdery) sandy in a lot of places. Some areas have thorns all over the ground, so you have to high step, but much of the area is very easy to crawl through, and I would actually recommend crawling over running in some areas. It's not just easier to hide, it's almost easier to move through. The creek is actually pretty wide, and there are only so many places you can cross without actually getting into it. Some of this is determined by how athletic you are. I was able to cross the log bridge and climb up the bank in less than 20 seconds, but it took Tony over 6 minutes and he destroyed a lot of the bank in the process, knocking it into the creek. I was able to sneak around the battlefield and cross a rocky area and then crawl up behind the boys at one point. The creek looks easier to cross the further you move south of the highways. I kept wanting to push the fighting to that area, but the boys kept moving back toward and under the highways. There are some areas that are blatantly out in the open, and I mean open like the grass in your front yard open. That being said, it was cool to fight from column/pillar to column under the highway. There are also some openings/clearings in the area south of the highway that I really wanted to fight in, but they are punctuated by thick brush and trees, which makes things interesting. Due to how difficult it was to cross the creek near the highway I recommend that we push the fighting south, but I'm not out right outlawing the area right under the highway just yet.

We took pictures which I hope to get up soon to show you all what I'm talking about.

Also, I found a good source of local "shine" for the New Years Eve party.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm still debilitating my game plan here. What day are we skirkishing at the portables with Scott?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:33 pm

^Right now the plan is for me and Keith to pick up Rob and David on Thursday the 29th, and arrive at Scott's in the afternoon. We'll mess around in the portable labyrinth for a little while after it gets dark, then go to bed to get ready to go to NC on Friday.

Scott: I left a pillow there in the guest room. I might as well just use it while I'm there (unless it needs to be washed) anyway, and then bring it to NC.

marauder: Here's a checklist of stuff for the party. Do you have:

-a tap? (for the keg)
-cups?
-a pong table?
-music? (I can send you some bangin' tracks as well)

I was thinking some fireworks would be awesome as well. Those who choose to remain sober can light them off, haha.

As for the battle, I don't really have much more to say at the moment. I'm just excited to fight in something other than a skirmish for once.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Been feeling a little better today, but was too busy working on the Christmas decorations to test out guns. With this thing only a little over a week away, I don't want to put off testing guns for too long, but getting my own Christmas stuff finished and helping my grandma with hers is the priority for the next day or two.

I may be able to help with fireworks. I don't have anything too big, it's mostly fountains, but I think I still have a package or two of roman candles. As stated before, I can't drink even if I wanted to, so I can be the one to set them off.

How many others aren't drinking? If it is only a few of us maybe we could do a drunks vs sobers round, lol! 3 vs 7 but the 7 are drunk!

DX

Post by DX » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:59 pm

Ewww, keg beer. Ewww, college students. :p

Fireworks would be lit.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:23 am

DX wrote:Ewww, keg beer. Ewww, college students. :p
Ewww, beer snobs. Ewww, old people. :p Don't you want to feel young again? But okay, if you'd like we can stand around sipping wine/champagne while discussing the stock market while classical music plays softly in the background.

Also,
DX wrote:Fireworks would be lit.
I see what you did there.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:31 am

SEAL wrote:
DX wrote:Ewww, keg beer. Ewww, college students. :p
Ewww, beer snobs. Ewww, old people. :p Don't you want to feel young again? But okay, if you'd like we can stand around sipping wine/champagne while discussing the stock market while classical music plays softly in the background.

Also,
DX wrote:Fireworks would be lit.
I see what you did there.

LOL ... my friend Johnathan is coming to the party. He's actually a virtuoso classical pianist, but he can drink everyone under the table. I think you'll enjoy meeting him. He's from North Carolina but lives and operates out of the city. We used to have watergun fights with him growing up, but I think he's more interested in filming/photographing if he comes to the war. He's a very good photographer.

I don't have the funds for a keg right now. Is moonshine a good compromise? I can probably get some beer from our local brewery too.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:15 pm

You can feel young again without needing to drink cat piss :) Drink good beer. It's not necessarily expensive and it tastes great. My suggestion to Ben was to see what Clayton's breweries have to offer, try something new and local. IMO, beer would be a better choice than moonshine.

Easy way to get a free keg! - Pour it into your CPS...

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:06 am

Andrew, are you still coming? Ben, are you coming? The more people, the better! Only 1 week away folks!

Is everyone still down for an all day war on Saturday? We will not be breaking for lunch or for broken weapons... eat on the go... transition to your sidearm! This is a one of a kind, new war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:57 pm

If we don't do an all-day war I won't come. :p Speaking of which, I need to start preparing. We should start coming up with teams. Nothing has to be final of course.

As for the keg, I was thinking that we would just all pitch in to cover the cost. I did this like a month ago with some friends and we only had to pay $10 each out of the five of us. That was also a half keg, and we can certainly make due with a quarter. Kegs are great 'cause they serve the whole party without having to get tons of bottles. Just grab a cup and fill it whenever you want to. But ultimately it's up to marauder. I will also be bringing a little something to contribute as well. It rhymes with "clever dear." And no, it's not the sissy 151 version.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:17 pm

What kind of beer do y'all prefer? Lagers? Dark beers, light?

Some team ideas -

Marauder, DX, CA99, Chupacabra, Tony
SEAL, Chief, Scott, David, Drenchenator

Marauder, SEAL, Chupacabra, Drenchenator, Scott
DX, Chief, David, CA99, Tony

Marauder, Chief, Chupacabra, Drenchenator, CA99
DX, SEAL, Scott, Tony, David

Marauder, SEAL, Chief, Tony, Chupacabra
DX, Scott, David, CA99, Drenchenator

Marauder, DX, Chief, Drenchenator, David
SEAL, Scott, Tony, Chupacabra, CA99

Marauder, SEAL, Scott, CA99, David
DX, Chief, Chupacabra, Tony, Drenchenator

Marauder, Scott, Drenchenator, CA99, Chupacabra
DX, SEAL, Chief, David, Tony

Marauder, DX, SEAL, Tony, David
Scott, Chief, Drenchenator, Chupacabra, CA99

Which options do you like? 5 v 5. this is gonna be a good war.