Frozen Fury 2015 Official Information Thread

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
c0chise

Re: Frozen Fury 2015 Official Information Thread

Post by c0chise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:23 pm

I like the idea of continuous fighting. I will be fighting with medium or light weaponry unless I can borrow something. Ii don't like the idea of playing without some kind of hits or score based round(s)... My friends and I have been trying to do more elimination style rounds. I'm still not that quick but I've gotten a bit better. I've got a great amount of endurance, just not very explosive.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Duxburian wrote:OHK doesn't work in a place like this, where you can run away ad infinitum. There's a reason why I never run OHK rounds anymore, unless the area is very constrained. The mornings will also be very cold, perhaps in the upper 20s, and I don't want to have people standing around waiting. Remember, you have to treat this as a winter war. Waiting is bad, standing is bad.
Yeah, it was like high 70s all last week and now all of a sudden it's 45. Annoying. OHK is still my favorite type of round, but I get what you're saying. There's always 1hk + CTF. You can't run away indefinitely because they'd eventually get your flag and you'd lose.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

c0chise

Post by c0chise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:32 pm

actually I think it might be fun to try something o ther than what I've been playing. Especially due to the weather.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm OHK/OHS all the way. OFC I just saw that it may be in the 30s and icey. Ummm.... ??? I will still show up if this is the case. I just wonder if everyone else will. Everyone wear gloves, and bring spares. I'm serious.

I still think we could do some kind of OHK or OHS hybrid. Like hits count for points. We could do OHS + CTF. Flags = 5 points, hits = 1. At the end of the round the team with the most points wins. But that really works best when the flags are pretty far apart. Otherwise I hate to admit but it may be best to just do 2 flag CTF.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:48 pm

I didn't see any ice. It may rain on Friday night, but it is only forecast to drop to 39. Sunday morning is for realsies though, it'll start at 24 and probably still be in the high 20s when we start.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Rivalry Teams
Duxburian
Marauder
Tony
Danny
CA99
Cochise

SEAL
CHIEF
Firebird
Scottthewaterwarrior
ChivestheChimp
Nick Marvin
Snoop Doggy Doge

6 v 7 with possibility of 6 v 6 if John doesn't show or 7 v 7 if Cochise brings a friend.

Non Rivalry
Marauder
Scottthewaterwarrior
Tony
Danny
Nick Marvin

Duxburian
CA99
Cochise
ChivestheChimp
Snoop Doggy Doge

In reality it doesn't matter if I get Nick, Chives, or Snoop; the point is that we each have 3 less experienced teammates.

or

Marauder
Duxburian
Tony
Danny

Scotthewaterwarrior
CA99
Cochise
ChivestheChimp
Snoop Doggy Doge
Nick Marvin

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Roster sorted by Nerf war attendance (estimated):

Core Nerfing Group:
Duxburian
Snoop Doggy Doge
Nick Marvin
CA99

Been to ~2-5 Nerf wars:
SEAL
Firebird
Scottthewaterwarrior

Haven't Nerfed with any of us:
CHIEF
Marauder
Tony
Danny
Cochise
ChivestheChimp

Not sure how to actually balance this lol. It'll likely be split at SEAL/Firebird and Scott.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

c0chise

Post by c0chise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Or we could do this by bmi...

BBW & Chubby chasers vs the world

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:03 pm

We aren't even 100% set picking teams, yet someone's already trying to talk shit. :lol:

Edit:
While I may not have enough sass to truly qualify as a BBW (even though my hair's grown a lot longer than what you see in my avatar), I do have an offer: Duelfest!

We pick our loadouts within what we bring, and DX + Marauder are the referees. If you win, you can run your mouth all you want (at least until the WWn hosting I paid for runs out next August, then we'll figure it out), as long as it's directed to me and no one else. If you lose, well, then, let's just say the banhammer is in easy reach if you want to speak up again!

Alternatively, we can duel with matching-class Nerf blasters (under 320 FPS), again, with whatever we bring.

That'll provide a nice way to settle this whole BBW thing, and the rest of you guys attending the war get a nice spectator event.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Chupacabra

Post by Chupacabra » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Can't wait until Frozen Fury 2015.
The fighting area looks really cool although technically it's a Fall Fury. I forgot the other post that said this thought, you no who you are:). I love the terrain. Looks super legit. From the looks of the pictures this is going to be a cool war. Love the woods. It's gonna be weird having leaves still on the trees lol, but I think I can deal with it.
"This message has been brought to you by GassyMexican".

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Been pretty bad with keeping up with the board (but hey what else is new) so given that this is only a few days away I just figured I'd poke my head in so that people know I am still coming attending. <- I've learned my lesson not to use such words with Duxburian around! :goofy:

The location looks really nice, should be really good. I'm actually rather excited for the rivalry again, nothing quite gets my blood flowing like fighting off both DX and M4 at the same time! I'll probably bring quite a few blasters, including a few broken ones that hopefully I can fix there. Duxburian: did you find those screws yet? My broken 1000 is pretty much fixed (though I want to K-Mod it still) my parents just lost the screws to put it back together! I might borrow some of that silicone lube ,make blaster work better stuff, that you have too, as I think the stuff I bought is a little too thick.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

c0chise

Post by c0chise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:55 pm

duxburian and m4 (marauder?) don't look that thick, so I'm guessing scott's not a chubby chaser.

BBW you're loosing allies by the minute!

Duel with nerf blasters at a water war? You're that guy who goes to a nice Italian restaurant and orders the chicken fingers with fries aren't you? Or maybe a corn dog. You look like you've eaten quite a few corn dogs in your life. Do they sell fried corn dogs at the Michigan state fair? Your alternate team name can be the cornholes.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 am

This is fucking hilarious. When you're done venting your insecurities, come bring it this weekend.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 am

Your guys banter is hilarious! And no I'm not fat, but unfortunately I'm not really that thin anymore ether, so I'm not as in shape as I used to be. My biggest flaw is strategy though, sometimes I let the heat of battle get to me a little and will just charge a hill over and over thinking that if I just will myself to win, this time I can take the three CPS 2000 wielding people at the top.

Don't underestimate HBWW ether he has a habit of getting you when you don't expect it. Really makes me wish he was on my team for the rivalry, we work really well together, me charging straight up the middle, and him flanking.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:02 am

Posting Danny's thoughts about an all day war:
Uncle Ben personally I would be fine with an all day war. But it all depends on what the other guys think. I think it be cool if we did and all day war but took 5-8 minute brakes. But again personally im fine with an all day War. It be cool to do a night war, but I don't no about the other guys. The last war was AWESOME. The war was legit. Cave war was awesome although i was a walking target. But it was a cool experience. I loved the all day war. I think the coolest aspect of this war was the night war. I loved the stealth aspect it truly brought to the game, although their is stealth in the common water war, it was truly scary, watching your partner. Their also was watching out for car lights........we were on private property so we had to keep a close eye for the cops. We even had a really close call. You can ask Scott about that LOL. Anyways again I would be perfectly fine with having all day war. I guess it just depends what the other guys.
So the general consensus seems to be trending toward yes on an all day war. That's like 3 votes yay and 0 nay so far?

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 am

Looks like I'm going to have to come now, haha. Just let me stock up on popcorn. So it looks like I can leave here way the eff early on Saturday for the fighting then and stay overnight. On Sunday my family is having their big dinner thing so I'd probably leave early for that. I can still probably fight for a little while on Sunday though.

Also, Duxburian's campaign idea sounds pretty solid. If we do continuous fighting might I suggest making the start time later? If I have to get up at like 5 I probably won't have enough energy for the day. I also threw my back out in the gym while trying to be a hard-ass, so I don't know how effective I'm going to be.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Alfatrooper

Post by Alfatrooper » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, and I understand how difficult it is to organize and run a war. However there are a few things I have noticed about the past few wars that I think would be important conversation points and might overall effect the outcome. The first is what is the best way to have an actual start time in the morning? It seems like people are always late and it is very difficult to actually start the war. Waiting on people to show up completely slows down the entire event. Also when we go out to travel to the staging area, I think it is important to not leave people behind. That being said, no one likes waiting and people should be more organized and completely ready to go after the cars are parked.

My next point is the down time after arriving at the staging area and before the start of the first round. At Pandemonium, people were exhausted after walking, probably due to all of the stuff they were carrying. Eliminating the amount of blasters we are bringing would be simpler, and I think people overpack. Since there is water at this venue, I don't think we will need to bring as much stuff this time. Especially because some of the stuff we brought wasn't even used or was only used once.

I personally love the idea of playing the entire day, but I don't think people have the physical fitness required to do that. Not having down time would mean people being very fast to get water as well as perfect communication. Once someone sits down, everyone does and then the next round can't happen until everyone is ready. We don't really have enough people to run rounds with people sitting out, and they are so long anyway that it would be boring for the people not playing. I think the main problem is people are out of shape. If we go in with everyone willing to play the entire day, I think it can happen, but at the same time I think people will become very tired and we will have the same problem.

Other things that slow down the day are: people eating at different times, mounting cameras on blasters, keeping a record of hits, drawing blasters, and putting on face paint. I know a lot of those things are "traditional" water warfare activities, but I find it really annoying to wait on everyone for an hour after getting to the staging area before we can start a round. Those types of things could be done before and that way no one is waiting on people. If we want more people to enter the hobby I think it is important to cut down on the things that slow down our events. In terms of keeping a score book, people could just remember who they hit and who hit them, as well as the different teams and blasters.

Also, certain rounds inherently have more down time than others. I didn't really see the point in having a one hour VIP round where it was all walking around looking for people. It just didn't seem like a very good use of time when we could be playing something more intense like CTF. A lot of people really like those types of rounds, and I know there is a balance of game types already, but I am not sure it is inviting to new players.

On a different note, is there any way of getting higher attendance? It seems like every war we try to get more and more people, but the numbers remain about the same. I do understand how unpredictable life is, and how difficult it is to make things happen the way people would like. I think a good test for this war is to see how Nick Marvin likes it. If he gives it a positive rating, then we may be able to bring more nerfers into the hobby.

I will be there on Sunday, I unfortunately am still busy Saturday with family. Does anyone mind letting me borrow a blaster again?

Alfatrooper

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Alfatrooper wrote:Other things that slow down the day are: people eating at different times, mounting cameras on blasters, keeping a record of hits, drawing blasters, and putting on face paint. I know a lot of those things are "traditional" water warfare activities, but I find it really annoying to wait on everyone for an hour after getting to the staging area before we can start a round. Those types of things could be done before and that way no one is waiting on people.
These aren't "traditional" water war activities, they're actually a modern development; and you're right, they definitely need to be addressed.

Proposed rules -

Facepaint must be applied before arrival or after a round has started
Cameras must be mounted before arrival or after a round has started

In the army you have everything prepared the night before the mission. We need a night before checklist for everyone who's staying in groups. Guns should be filled (but not pressurized) and packed in the car, cameras should be mounted, food should be packed in the car, and clothes should be laid out for the morning.
Alfatrooper wrote: Not having down time would mean people being very fast to get water as well as perfect communication.
Refilling should be part of the battle. The idea of refilling as something you do between rounds is a new thing. Refilling in game requires tactical thinking which makes the battle more dynamic. It's not like, "Oh wait, stop the game, I gotta refill," It's like, "How are we going to achieve our goal now that the enemy has a power play?"
Alfatrooper wrote:On a different note, is there any way of getting higher attendance? It seems like every war we try to get more and more people, but the numbers remain about the same. I do understand how unpredictable life is, and how difficult it is to make things happen the way people would like. I think a good test for this war is to see how Nick Marvin likes it. If he gives it a positive rating, then we may be able to bring more nerfers into the hobby.
We are drawing people from multiple states, so in a way, we are doing things that other hobbies aren't. The issue is that we don't have core local groups like we used to. We have individuals who are scattered geographically. Tapping into the Nerf community seems like a very good idea, though I've never been to a Nerf war. Tell your friends to come.

With that being said, there is always the issue of quality vs quantity. I will be hosting MOAB next year in North Carolina. I'm not sure how many of you in the northeast would be able to carpool to the event, but I have a large number of people I could invite, like 25 on top of all our members here. Inviting 25 people of varying interest levels may possibly not achieve the most desirable outcome. The less serious participants would be goofing around which would frustrate other people. I enjoy making jokes and having fun, but there would be a lot of the kind of downtime that all of us desperately want to avoid due to people doing stupid things like shooting each other between rounds. Been there, seen it happen. The key is to bring in as many people as possible who have the right temperament and interest. On top of that you can invite ones and twos who may or may not be as serious, because we want the numbers and we want to introduce them to the game, but you never want them to be the majority. When you are the majority they are more likely to stick to fighting. If you get a lot of people who are only partially interested the overall intensity can suffer. The same is true if you have a clash in what people want to play.

For instance, I absolutely love 1hk and I think that stalking is part of the fun. SEAL, and a number of other older members are really into 1hk. You have to have a good, thick or industrial battleground to play it and there are lots of tactics and strategies involved. When we get hit we have fun by cheering on our teammates and or picking up a camera and filming. In the Vermin Wars we also used this as your one opportunity to eat - and dry off or change or refill if needed. This has been the case historically, and don't confuse this with the long amount of time it's been taking people to get ready for battle, that is a new thing. Some of us would rather have intense ambushes and stalking even if it means less fighting than more fighting but less tactics, ambushing, and stalking. To SEAL and I there is a huge difference between standing around organizing the battle and stalking. Stalking isn't downtime to us. We are in kill mode. It's very primal. The appeal of VIP/kill the president is that it's all strategy. You try to find the best way to get an objective accomplished and there is lots of stealth involved. It's not the same, or as intense as 1hk to me, and it's not my favorite, but it is similar. Historically water wars has been much much closer to manhunt than to nerf.

There have been a lot of wars, that unfortunately many of you didn't have the pleasure of attending, where people made kills by lying in mulch piles, from hiding in the attic of an abandoned building, from climbing on top of roofs, and from crawling around an entire field.

The ideal scenario for everyone is lots of action that is reliant upon close range ambushes. This is difficult to facilitate as it requires the right battlefield. I am putting a lot of work into a battlefield for this sort of battle next year. I would love your input on this project and really hope you can make the war.

With that being said, we want to maximize the fun for everyone, and I am all about big tent atmosphere and bringing people in. There is definitely a way to find common ground between nerf style and manhunt/mil-sim. We are working out the kinks right now, but I think the result will end up being amazing.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Alfatrooper, I think our downtime is actually comparable to most Nerf events I've been to, but the good side is that we get longer games. I do agree that streamlining things would be beneficial though, and that for fields with long walks, we should definitely cut down on the gear we carry. Waiting for cameras has definitely caused some delay between games (which is why I use the head cam), but I haven't noticed facepaint being too major of an issue.

If we want to spend a day playing long-form OHS, that'll be fun, but we should also have another day focused on mid-length mixtures of objective and OHS rounds.
There is definitely a way to find common ground between nerf style and manhunt/mil-sim. We are working out the kinks right now, but I think the result will end up being amazing.
I think we've definitely found good common ground: Fast-paced close quarters! I like the Soakemore venues for this, and I think we have the best variety in there. Maybe I'll get a video out someday, as the gameplay is very high quality.

For everything else, I don't think the woods environment and gameplay will really change. We can try the campaign/rolling objectives game, but I don't think it'll make a significant change to how the games play out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare