MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:21 pm

^Ah, it's that time of the year again!

Though the portable labyrinth is in jeopardy, we have plans and ideas in the works for a more... permanent solution. It will take a lot of time and funding, however, and this funding isn't there yet.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I will be postponing MOAB to this Fall, or to next Spring.

The good news is that I'll have a house by then, so you have better lodging, and there seems to be a growing local interest among my friends. We may end up with more attendees. I am keeping this thread open in the event that we have it this fall. I may even just change the title if we do it in the Spring, since most of the information will be the same, and I like the idea of a "postponed" water war, rather than a "canceled" water war.

Also, if you have any suggestions for MOAB please keep posting here, even if it's for food, after hours activities, or transportation. I want this to be an absolutely sick/fun war.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Turns out I have other obligations that weekend anyway.

Unfortunately gas prices seem to be on the rise again; hopefully they won't be too bad by the time the war rolls around. Though I'm sure they won't be as high as they've been. Maybe the war should be held around Election Day. Don't they lower the prices then to try and gain votes? Haha.

But I'll still try to come of course (you're still going to do an all-day war, right?), as long as it works with my schedule.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:41 pm

So it is no longer happening in April then? Man I just told my teacher I was going to miss class on the 18th. Oh well, guess I better get started doing some scouting around here and make that Soakemore thread.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 pm

The battleground has been chosen - Little Creek

It is perfect for ambushing. You have to see this.

The primary game type will be long OHS. Now, when is everyone free to get wet?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 pm

I really like it, looks great for night battles as well. I'd actually bother to make a new camo cover for whatever gun still works if we fight there, can't risk being spotted until you step on me...

Not sure when I'll be available or not that far down the road. August is very busy, September and beyond is a total mystery. Planning & Zoning meets on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month, so if it's one of those, I'd need to leave earlier than usual. Considering how dead I am at 80 degrees right now, later in the year works better personally, lol.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri May 27, 2016 10:17 pm

I knew it had to be good since you actually called me to tell me about it, and it doesn't disappoint. From what I can tell, it looks a lot like my old local battlefield. I've wanted to fight there, but actually hosting a large-scale war at that location would be difficult. You said this place was about 200 acres? I'm definitely down for a 24hr balls-to-the-wall war here. No standing around or anything, just fight for the entire time we're there.

I'm always free to get wet. :lol: But in all seriousness, I can probably work something out in October, but it'll likely be unpredictable. I can skip class, but not if there's an exam or something. Also it looks like my friends and I will be flying to Denver around then to go to a student summit thing for a club that I'm a board member of. Definitely do NOT want to miss that, haha.

But I do want to have a hardcore water war at least once in my lifetime, so I will make an effort to attend this.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat May 28, 2016 1:01 am

With what I'm working on this summer, I'd like to avoid having anything until late August or so. Time will tell, and with some major plans in the works, I have no idea how things will play out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat May 28, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm going to be gone for the Army through September 20th and then Tiffany and I are probably going on a cruise because she's never been out of the country. We are probably going to the Caribbean and then will stay on one of the islands.

I'd like to have this in October, but if school and work schedules work out more in November I can do that. Perhaps even in December, since it would be really great for Ben and Drench to come. October would be preferable though, as we still have a decent amount of foliage here at that time. I don't think we've ever had a water war in early or mid Fall, have we? It's usually late Fall when we have Frozen Fury.

This battlefield is so close, but also so remote. I found a single piece of trash the entire time back there and it was washed up on the bank and had been carried downstream. I also found a mussel which is good indication of aquatic health.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Looks like a great battlefield.

I doubt I could do anything between when I leave Maryland this summer (haven't decided yet) and next summer. I'm trying to finish up my PhD as quickly as possible and travel doesn't work well with that.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat May 28, 2016 5:22 pm

The next time I be on the East coast would be around December 10th, and I'll be back on the West coast around New Year's Day. Little Creek definitely looks like a great battlefield, with some good open areas and a stream nearby, lots of cover too. If this is held during December, I'd most likely come to it.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat May 28, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that's Frozen Fury season, lol.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 am

Here is a screenshot from Google Maps.
MOAB Map.PNG
MOAB Map.PNG (596.53 KiB) Viewed 11159 times
At the top of the map you can see the dam and ruins from where I previously wanted to fight. The new battle site, which is featured in the video, is south of the Clayton Bypass on either side of Little Creek, with JJ Farms on One Side and Redbud Ct subdivision on the other. Generally, I'm assuming we will use the first 400 yards going North-South from the highway. If you keep going south there's essentially 10-15 miles of massive woods until you reach downtown Smithfield. In fact, the forest really broadens out after the first 400 yards (this would be at the bottom of the map). For our purposes, I think a narrower battlefield would make our fighting more dynamic. We don't want people wandering around indefinitely and getting lost. The most narrow portion would be about 85 yards, so that's still plenty of room to maneuver. The very aproximate size of the area in red is about 3.8 acres.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Have we decided when to hold this? I know we have some time, but it's better to plan things out early than to do it last-minute. If I am to come to this, I want it to be legendary. I want the whole war to be one round, with team cores chosen ahead of time so they can plan together. We've done 16 wars with the whole 'multiple short-length and short-distance rounds' setup, and I think it's high time we try something different and go long. Even if it's just once. I know not everyone will like it, but to be fair I don't really like playing the shorter style unless it's in a place like the Labyrinth or Sycamore Island/Danbury Greenway.

We could go for 12 or 24 hours, or even 48 (aka all weekend) if we wanted to go really hard. This is what I envision: you arrive early and set up our base camps. You have a certain amount of time to relax, make plans, and do some scouting, but once the start time arrives, it's war. You're subject to attack at any time, and must plan refills, meals, and rest periods accordingly. You've been planning with your team online for months, and now it's time to prove to the enemy just who the greatest water warrior really is.

Or something like that. The gametype and schedule can be ironed out. It will likely require lots of planning, which is why it would be good if we could start early. Right now we have a battlefield, and a rough idea of what time of year the war will be. That ought to be narrowed down soon. We're looking at October onward, correct? I'll check to see when my holidays are, but of course I'll skip class if the war is epic enough. Note that the 15th-16th most likely won't work.

The first post should be updated as well. If we do a single-round war, I'll do everything I can to help out and make it happen. We should try to get a group chat going.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Still skeptical on the whole 24 hour war concept, but given that it could be extremely epic, I'd still like to try it. Worst come to worse we call it short after 8-10 hours, but that would still be like 4 times longer then anything we have done before. My main concern is what happens once it gets dark, not even going into the ankle twisting hazard of playing in the woods in poor visibility, so much of play relies on being able to see where my shots are landing relative to my target. I'd only consider calling it off if lots of people want too, even if I'm stumbling around in the dark and missing every shot, I will stick with it so long as the rest of my team is happy. Assuming other people are able to do well in the dark, after an hour or two, I'll probably start to get the hand of it too. Who knows, maybe I will own everyone after the sun goes down!
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm

After thinking about it some more I'd say it's probably better to start out with just 12ish hours and see how it goes. How much of that is in the daytime and how much is at night can be for us to decide.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:30 am

Would anyone be able to attend a war held the weekend of the 24th and 25th of September? I have Wednesday to Friday off. I graduate from this army school on that Tuesday.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:48 am

That sounds good unless I have an exam, but there weren't any around that time last year, so fingers crossed. It's good to do it earlier so that there's more vegetation. Also, school work will haven't had time to pile up yet.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm

I'd be down for that. Currently I am busy the 16th-18th of September, but nothing planned yet for October.

marauder

Re: Frozen Fury/or other War

Post by marauder » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:16 am

I have a final interview for a job in town on December 1st. That dictates my availability currently, as I won't be able to take time off if I start a new job, but I will have more time off later if I do. I'm working for the Army the weekend after that. Tiff and I have talked about going to MD, but I'm not sure if we will have time to do more than see my family and meet up with Nick and his GF.

That being said, Tiff has said she misses New England and NY in the winter, so I may be able to swing something for Dec or early Jan.

Would anyone consider coming to NC this winter or early next Spring? SEAL can you ask Keith?