MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: MOAB 2016 (Official Thread)

Post by DX » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 pm

So, I caught one hell of a flu and was down for two weeks. Feeling much better now, with a voice again and all. I want to thank Marauder for hosting us and Tiff for making breakfast and juice.

I loved the battlefield, although we didn't go as far down as I would have liked. There was a lot of interesting terrain there, with more potential than the open grass below the bridges. I got to see quite a bit of it after running for my life and hiding in a grass bush way down that way. This was definitely on par with the wars of old, with crawling in the bushes, fording the creek, running away to refill, stalking and hunting the enemy...even snatching a CPS 2100 from a cache about 70ft in front of their faces.

Travel logistics for the teams could be improved. I think both should be dropped off along the highway to avoid the long walk in. Pandemonium B location taught me that those long walks with gear through thick terrain sap people of energy. Also, we should probably carry radios. Team comm would be great, but they'd be mostly for emergency comm.

Also, people shouldn't give up too easily. The teams looked a bit unbalanced, but those teammate combos are literally what people wanted (democracy ftw), and there were plenty of times when the other team was running the table, controlling territory and pace. They forced us to run away in several encounters, had Brandon trapped 1v5 at one point, hit Ben 1v2 under a bridge, and pinned me and Ben up high. That war was totally winnable for them, they just needed to be more coordinated and fully utilize their number and weapons advantages.

Anyway, very fun, would play again!
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks for the input guys. And thanks again to everyone for making the fight. I hope you had as much fun as I did.
DX wrote:I loved the battlefield, although we didn't go as far down as I would have liked. There was a lot of interesting terrain there, with more potential than the open grass below the bridges. I got to see quite a bit of it after running for my life and hiding in a grass bush way down that way.
I would like to explore the battlefield further down the creek to see if we could push the fighting in that direction. Rob, maybe you should bring your kayak down sometime this spring and we can kayak the creek and look for mussels and fighting locations.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 am

I might have been a bit too harsh with my criticism, sorry. Course my apology is two weeks late because I got so mad at the criticism of my criticism I rage quit the site for a bit, lol!

Anyway I second what a lot of others were saying, the battlefield was one of the best ever. I agree the area under the freeway wasn't as interesting as the rest of it. My team had originally planned on just using it as a staging/regrouping area between hunts, but between me being sick and others getting tired, we ended up going there more often then intended. Finding a closer spot to drop off would be nice, but at least for me, the main problem was just that I was sick (and it sounds like I ended up giving it to DX and HBWW, sorry about that).

Sickness also meant that I was down to about 40% and so I couldn't really rush/chase, leaving Danny and HBWW the only ones who could do that kind of thing. I remember Friday night I remember my team conceding defeat already, I tried to talk them out of it, but it didn't really work. I still feel we fought really hard, if I had been able to run around and flank, we might have been able to pull off a win!

I'd definitely be up for more long rounds in the future, I've even been considering having one at Soakemore, though I'm not sure how well the island would work for that kind of thing, probably depends how tall the underbrush is. We'll see, I intend to make a Soakemore planning thread soon, so we can talk about it more then.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:36 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:Anyway I second what a lot of others were saying, the battlefield was one of the best ever.
Glad to hear it. Do you have a lot of footage from the war? I would like to get that from you.

Also, I think that long rounds would work well at Soakermore.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:24 am

I have some footage, not sure how much of it is usable though. My head cam was pointing in the right direction this time, but because I was constantly looking around so much in battle, it is kind of hard to make out what is going on. There are certainly portions that are usable if you intend to edit them into something else though. Any ideas on how I could get it to you?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

I think that Keith is actually doing the video editing. We need to remind him to bring his laptop to Soakermore. There are various ways we can transfer the files from that point.

I want to encourage everyone who has an action cam to bring it. Even if you only get a few minutes worth of decent footage it's worth it. The more perspectives we have, the better.

Later on this year we may have another MOAB. Perhaps in the late summer. It seems like northern wars are off right now as there is an issue with lodging/hosting that is no fault to the people who live up that way. It may be on Scott and I to carry the fight right now. I plan on kayaking further down little creek and doing a bit of video recording. I can put together a video and some reporting on if further down the creek is a worthy battlefield. We would still probably do the invade/defend thing, but I would put the less experienced (if there is one) team on defense. That being said, the defending team will need to get up earlier and be willing to get in position before the offense moves in.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 am

Sounds like it was a great war and I'm sorry I missed it, hopfully I can manage to make it to Soakmore 2017 if the timing is right.
[banana] :cps3000:
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: