Frozen Fury 2015 Planning Thread

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: Frozen Fury 2015 Planning Thread

Post by DX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:14 am

Yes, still that weekend.

THE SEARCH IS OVER! I've finally found a venue that scores highly on my list of criteria. Unfortunately, I forgot to put a memory card in my camera again before going out, so I'll have to go again for pictures. The venue is the Diamond Hill uplands section of Saugatuck Falls in Redding, CT. We used the Saugaway section during the Last Chance LBW war. The uplands are definitely a better location, and much lighter on your aerobic system. The playing area starts on the backside of Saugatuck Mountain and extends to a power line right of way. The forest is wet, dark, and contains small hills that are defensible, but easily attacked. Small pine trees mix in with large deciduous trees, reducing sightlines. The pines will stay green and keep their needles all year, so that alone makes it better than most northeast forests.

To get there, we use the little-known Diamond Hill Road entrance instead of the main entrance. I learned about the Diamond Hill entrance from 1990s era maps of the park. The road for it looks like a private driveway, but the house is way in the back around a corner. The parking area is totally empty and out of sight from the main road and private homes.

The staging area is on Saugatuck Mountain. Despite the name, it's more like a large hill, but it commands the center of the park. Google Maps says around 550ft, GPS Tracker says 757ft. This is an easy and short walk up due to being approached from the Diamond Hill side, where we start with elevation from the parking area. It's the gradual side, so you might not even notice the height unless you read this. However, the Saugaway side has a 400ft drop-off and acts as an out of bounds line that is too obvious to miss. It takes 4 minutes to drive from my house to the parking area, and 5 minutes to walk from the parking area to the staging area.

There is a small creek between the parking area and Saugatuck Mountain that acts as an on-site water source. It's the only permanently flowing one I've found so far in the uplands, and is located in the tactically worst part of the playing area, so plan accordingly. The Saugatuck River flows below the uplands, but I don't want to walk down there unless we have to. We might refill at the waterfall just so you can see a waterfall. I need to see if it's even running with the ongoing drought.

The western boundary is a power line right of way with views across to another ridge. It's pretty scenic and hard to miss. The right of way path is in-bounds so you can transfer between the several trails that cross it.

The southern boundary is TBA. With the limited daylight I had to work with today, I did not have time to find a boundary there.

The uplands support all our usual gametypes. I want to have at least one Outpost game with really spread out bases. I'm currently making a GPS+GIS map of the playing area for everyone, you'll need it if we do Outpost.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

c0chise

Post by c0chise » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 am

That sounds really cool...

I think small pine trees are better than the big ones because they are thicker and better for hiding and ambushing. With the location of the water it may make refilling a tactical decision. I would really like to play longer more team centric rounds than short rounds where we switch weapons and teams every 30 minutes. I know you're the host so you got the power but I want to max out fighting and I really think I can hang with you guys athletically. I have been training a lot lately. Lets do some intense killer rounds. Maybe only switch teams 2 or 3 times in a day. Is anyone else feeling that? I really like CTF and 1hk. That's what my friends and I have been playing all summer, and 1hs + CTF, where flags count for 5 points and hits count for 1.

Just a thought, but if this turns out to be really good then maybe this could be like a permanent battleground and training area for all of those in the area? I think I'm close enough to where I could make an event every other month or so. Would really like to develop some sort of team dynamic...

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:46 am

Sounds like a nice area, small pines do work really well for cover. Reminds me a bit of that first round in Downpour 2011, Dug Hill really didn't have too many pines, but that spot we retreated to after you ambushed us had a few and they were really nice. I should head up to Blockhouse point again with my camera sometime next week, I plan to do the island again for my war this year, but for the other day Blockhouse has potential.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:56 am

I'm looking forward to this map. I think that our community has the best battle maps out there. It's not even close. How thick is most of the battlefield?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:31 pm

It's not as thick is you're all wanting, but it's the best I can find, given the many parameters a good park needs to fulfill. I am working on GIS today, it sucks though, as my computer is barely powerful enough to run it. CT uses an expensive, proprietary program for GIS, I use a free/open source program. The state has files for it, but you don't get a nice selection - you download the entire state or nothing. Panning or zooming a map that contains 2ft contour lines for the entire state, with a 2010 MBP, takes about 20-30 seconds per click!
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:06 pm

What are your current computer's specs? Are you needing a faster GPU, CPU, more RAM, or what?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 pm

I need faster and more everything, entirely different class of computer user now. I can push a $9,300 maxed out Mac Pro to its processing limits with routine tasks, but I don't have the budget for a real Mac anymore. My next computer is going to be custom built Hackintosh by sheer need. Need the best processor possible with the most cores possible, need the most RAM possible, need at least one good GPU, need at least 10 tb of space, need a variety of ports and fast ones.

c0chise

Post by c0chise » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:44 pm

BUMP

We need a planned game list so I can start figuring out my weaponry layout and whether or not to buy some guns off ebay... would also help to convince friends to come.

Also got pics of the place?

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:42 am

This thread isn't needed anymore, since Rob opened the official http://waterwar.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=6861 topic. Discussion locked.