MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by marauder » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Date: Dec 31 to Jan 2

Location: Little Creek (US 70 W entrance), Clayton, NC (Satellite Map) 75 acres

Youtube video

Game Type: OHS, possible 1hk and ctf

==================================

Backup Parks: TBA. I'm asking permission, and this is on the other side of the highway, from where we were last time. So this shouldn't be an issue.

Lodging & Parking: Stay at my house. We will shuttle to the battlefield from there.

Official Doodle Calender

Confirmed (9):
Marauder
SEAL
Chief
DX
Scott
Chupacabra
David
Tony
HBWW

List of Operable Guns:
Marauder: Monster XL, XP Pool Pumper Blaster, SC 600, Blazer, Gargantua, XP 310, 4x Python 2, XP 70
DX: 1200, 1000, working 150s
SEAL & Chief: CPS 2500, CPS 1021, CPS 1200, Vanquisher, XP 150, Gargantua
HBWW: CPS 2500 (single nozzle), CPS 10k, WW Gargantua, Max-D 3000
rsz_img_20151226_152232.jpg
rsz_img_20151226_152232.jpg (280.33 KiB) Viewed 13930 times
rsz_img_20151226_144853.jpg
rsz_img_20151226_144853.jpg (397.85 KiB) Viewed 13930 times
rsz_1img_20151226_144743.jpg
rsz_1img_20151226_144743.jpg (375.15 KiB) Viewed 13930 times
rsz_img_20151226_145931.jpg
rsz_img_20151226_145931.jpg (343.77 KiB) Viewed 13930 times
rsz_img_20151226_145938.jpg
rsz_img_20151226_145938.jpg (341.42 KiB) Viewed 13930 times
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Re: MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:07 pm

I should be able to attend if I can find a car in time, right now I'm looking pretty actively for one so I can't make promises but I'm hopeful.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Just FYI, my spring break is March 26th to April 3rd. That would probably be the only time I'd be able to make it. If you hold the war in that time period, then I'd say you can put me on the maybe list for now. And wow, that would make the war only two months from now.

I like the looks of the location, especially the stone ruins and the dam. I suggest you clear some paths and stuff while preparing for the war.

What kinds of cars are you looking at oncoming storm? Don't forget to look in as many places as possible. When I was searching I would check Craigslist, Ebay, and the want ads every day. There are other websites as well.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:57 am

Many more pictures uploaded - Hydrowar, and that's only half of the battlefield.

Recommended reading for this war - Vermin War 12. Same battlefield.

SEAL, this war has been proposed for Thursday night, Friday, Sat, Sun, Mar 31 to Apr 3 for your Spring break. You could get here Thursday and then leave Sunday. It needs to be over a weekend because I can't take a full week off, but I can take off Friday and leave early Thursday. This is for you.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:00 pm

Looks like a great location. Thanks for organizing this, marauder.

Put me down as a maybe, depending on when this is scheduled, my other obligations, and how expensive the plane tickets are. My spring break is from March 12th to 20th, which completely conflicts with SEAL's. Looks like Drenchenator gets the 19th to the 22nd, too, though I'm not quite sure if I understand his university's calendar correctly. For me, there's no way I could make it if it's not during my spring break. I doubt Drenchenator could go either way.

Also, not a fan of camping at all (despite probably 2 months+ of overnight camping in the scouts...), so if I attend I'd look into alternative lodging.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:13 pm

There might be a nerf event on the weekend of March 12 or 19. (Most likely 12.) I'm thinking April would be better in general but I'm not completely sure what's going on yet.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:46 pm

My cousin Jack's Spring Break at VA Tech is March 5th through the 13th. There seems to be some correlation between Spring Break timing and how far south you are. I know at Furman in SC they had Spring Break in February one year. I mean, it sort of makes sense, as the further north you are the later spring comes, but February? Even early March is still chilly down here.

When does Keith have Spring Break? I know this is a bit of a ways off, but Redd at UNI, you are also invited, as well as thesoaker in Cali, and anyone else. Let us know when your spring breaks are.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:43 am

February is quite an early spring! About 1 in every 3 years, Spring doesn't hit New England until late April or early May. Significant snow can fall deep into April. The only weekend I know I can't make is March 19th-20th (which I know is bad timing, but I really can't make anything on that one). March 12th-13th might also be occupied. Earlier is risky with snowstorms, later is all still open so far.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Chief

Post by Chief » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:32 am

This sounds really exciting and awesome, but it might be difficult for me. My spring break is march 21th-25th. That doesn't really seem to line up with anyone else. I'll try hard to make it, but don't plan around me.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:14 am

Official Doodle Calender created.

Please select the dates you are available. Easter is March 27th this year, so for that week I have Thursday through Saturday as the options. I get Good Friday off, so I'm willing to take Thursday off from work and maybe even a little Wednesday. The weekend of April 8th and the 9th I have to work.

Currently we are slated to camp out and fight really long OHS battles, possibly all day. I am, however, willing to adjust the playlist based off the interests of the personnel in attendance, so if that's not your thing don't let it deter you.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:35 pm

I put down the days I'd be available to fight. (In other words, not counting travel time.) You should put the calendar in the first post too.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Calender has been added to first post.

Update on battlefield -

Here's the map in progress. This is the western portion, or about 60% of the battlefield:
map.jpg
map.jpg (147.72 KiB) Viewed 13846 times
The actual file is much much higher quality, but I've compressed it for sake of the forum.

1) As you can see, the south is very hilly. Closest to the highway and exit ramp (the furthest south/southeast) you have a mix of pines, hardwoods, and high broomstraw grass and some rocks. There is a good amount of concealment here.

2) Moving north west - and this includes most of the hills - the forest is a mature stand of mixed hardwood, mostly Oak and Beech. Visibility is quite open and there is not much in the way of concealment at ground level.

3) Very dense lowland vegitation. Most of this area is sandy and not swampy. This is very similar to Saint John's woods except the privet actually grows twice as tall. Lots of hedges to hide in and lots of vines. Good concealment.

4) A mix of 2 and 3, with a moderate amount of concealment.

5) High grass. This mostly resembles a giant marsh, except somehow the ground is not "marshy" at all, but solid/sand, so you can move around through it quite easily. Much of the grass has been knocked down by the ice storm.

6) An eerie mix of giant thick hardwood trees and dense privet and hedges. This area has like 1000 mini streams that flow through it that I haven't put all on the map yet. You would think that the area in between would be marshy, because many of these streams are merely 5-20 meters apart, but the ground is solid. There are multiple islands and sandbars in this area as well.

7) Flooded open forest with massive amounts of briers and thornbushes. This is pretty much unusable. There is very little concealment and yet the briers massively impede your movement anyway.

I'm not quite sure what's in the ?. Read the Vermin War 12 story. I didn't get out that far.

To the right of this the pond opens up and then you get to the ruins. The ruins are really cool, but they are also on the extreme end of the battlefield, so it would be rare that fighting would end up there unless we end up doing traditional rounds and choose to fight there, which is also an option.

There's much to be added to this battlemap. When I'm done the map will be a lot more detailed as far as water is concerned. It will be shaded in by color to correspond to different types of vegitation and cover/concealment rather than this simple paint job that I did here. OFC the rest of the battlfield - the east - will be on here too.

I wanted to post this to give everyone an idea of what we will be fighting at and to promote discussion of the type of fighting everyone would like to do, ideas on how far apart and under what conditions campgrounds should be placed, etc.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Looking forward to seeing the map when it's finished. Would be cool if you printed them out and gave one to each team to use for strategy.

If the ruins are on the end of the battlefield, they might make a good base. You set up there in VW12, right? I re-read the story. Sounds like it was an awesome war. If this war ends up being similar to that, it would definitely be worth going to. Don't think 1HK would work in this situation, but I'm fine with 1HS. Perhaps squeezing in CTF would be cool as well. Maybe with unlimited flags. (Basically just put like 20 flags at each base and say that only one can be captured at a time.) If I do come I'd want the fighting to be all-day though. The transition to CTF would be instant. Maybe flags could be worth like 5 points or something. Or you could do CTF first and switch to 1HS after either a certain amount of time has passed, or a certain number of flags are captured by one side. There are lots of different ways to do this.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 am

If possible, I want to see this place the day before to get a working idea of where the most logical sites are for camping, flag bases, etc. Not sure if it will be possible, and a trip down *just* to scout a month in advance is probably not feasible this time. Is there any way you'd be able to make a walking video, like the Cedar Hill walkthrough? That video was about an hour in 2 parts and showed a continuous trip around the park. It's tough to get a feel for this place just from stills and the map, other than the hills.

My whole March is now fucked except the weekend of the 12th and that weekend is being floated for several events now - Moab, Quadranarfs, NENO...
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:09 am

Rob, I will try to put together a video this weekend. You are more than welcome to come down early, but I have a favor to ask. Come down a day early with the boys and their mom. I will pay for all the gas, tolls, and food for all of you. Anna wants to have some time to check out the area with Tiffany, look at apartments, the school she's transferring to, etc. You could use that extra day to scout the battlefield. If you want even more recon you are welcome to come down any time before that and devote your gas money to that as I can cover you when you bring the boys.

We need to spend a good amount of time looking into bases and game types. Perhaps we don't even need bases, but at the same, we kind of do by default because where else would we pitch the tents/food/etc?

One thing I've thought about playing out is to have an attacking team and a defending team, or home and guest/away if you will. This is not like HTL but more like D-Day at Normandy. The attacking/visiting team will be dropped off at the entrance site and then will have to fight their way in. We can go several ways from there.

A) Each team is even or is a rivalry team. The offense/visitors must fight their way to a specific flag to capture. Once the flag has been captured they can set up their base/tents there and each team has a break period to regroup and replan for the rest of the war - continuous long OHS

B) The visiting team is outnumbered but has a good map and more experience/veterans. The visiting players also have a respawn handicap that requires them to sit out much longer than the defense, but they can make it to any 1 of 3 flags to end the round. Having 3 flags keeps the defense from spawn camping and requires them to go on the hunt. Once the attackers have taken possession of a flag they can set up their base there and each team gets the rest period to plan for the rest of the war.

C) Teams are even but the offense gets the option to take 1 of 3 flags for bases. I think this puts more of an unbalance on the home team/defense and would have a greater possibility of not being able to find each other to fight/or the offense/visitors overwhelms a split defense. Probably not a good idea, but I am open to discussing it.

With 3 flags for possible bases we could place 1 in the ruins, 1 on an island, 1 on a hill/other location and then the offense gets the option of deciding where they think would be best to set up a camp/without telling the defense. A special forum could be created for each team for the war, or we could keep this rivalry if the team captains agree. Forums could be used to plot attack and defense maneuvers, which base to go after, etc. for the first battle or "campaign if you will."

If we don't have enough rivalry players or if team captains defer to play the rivalry and we decide to go the unbalanced route we could pack the visiting team with fast players and veterans, e.g. the Trettels, Rob, Brandon, & Keith as one team vs Me, Scott, Sam, Tony, Danny, David, Van James, and one or 2 of my friends. We could keep the unbalanced teams for the rest of the war, or after the first round we could rebalance the teams but still keep the heart of the teams the same.

Night battles will definitely be a priority. If the bases are far apart this could be an issue, however, as I can see people wandering around for hours in the swamp looking for each other. We could designate that the visiting team keeps the base that they went to earlier in the day and the home team has the option to move to a closer base for night war activity since it is their home field. This would work especially well if the visiting team chooses the ruins as it would force the home team to invade the ruins in the black of night. The ruins are spaced far enough apart to allow for different fronts to the same engagement, but are still all more or less connected - unlike at Northgate or the Cornish Estate.

Or we could just start at opposite ends of the park with no real home or visitor team and just duke it out as it comes.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:48 pm

I filled out the Doodle calendar. I only marked the weekends, but I should be able to make it around on the surrounding Fridays/Mondays too; I have to see what's going on at work. We don't know of projects until almost last-minute sometimes.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:52 am

I would be seriously interested in trying a 24 hour round where the entire night is in play. We floated this idea before, but never ended up going for it. I am super psyched just for the opportunity to do a 24 hour round and am ready to physically ramp up for it in the months ahead. It would be great to get back into good shape burning high energy again and start living a real life again, that round would give me the motivation and need to train. Of course, there is no secrecy in my night battle game plan - if you're not on my team, you're getting attacked all night long :p Home and visiting teams would let us do North vs South (you know I'm always up for that). There are many hardcore possibilities.

I am interested in trying for a visit down before the war. We didn't get much time to hangout at FF other than the first night.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

If you do a 24hr round you could pretty much count me in assuming you hold it during my break. I've wanted to do one since 2012. I'd probably just make it 1HS; adding objectives would likely just complicate things too much. I actually like the idea of north vs. south, but it would depend on who showed up. I also want to step up my workout game. I'm already in decent shape, but nowhere near what I could be. I don't really need the war for motivation, but it might help. It would only give us like two months to train though.

But if we are going to do this, we'll need to lock things down pretty soon. Would be cool if we could form teams ahead of time and plan, but I suppose most people wouldn't be able to commit that early.

One issue I recently realized I have is, none of my heavy primaries work anymore (and I don't have them with me to fix), which means I'd be going in with a 1200. It's competitive, but I can't really make hits with it like I can with say, a 1500 or 2000. Even in a medium-tier battle, I've always had trouble hitting anything with that gun. It used to be one of my favorites due to how well it feels in your hands, but it's fallen down the list recently. But of course it's not the end of the world. Just felt like sharing my observations.

I could also arrive early if the war is held on April 1st (or whatever it was). It would be fun to go there to scout the place and make plans several days in advance. Alternatively, if it's held on March 26th or 27th or whatever, I could stop by Scott's place on the way back and fight in the portable labyrinth with him and anyone else who'd be interested in coming along. That place is too awesome to fight at only once a year, and we don't know how much longer it'll be there. Anyone up for that? We could also screw around and go on random adventures as well. This could be the best spring break ever! I could definitely use it.

I have the water warfare bug at the moment for some reason, haha. Maybe because it was so beautiful today (52 degrees and sunny on the last day of January in effing Binghamton!). It feels like an early spring.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:39 am

If you want me to decide soon on the date and details of the war you need to get more people to vote. So contact your friends and board members (no, seriously) and get them to vote, because I'm not making a decision based off 4 people.

*edit*

Youtube video: https://youtu.be/WEqFeEII7kY

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Well I've been inactive for quite some time, I was hoping winter break would give me time to go on here, but honestly without the structure of school, I ended up going on here even less because I had too much free time! Anyway...

Not sure if I can make this one yet. My spring break is March 14-20, which doesn't seam to match with anyone else. Seams like the first weekend of April works best for people, but I need to check with my teacher to see if I can take that Monday off. Sounds like some want to arrive Thursday, but that would be too much for me. I have a night class Thursday, and an exam in my Friday morning class, so I couldn't leave then. Should be able to leave right after class though, so would probably still be there before dark.

SEAL: I can bring some additional blasters for you to use, so you should have a choice between ether a 1500 or 2500. Other then attack defend type rounds, I prefer to use medium guns anyway as I can be a lot more mobile. Of course that assumes that mine work, I haven't been good about cycling them this winter, but I will try and test them all in the next week and fix any that have problems.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"